Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume just continuing to hold it uses no energy while selling it would, so holding is inline with the mission.
That is a rather narrow perspective IMO. My issue with that is it assures endless questions which sap human energy and it suggests that there is a reason to not sell it.

It is against the mission in a similar sense to buying a coal mine and then realizing that burning coal may not be helpful. What would be the point in NOT dumping the coal mine?

To hold onto the coal mine is to suggest that coal remains a good or possibly redeemable investment. I would suggest to sell the coal mine and buy a forest or something that is more in harmony with the mission. (EM sold his homes recently so selling is not difficult for him)

If this investment is really important and must be held then update the mission.

It's not... $TSLA is pretty much following the macros of high P/E growth stocks, the BTC narrative is not correct
They are all linked right now but for Tesla in particular, BTC is being as proxy to go after the SP. Just another ridiculous data point to spread FUD with.

Yeah, I know, means nothing in long term, but I do not like it right now.

Yeah, I know, who cares what I like?

sigh....

I’m relatively agnostic about Tesla’s investment in BTC (more interested in what they may do in the crypto space in the future), but people are freaking out because BTC had a crash that forces Tesla’s financials on paper to look worse because of the timing of the crash, when in reality it remains far more likely that BTC will still be worth far more in a year than it is now.

Renewables including TSLA are down ~30-40% in a short time period too. Not comparing the two types of investments but a long investment thesis doesn’t change because of volatility, and Tesla’s reasons for investing in BTC probably don’t either.

I’m relatively agnostic about Tesla’s investment in BTC (more interested in what they may do in the crypto space in the future), but people are freaking out because BTC had a crash that forces Tesla’s financials on paper to look worse because of the timing of the crash, when in reality it remains far more likely that BTC will still be worth far more in a year than it is now.

Renewables including TSLA are down ~30-40% in a short time period too. Not comparing the two types of investments but a long investment thesis doesn’t change because of volatility, and Tesla’s reasons for investing in BTC probably don’t either.
Understand, but it is also the FUD that will be produced when financials come out. Media wont report it as a paper loss. They will report that Tesla will report a loss or a greatly diminished property. So it will have short term negative effect on stock price.

@The Accountant - thoughts?

Fact Checking also posted the following on Twitter, corroborating the claim.

18AD0960-FCF4-4832-9F45-58484D3A983C.jpeg

I am not a fan of BTC. Been saying as much since day 1. But, since I am as big an Elon fanboi as they come, I have no doubt he has a vision for it. Something still bothers me, though. This is a battle and clearly we are on his side. The fact is he is willing to give the shorts some ammo in the short term and its not even mission related. Maybe we are playing the long game now. Or, as I tell myself everyday, he is just testing us to see who are the true believers. 😰

I am not a fan of BTC. Been saying as much since day 1. But, since I am as big an Elon as they so I have no doubt he has a vision for it. Something still bothers me, though. This is a battle and clearly we are on his side. The fact is he is willing to give the shorts some ammo in the short term and its not even mission related. Maybe we are playing the long game now. Or, as I tell myself everyday, he is just testing us to see who are the true believers. 😰

Per Elon's vision, he can make Doge better than BTC for currency/transactions. So what does that really say about BTC?

Understand, but it is also the FUD that will be produced when financials come out. Media wont report it as a paper loss. They will report that Tesla will report a loss or a greatly diminished property. So it will have short term negative effect on stock price.

I get that. Opportunities for FUD are irritating, but they will always exist. If it’s not this it will be that. Tesla will make mistakes, engineering snafus, missed timelines, odd tweets, whatever. It’s unfortunate that Tesla has so many enemies that everything must be turned into cataclysmic FUD, but that’s just how it is. Shareholders need to carefully consider whether they have the risk appetite for what will remain an ugly battle in which money or gains might be lost, especially in shorter time frames. But I do know that if Elon screws up in a way that impacts his employees and real shareholders, he’ll make up for it.

Now we could try to saddle Elon with hundreds of PR experts, MBAs, and attorneys to carefully consider the consequences of every decision, but we all know that will spell the end of the Tesla that we believe so strongly in.

I am not a fan of BTC. Been saying as much since day 1. But, since I am as big an Elon fanboi as they come, I have no doubt he has a vision for it. Something still bothers me, though. This is a battle and clearly we are on his side. The fact is he is willing to give the shorts some ammo in the short term and its not even mission related. Maybe we are playing the long game now. Or, as I tell myself everyday, he is just testing us to see who are the true believers. 😰
He did attract some attention to the possible emission issue of btc, so perhaps mission related in that sense…

I don’t think Elon is too worried about giving shorts ammo (at this point). TSLA has reached escape velocity…if shorts want to use that (alleged) ammo; they risk doing so at their own peril as that ammo may blow up in their face and destroy them (as has already happened in the past).

TSLA will not be going away and will continue to surprise to the upside. Also, Mr. Musk and his team walk around with many secrets; you never know when the next show will drop.

TSLA must be a scary short…never knowing when it’ll turn on you. Credit where credit is due; what the shorts lack in good judgement they make up for with their giant balls.

The stupidity of politics. I would far rather pay $7500 to take a range rover or Mercedes X/G series off the road and replace it with a Rivian or Model X than pay $7500 to replace in econobox box with a Chevy bolt. Taking the rich mans car and making it electric gives me the MOST pollution reduction for my money not the least.
Sorry I must disagree. The most pollution reduction is from retirement of the most polluting heavily used vehicles. Ancient deeply polluting vehicles driven for short distances occasionally haven't much value gained by replacing with BEV. In general the highest use is not from high end vehicles. Range Rovers and the like rarely are driven in heavy use. As in most such issues, the facts tend to be found in lots of data.

OTOH replacing most any Uber vehicle or other taxi with a BEV will yield more benefit than in most applications.

Speculative growing EV, solar and energy storage. Not Bitcoin
Well, Tesla is just a car company, right?

Oh, you mentioned energy and storage too. So, yeah, but that's all, huh?

Oh, wait, they are into a little software too. Hmmm

Then, there's that AI business. Whoda thunk it?

Don't they classify Tesla as a "manufacturing design and engineering" firm as well, that being the difference in the long run between them and other OEMs, right?

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but don't they do chemistry and metallurgy as well?

Oh, what about taxis, insurance, and any other things that may be on the horizon?

I really don't find it unpalatable that someone with a background in money (PayPal anyone?) might see some 4D chess angle to dipping a toe into Bitcoin. Really, the amount they invested was 5% of cash, wasn't it? That's play money, once taken in perspective.

What if there is a bigger plan? What if Tesla is simply playing for the long term and solving for a problem we can't fathom at this time?

Frankly, I haven't quite grokked Crypto, but then again, neither have I amassed a working understanding of Fiat currency (and I've tried to) over the years. Though I do get how they are both reliant upon "belief" in their value in order to remain relevant.

My bet is placed upon Elon's visionary ability, pure and simple. Add in his application of this gift to many other endeavors in the realms of Space, Internet, Neuroscience, and Tunnel building as well.

Now, after taking all this into the frame of reference does Crypto really fall so distinctly far off of the landscape that includes all these various tangents already in play? I don't think so.

I trust Elon and his crew to continue to do amazing, astounding things beyond anything I could ever imagine.

He'll "be less wrong" over time than I would be in trying to second guess his decisions.

Last edited:
It is mission related. It might be crashing boosters on boats, but it is mission related.

Once all the launch sites are in international waters a currency will be needed (that is not politically controlled by one nation).

It is mission related. It might be crashing boosters on boats, but it is mission related.

Once all the launch sites are in international waters a currency will be needed (that is not politically controlled by one nation).
If it's really mission related then Tesla should make its own coin with top of the line ease of transaction and by using the lowest energy being on renewables. This is the best way to crash 10 thousand other coins out there and have one to rule them all. Don't be giving the coin MOST harmful to the environment legitimacy by adopting it. Elon should be trashing it to the ground. Electricity usage will tank once the coin becomes worthless.

Elon seems to like the idea of digital currency. Great, go create your own with a small team of engineers using first principles and renewable energy. This pump and dump and pump of BTC is the dumbest 4D chess I have ever seen.