Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Elon say that Tesla will not trade BTC because of the high energy cost? I think he said Tesla will hold what it has, and neither buy nor sell.

I think Tesla should sell all the BTC it has. As a stockholder, I want Tesla to be in the business of designing and building cars, batteries, and solar. I do not want Tesla to be in the business of speculating in commodities.

Something I haven't seen discussed yet about the EV credit. The planned cap for expensive EVs will only hurt Tesla's (wannabe) competitors. Rivian, Lucid and Faraday all had the prospect of being able to sell cars with a $7500 'discount' for many years. It seems they will now lose that opportunity, having never been able to profit from it. Model S and X have already been without credit for years, so for Tesla nothing will change.
What is the cutoff you're seeing thrown around?

If you are so fussed about inflation in the US, buy some nickel/lithium mining companies with the cash
Elon and Zach stated specifically that they were looking for a place to store liquidity without the near zero returns of cash. How does buying a junior mining company provide liquidity? How does it cross international borders at internet speed?

Oh that's right, it does the exact opposite, tying investments up for 7-10 years before any new production can be brought to market. And further exposing Tesla to market swings in commodity prices AND U.S. dollar pricing AFTER all that effort. Brilliant.

Got any good ideas?

Can’t stand that the TSLA SP is being driven by the price of BTC right now. This is ridiculous.

Wonder if Elon considered that a purchase of any size of BTC would allow the markets to act as if the fate of TSLA and BTC are inextricably intertwined.

Because that is the nonsense we are dealing with short term.

I would like for this crypto TSLA connection to go away.
If Tesla doesn't know what to do with their cash, then announce at the market stock buy back without expiration. AMD just did that to reduce outstanding shares and support the stock from any short raid or anything.

Plus Tesla can raise money anytime with their eyes closed so it's just as liquid as btc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Elon say that Tesla will not trade BTC because of the high energy cost? I think he said Tesla will hold what it has, and neither buy nor sell.

I think Tesla should sell all the BTC it has. As a stockholder, I want Tesla to be in the business of designing and building cars, batteries, and solar. I do not want Tesla to be in the business of speculating in commodities.

Would you be similarly opposed to Tesla diversifying their cash holdings into various foreign currencies?

Would you be similarly opposed to Tesla diversifying their cash holdings into various foreign currencies?
Don't mind if Tesla pick a stable currency like the Euro. But yes I would have a problem if they pick a speculative currency like one from a failed state hoping for a turn around.

But seriously btc is cancer. It's not just a "currency" you can't use, but selling it causes backlash and Elon spends like a whole weekend defending his decisions. Worrying and pleasing a bunch of gain seekers is ridiculous for someone as busy as Musk.

Perhaps I am an idiot but E’s explanation made no sense. If an asset is counter to the mission of a future of renewable energy then get out of it. If thy eye offend thee…… and all.

I think many investors have effectively written off $1.5b as a loss. I have. But the risk of ever expanding confusion and endless questions that reveal the continual digging of a hole is wearing on enthusiasm. Please return focus to an optimistic future and away from this smokestack of greed and cynicism IMO.

There is so much enthusiasm for Tesla but even my time as a Tesla owner has to be consumed in queries…. If the goal was to drive Tesla enthusiasts to hate crypto then things are going well!

If Tesla doesn't know what to do with their cash, then announce at the market stock buy back without expiration. AMD just did that to reduce outstanding shares and support the stock from any short raid or anything.

Plus Tesla can raise money anytime with their eyes closed so it's just as liquid as btc.
While Tesla certainly can raise money, I think that at this time in their maturity curve, needing a capital raise would be terrible for confidence and the SP. Part of my confidence in Tesla today comes from knowing that the business is self sufficient and rather than asking for more cash, they can just turn the growth knob down a few clicks. That independence is important to me as an investor today.

Don't mind if Tesla pick a stable currency like the Euro. But yes I would have a problem if they pick a speculative currency like one from a failed state hoping for a turn around.

But seriously btc is cancer. It's not just a "currency" you can't use, but selling it causes backlash and Elon spends like a whole weekend defending his decisions. Worrying and pleasing a bunch of gain seekers is ridiculous for someone as busy as Musk.
Agreed, but overall the amount is so small. I'm not a finance person (really i'm not) is btc holding a hedge against inflation? Really want EM to focus on engineering and scaling production, get someone else to run the business to make the phone calls to suppliers, permitting for GF, etc.

See this gets published on Sunday morning? Yet, we have people encouraging Tesla to buy more BTC #SMH
1621787055384.png

Can’t stand that the TSLA SP is being driven by the price of BTC right now. This is ridiculous.

Wonder if Elon considered that a purchase of any size of BTC would allow the markets to act as if the fate of TSLA and BTC are inextricably intertwined.

Because that is the nonsense we are dealing with short term.

I would like for this crypto TSLA connection to go away.
It's not... $TSLA is pretty much following the macros of high P/E growth stocks, the BTC narrative is not correct

See this gets published on Sunday morning? Yet, we have people encouraging Tesla to buy more BTC #SMH
View attachment 665297
Doesn't Barron's normally run anti-Tesla articles? Volatile investments are volatile. I'm not either pro or negative Bitcoin because I don't know enough about it to have a position.

So from what I've seen, Ford's reservations for the electric F150 don't actually guarantee your place "in line". (according to the fine print)

Therefore, this is obligatory:

hahaha. While I love this clip and episode, but come on - Tesla was the same way for the 3. It was not fun. I was one of the people who stood in line for hours the day of the 3 reveal to "place" my reservation, before we had even seen it, and it still took over a year for me to get mine after the ramp-up was settled.

Reactions: ZsoZso