Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When my wife was pregnant (back in the days with time to spare), I found some emulator and started playing it again. First time in probably 25 years.

Ended up spending 3 hours at a time.

While the world moved on to high Def fast rendering 3D games, here I am playing with 8 hits.

I am old.
I see your 'old' video game and raise you a wooden maze:
wooden-maze.png

Update those sigs, people. TMC posts are being screen-shotted and used in a non-helpful way.

Oh no - Vice made us famous (yet again)
I thought we dodged a bullet when some TMC posts were mistakenly identified as reddit/WSB. Oh well...

Guess this time it is not a spotlight, but a searchlight!

(Just in passing... too bad that otherwise rebellious Vice didn't really bother to put any real journalism effort into researching the multi-year, actual and objective, true fact, smear campaign against Elon and Tesla before labeling us conspiracy theorists. Too bad that reality is not conspiracy, and there is not much theory about it.)

In general, the problem affecting TSLA is naked shorting (via the Madoff exemption to Regulation SHO) widely conducted by Options market makers/hedge funds (who can be both). Even certain retail brokers were caught short with the surprise 5:1 share dividend in Aug 2020 and could not deliver the rightly-owned number of shares to their retail customers.
I don’t think I ever shared this, but the failure-to-deliver was captured in perpetuity on my E*Trade monthly account statement. Notice a discontinuity? That was where my share's values were decreased by 80%, but the share count had not yet been increase 5x.

A15349DF-5171-42EA-944C-5161955446AA.jpeg

Ahh. 2020 was a good year...

I fully support asking about Dojo and DWS. Not sure how much team Elon is willing to tell us - yet. But for sure, ask away. Even the way Elon dodges or evades a question can sometimes contain useful information.
I don’t know that Dojo has reached design goals yet. I would expect that had it reached design goals then it be obvious in the form of accelerating release of FSD versions. Instead we are seeing rewrites (a good thing). Putting focus on Dojo too much seems counter productive and speculative in an unhelpful manner.

This is a report focused on finances. The focus of questions must include details of the decision by Zach to invest over 1 billion dollars in a speculative asset like Bitcoin and whether that investment involves any quid pro quo of any kind? Did this investment deliver a business result? Was it properly vetted? Seems there was a SW issues nearly immediately requiring a fix by Tesla. Did the vetting surface this issue prior to the billion dollar investment or was it a surprise?

These are tough questions of Zach but stockholders deserve more than a few jokes on Twitter. Now is the time for this particular information.

Asking questions about an incomplete technology (Dojo) seems premature IMO. There will be a time but wait until it is done at least.

Anybody else notice this?

This new speed sign also shows that the speed limit in wet road conditions should be reduced by 4 km/h (80 km/h vs. 84 km/h Max with speed sign detection).
I have seen this shown before in 'behind the scenes' autopilot videos shared by tesla, but this is the first time (AFAIK) that this information is considered accurate enough to be shown to normal drivers.

This indicates that tesla autopilot can now do something lidar DEFINITELY cannot do, and also how they are steadily moving through the list of things AP needs in order to drive as safely as a human in all conditions.

Obviously this wont get any coverage, because it goes against the 'tesla bad' narrative, but it gives me extra confidence as an investor that while everyone is trying to spread FUD about autopilot, it just *keeps* *getting* *better*. I can't wait for a non-EU-hobbled model Y to go on sale in the UK so I can trade in my AP1 model S.

Unknown. First I've heard of this new SEC rule. We here at TMC prefer to waste time posting dog meme content than discussing SEC policy, or deleting valid news affecting the progression and rollout of FSD (c.f. specious moderation).

In general, the problem affecting TSLA is naked shorting (via the Madoff exemption to Regulation SHO) widely conducted by Options market makers/hedge funds (who can be both). Even certain retail brokers were caught short with the surprise 5:1 share dividend in Aug 2020 and could not deliver the rightly-owned number of shares to their retail customers.

The S&P 500 addition resulted in another surprise runup from $705 to $900 in early Jan 2021. AGAIN, large number of shares purchased by index funds actually had to be delivered to customers that won't be conned (perhaps ~50M of which were sold short at the Closing Cross on Fri, Dec 18, 2020). Purchasing those 50M shares from rightful owners required a rapid runup in the SP to balance supply with demand. Now, MMs have likely shorted those shares again to retail bag holders (who don't know they've been shorted) and suppressed the SP again via perpetual shorting strategies.

How will this new SEC rule on stock holdings and equity reserve affect hedgies ability to maintain perpetual short positions? The obvious problem with implementing such a rule is if the equity reserve requirement is based on the suppressed (shorted) SP, rather than an underlying economics valuation based on SP supply'n'demand. At any rate, I expect hedgies will adapt quickly, rather than give up their lucrative scam.

Tesla can again take advantage of this with a series of surprise stock dividends combined / followed by well-timed share offerings. But Tesla doesn't need the money as much now, its a distraction from the Mission, and it doesn't fix the underlying systemic problem (which is rampant couterfeiting of shares by priviledged market participants, enabled by willful lack of SEC oversight).

Only some sort of block-chain technology applied to the entire inventory of TSLA equity has the potential to fix the underlying problem in the long term. I suspect that Tesla's growing experience in crypto-currancies will help enable this fix in the long run. I expect that NASDAQ will either adopt these reforms in the future, or go out of business as large tech companies flee older, antiquated markets to prosper on modern, secure markets which implement block-chain.

But make no mistake, this is a systemic problem, one which now has been brought to public attention by the GameStop $GME saga (where 140% of the companies equity was sold short, meaning BY DEFINITION that there is no control or safeguard in the existing rules)

Either way, in the long run Tesla will prosper and the future will be better because of it. We have reached critical mass and success is now inevitable, in spite of the flailing MSM and their increasingly desparate and impotent FUD (side-burn Verge).

Cheers!
Great post!
Be interesting to see if the new administration has any real desire to fix the systemic problem built-in and designed for 'opportunities'.
Oh, wait, the new SEC nominee is from the GS. Well, we have our answer.

Times when I won’t use AP is when I don’t trust the driving of the humans around me; speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, impatient, clearly agitated, tailgating, running up bumpers, aggressive braking or acceleration, texting, wandering in and out of their lane, yelling at their kids, fixing their hair etc... I know exactly what the car will do on AP, the humans not so much.
So all the time then.

I have seen this shown before in 'behind the scenes' autopilot videos shared by tesla, but this is the first time (AFAIK) that this information is considered accurate enough to be shown to normal drivers.

This indicates that tesla autopilot can now do something lidar DEFINITELY cannot do, and also how they are steadily moving through the list of things AP needs in order to drive as safely as a human in all conditions.

Obviously this wont get any coverage, because it goes against the 'tesla bad' narrative, but it gives me extra confidence as an investor that while everyone is trying to spread FUD about autopilot, it just *keeps* *getting* *better*. I can't wait for a non-EU-hobbled model Y to go on sale in the UK so I can trade in my AP1 model S.
Had a loaner MX with EAP and it visualized a truck on the service lane of the highway and then visualized a man getting out of the cab of the truck.

Great find - thanks!
Cool icon, very nice implementation with helpful guiding to lower speed - well done, Tesla!

Re. FUD: Yeah, Rob Maurer had a recent video called "Tesla FUD ramps up". True that!
History will show that you cannot really stop progress, but, you can, unfortunately, slow it down.
Who are the enemies of progress? I will leave that to you, dear reader.
I wouldn't want Vice or any other serious journalistic medium (haha) to accuse me of conspiracy theories...

Re. EU FSD limitations: I wonder if there is a business case for parallel importing Teslas from Britain? Complete with a DIY switch steering wheel/yoke tool-kit.

It appears Tesla released the onboard data from the China-braking-protest thing.

Human error.

Always sad for the people and next of kin involved in any crash - even more so for fatal ones.

Even so, when either facing public/social or journalistic criticism Tesla sometimes has no choice but simply show the logs.

Re. prev. posts from Discoducky, Tesla has made the hard choice to invest deeply in making (or reverse-engineering) very low-level software for all the hardware controller components and sub-components. Not only can Tesla do over the air upgrades, they can use that capability to query/mine very granular types of data for example. This can be relevant in any crash, where the situation on the ground is, for some reason, not clear.
My guess is that Tesla can pull for example, but not limited to:
  • Driver-side-weight-sensor (driver present or not)
  • Braking, how much force and when
  • Airbag: deployed or not
  • AP/FSD: Enganged or not, when, warnings raised, warnings headed, etc.
  • Impact-sensor: Car impacted when and how much
  • Steering wheel: turned how much and when (perhaps rolling 10 sec window)
Now, I don't know if they can do so in all cases, but I seem to recall when a Tesla crashes, it tries to send (if networks are reachable) a few packets of data to Tesla, re. location of crash, and perhaps other things. Now aware of how much Tesla can pull remote and how much requires physical access to the vehicle. Would make sense if it is case-by-case, depending on how damaged the Tesla in question is.

@Discoducky: Please correct if I am mistaken in my interpretations - iff you are at liberty to say.

Either way, in the long run Tesla will prosper and the future will be better because of it. We have reached critical mass and success is now inevitable, in spite of the flailing MSM and their increasingly desparate and impotent FUD (side-burn Verge).
This is so true. It is as a smart man once said "game set and match"

I can't wait for a non-EU-hobbled model Y to go on sale in the UK so I can trade in my AP1 model S.
These are not EU regulations, they are UN regulations ....google UNECE for info, or see some of Steven Peeters videos on youtube.

However, UK is now consulting on new rules to run in parallel to UNECE which should allow FSD Beta. Consultation ends later this year, so maybe in 2022 if we're lucky things might change in UK.