Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They want him in prison. During the Model 3 reveal, they had convinced themselves that the SEC was going to take him off stage in handcuffs. SNL gives him legitimacy in their minds.

So, yes. Horribly jealous people. And dilusional.
Tslaq should be made illegal by the US government since setting US dollars on fire is illegal.

I haven't watch SNL in years, but will tune in to see Elon. I hope it isn't a train wreck. I love and admire the guy, but I don't think acting is one of his talents. We'll find out.... I do hope they find a way to make a funny skit using the Cybertruck.
They’ll tailor things to his talent, I expect. Cold open will be highly rehearsed and scripted. He’ll introduce Miley. I’m guessing skits will use him in a limited, targeted way (thinking of his Big Bang cameo).

SNL is heavily followed by Leftist Twitter because the show mercilessly skewered Trump during his presidency. Leftist Twitter is not real life. For evidence of this, look no further than who it supported for the presidential nomination, and who actually won (among many other policy position examples).
The people on SNL Twitter don’t represent the left, they are just caricatures of the left at best, and honestly Musk is just a lightning rod right now (no pun intended) ... Elon attracts the ire of Antifa and QAnons... everyone else that is sane simply rolls their eyes when Elon says something they don’t agree with... they still mostly like him though.

It’s a good opportunity for him to charm the folks at home. let’s hope he doesn’t let Franz come on stage and throw a steel ball on camera.
If they do get political through I’m really hoping for Larry david playing Bernie sanders.

So Norway must be near or past the tipping point of needing to fund roads from something other than gas tax. What do they do?

Norway gets a much larger % of their road money from tolls.... which don't even exist in a LOT of US states, and even in the ones that do are usually pretty narrow in location/scope.

Further- they not just a ton less miles of road- but a ton less cars using them.

The US has 0.86 cars per 1 person living here. Norway has 0.44 cars per 1 person- less than half (and better public transit).

Not that they don't get ANY road funding from gas taxes- they do- just not nearly as much as US states tend to.

I find it pretty simple. We want cleaner air so provide incentives accordingly. Higher tax on polluters. So raise gas tax.

Currently many of the poorest people are driving the least efficient cars and will be last in line to be able to afford an EV- so that's an incredibly regressive "solution" punishing those least able to afford it.

My understanding is that “mining” includes transaction logging/verification. That’s going full blast.

Yeah it's part of why Bitcoin is such a crap currency... (and why the fees to do small transactions are riduclous)

Special one way, not the other. What happens if they don't bring in enough money? Do they just let the roads fall apart or do they take from the general fund? I guarantee their roads are not fully funded by gas taxes and general funds are required. In years where they do take in enough, then they don't tap the general. Money is fungible, placing things in special categories is rarely a big deal.

Fully?

No.

But the gas tax I mention pays for 63 percent of maintenance and operations in the Highway Fund- so almost 2/3rds of it.

If that amount shrinks- which it will as EVs get more common- more money has to come from SOMEWHERE.

Just hand-waiving "general fund" without there being a new source of money coming INTO the general fund doesn't actually replace the lost fuel tax money.

Any GF money they are forced to shift to roads, without new income, has to be removed from something else.

By having a dedicated EV registration fee collected by the DMV, that $ goes into that same highway fund pool, avoiding needing to take general funds from other non-transportation programs to make up the shortfall.

Now- in an ideal universe, it'd be mileage based like the gas tax is. But most states have no method in place today to collect miles driven annually (other than if they just trusted the owner to self-report on their state tax form or something- which even then a few states don't even have state income tax so they'd need another method)

Not to jinx things (third margarita) but I’m seeing Earnings being even better than we thought.
1) relaxed Elon discussing carbon capture
2) no panic regarding Woodlands accident (“AP was not engaged. End of story.”)
3) SNL appearance. He wants to have some fun.

Edit: what @buttershrimp said.

Just hand-waiving "general fund" without there being a new source of money coming INTO the general fund doesn't actually replace the lost fuel tax money.
You are missing the point though. It's not right to say that a EV owner "isn't paying their share". Taxes are far too complicated for that. We pay more than our share for electricity taxes and fixed charges relating to grid maintenance, our cars are more expensive (that's changing) than equivalent gas cars in some cases (more sales/registration tax), and because we are clean we have a far lower burden on the healthcare system. I'm not going to loose sleep over contributing a little less to the road budget after all of that is counted up.

Last edited:
What I wish for is that all Australians who watch that try to imagine the reaction of a Norwegian visiting here in the coming years. The noise, the smell, the vibration of buses, ferries and taxis. It’s really going to be like going back in a time machine.
Yes it’s sad. If I think about it I get freaking angry, so I don’t. I deliberately avoid the evening news and live with my head in Tesla land instead - a place where there’s hope.

Maybe the Australian Tourism Board can capitalize on that by advertising steampunk and/or Mad Max themed vacations. Better yet, how about 1970's-1980's nostalgia vacations.

Rent a classic 1980's Holden with a three speed manual transmission, real oil leaks, worn rings for tailpipe smoke effects and a stuck PCV valve bringing all the incredible sensory overload you might expect with old school motor oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold. Real dino-juice! The unique blend of hydrocarbon aromas will take you back in time - it'll be like having your own time machine. A cassette deck will belt out the crooning vocals of Journey and other period bands as you chug up rural hills leaving a cloud of blue smoke in your wake. Drive as slowly as you like, no need to worry about tailgaters! Every rental comes with an emergency tool kit, spare spark plugs and points, a spare quart of oil, 1-gallon gas can, umbrella, jumper cables, road flares, rags, hand cleaner and a real tire iron and spare tire!

Maybe the Australian Tourism Board can capitalize on that by advertising steampunk and/or Mad Max themed vacations. Better yet, how about 1970's-1980's nostalgia vacations.

Rent a classic 1980's Holden with a three speed manual transmission, real oil leaks, worn rings for tailpipe smoke effects and a stuck PCV valve bringing all the incredible sensory overload you might expect with old school motor oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold. Real dino-juice! The unique blend of hydrocarbon aromas will take you back in time - it'll be like having your own time machine. A cassette deck will belt out the crooning vocals of Journey and other period bands as you chug up rural hills leaving a cloud of blue smoke in your wake. Drive as slowly as you like, no need to worry about tailgaters! Every rental comes with an emergency tool kit, spare spark plugs and points, a spare quart of oil, 1-gallon gas can, umbrella, jumper cables, road flares, rags, hand cleaner and a real tire iron and spare tire!
Make it an 8-track with Peter Frampton and I'll pre-book right now!

Last edited:
You are missing the point though. It's not right to say that a EV owner "isn't paying their share". Taxes are far too complicated for that.

Not really in this case though.

ICE drivers literally pay by the mile via a gasoline tax... and that $ goes directly to funding roads.

EV drivers do not.

So that missing $ has to come from somewhere

Most states have chose to get it via a tax at registration time, since that keeps it car-related by putting the funds into the DMV fees kitty which (in my state, and most AFAIK) also specifically goes toward road funding.

We pay more than our share for electricity taxes and fixed charges relating to grid maintenance

I'm not sure how things are taxed where you live.

But here there's no special "electricity tax" that goes to "grid maintenance"

Not sure I've heard of that anywhere else.

We just pay normal sales tax same as if I bought anything else, and it goes into the general fund like all sales tax.

But since electricity is charged per kwh delivered generally I'm unsure how it'd be "more than your share" anyway- it should be exactly your share.

(on top of that- in my case anyway, by owning an EV I get access to special ToU billing... so I actually spend less on electricity than I did before I got an EV)

A question for those of us living in the US - do these states have more oil and/or fossil car industry than the rest of the US? Or is it just a general idea of taxing anything new that isn't already?

Most of those states do have some gas/oil or auto industry but some don't. All have traditional car dealerships and lots of gas stations. These taxes are always presented as a "fairness tax" since EV's avoid the portion of the gas tax that goes towards maintaining roads.

While I don't mind paying personally, I don't like that it disincentivizes the purchase of EV's by those trying to save money. I don't see it as a fairness tax since gas vehicles don't pay a "health insurance tax" to pay for their impact on the health care costs- caused by their cumulative toxic emissions. Or a "carbon capture tax". The easy success of so many of these state-level EV taxes is a direct result of the way EV's were somewhat successfully stereotyped as "for rich people".

But here there's no special "electricity tax" that goes to "grid maintenance"

Not sure I've heard of that anywhere else.
Here’s my charges for 0 kWh net electricity. $5.48 for the grid and the rest for account services and tax.
F5F4A2F5-3CB3-4B47-AAB4-CFEEDFDA1ABD.jpeg