Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Caller : hello, media? I got in an accident because I put a brick on the accelerator and jumped in the back seat
Media : you're an idiot, go away
Caller : but I was in a Tesla
Media : OMG! Why didn't you say so! Front page news!
I can't wait until somebody fools the GM camera by using an Ipad with facetime. (I just hope nobody dies) I wish I had the spare cash to buy these competing vehicles and just make videos that show me bypassing the safeguards.

Electrek - hour ago: Tesla Creates New Materials Team

Excerpt:

David Nelson, who was leading drive system engineering at Tesla, has been put in charge of building the new team.

He wrote on LinkedIn:

“I have moved on from leading the design of motors and gearboxes to a new role on the Materials Engineering team at Tesla. The idea is to accelerate the adoption of new materials and processes – helping to bridge the gap between materials science and part design.”

The engineer says that he is looking to hire design engineers to build the team:

“This is a new team that I get to build from scratch! It’s a chance to do advanced development with world-class materials scientists and product design teams. If you are a broadly-talented design engineer please take a look at this job posting and apply.”

In the job listing, Tesla describes the new Materials Applications Team:

“The purpose of the Materials Applications Team is to accelerate the adoption of new materials and processes at Tesla. Our goal is to work on problems that make step changes in the optimal design space. As a Design Engineer on the team, you will bridge the gap between materials science and part design. That can mean many different things depending on the material or process. On any given day you might design prototype tooling to make trial parts, work with vendors to perfect a process, perform large design space studies to see how a new material impacts mass and cost, or work in the lab to characterize a part or system.”

Safe to post this here as it may impact stock?

Aren’t these the same dopes that said having a camera in place was a privacy issue? And sure I can come up with a dozen ways to bypass the idiot checks, but that’s on me. The driver assist systems are not made to be poka-yoke. We have to assume licensed and responsible folks are involved.

Side note. I unbuckled my belt while on NOA and system had a hissy fit!

Is an ICE considered to be driving itself if someone throws a cement block on the gas pedal? (Edit later: I see that Chunky had the same thought.)

It does if you watch the video. (They had it buckled behind the driver before they moved to the passengers seat.)

Fair enough, I only read the story where they made no mention of it.

Those "Safeguards" are MORE than sufficient.

FWIW I do think they should have the weight sensor, if it does not detect a driver for say more than 10 seconds at speed with AP on, freak out the same way it does if you disconnect the seatbelt with AP on.

Not that you couldn't throw a heavy bit of luggage or something to defeat it-- but it'd kill most of those stupid "Look at me sitting in the back of my tesla while it drives me with an empty seat" videos because either the seat could NOT be empty for them- or you'd have a blaring alarm making it clear the video maker is doing something wrong - and that's a software update it should take about 2 minutes to write given it already collects the seat sensor data, and you can link it to the same code used on the seatbelt alarm.

Reactions: JRP3
Seems an incorrect narrative related to the seat sensor has been corrected by a party other than Tesla. The third party could have had a dialog with Tesla but that is not clear cut.

Tesla chooses to use social media by preference. This third party did a very effective media production to call to Tesla’s attention misinformation. Tesla should thank them for correcting the record in their preferred venue.

Now I expect Tesla will respond in some manner. It would be nice to have the autopsy data first. And so it goes.

I'm so disgusted how a reckless driving fatality is being opportunistically launched into this all out FUD event. Usually I let FUD bounce off me, but this has reached a new level of absurdity. Literally every media source I look at is pushing this false information. I need to take a news/media/mental health break.

4/17/2021 Revised Edition

"Lodger's Ten Rules for Investment Success": (c) 2021 - 3rd Revised Edition

#9. Forget the News; They're Paid to Lie (Expect the Lie)

From your friendly neighborhood spidey senses. ;)

Cheers!

Last edited:
while i agree with the sentiment, it should be noted that the right-hand chart is made up, and not based on any actual data. if you present this image somewhere as fact, it will be easy for a hater to attack your credibility / objectivity. just a heads up.

OK, I can improve the accuracy of that made-up statistic:

In national media coverage of auto accidents naming the brand of at least one vehicle involved, Tesla was named 96.2% of the time. ;)

Not good, I guess the seat sensor may not be a thing?

What a load of horse! Any car will drive by itself if you put it in drive and press the throttle, the difference with a Tesla is that if it's on AP it will follow the road, traffic, etc., as best it can, if it's most other cars it will drive in a straight line into whatever it hits first

Last edited:
It is worth noting during this time of particularly irritating FUD that the enemies of electrification and the enemies of autonomy are one in the same. This is not conspiracy theory; just a very practical consequence of Elon/Tesla's decision to marry electrification and autonomy. You may recall that the rationale is simply that if one is investing so much into transitioning the global fleet of vehicles to a different fuel source, one must ensure those vehicles do not become immediately obsolete. Tesla's mission remains electrification - but with an autonomy byproduct that is also beneficial to society.

It gives the enemies of electrification an enticing avenue to pursue - one where public opinion is malleable (unlike climate change/fossil fuels where the court of public opinion has made its decision). This is why you see personalities like Edward N. pivoting to lobbying against autonomy, and why autonomy will become such a lightning rod in the near future. In the absence of fossil fuel powers/money/opposition, the battle over autonomy would be insignificant and short-lived.

I do think they should have the weight sensor, if it does not detect a driver for say more than 10 seconds at speed with AP on, freak out the same way it does if you disconnect the seatbelt with AP on.

Not that you couldn't throw a heavy bit of luggage or something to defeat it-- but it'd kill most of those stupid "Look at me sitting in the back of my tesla while it drives me with an empty seat" videos because either the seat could NOT be empty for them- or you'd have a blaring alarm making it clear the video maker is doing something wrong - and that's a software update it should take about 2 minutes to write given it already collects the seat sensor data, and you can link it to the same code used on the seatbelt alarm.
Another way to determine whether someone (or thing) is in the driver's seat would be for the seat and shoulder belts to not only be connected but also stretched to the extent that a small person at least would, thereby indicating that someone has the belts stretched around them. Don't know if that would require a new belt or a SW mod but I think it would be at least as effective as just weight in the seat bottom and/or back.

Reactions: FastCompany
I can't wait to get my Lyriq with Supercruise and use these to sleep on road trips.
eyeball.jpg

You keep posting this, and in fairness I've been posting the opposite, but if that's how it worked MM's would have trillions instead of just a few handfuls of billions. They would love to hold TSLA under $750 at close tomorrow, that doesn't mean it's in their best interest expend effort 100x their loss in order to do so.

What we're seeing this morning is wildly expensive, essentially selling shares cheap that you know are going to rise and will have to eventually buy back. Millions and millions of them. That only goes so far until the algo turns red and it's logical to reverse course. I expect that will be happening about.........[any minute now].
Indeed, it all depends on the cost to keep it down, but given the moderately low volume I think that will be quite easy for them. And yes, it may rise above $750 by the bell tomorrow, but that won't be for the lack of trying

We play this game, both of us, but on different sides - you buy the calls, I see them. I make a lot of money every week doing this, every, single, week...