Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After endless debate on this issue it is getting old. Nearly everyone agrees it will never happen because it cannot pass the Senate, probably not even the House. However, it is good PR for union supporters to have it proposed.

With that it si already too much. This debate really has nothing to do with Tesla. It should stop, should it not?

I responded to someone questioning it.....don't point me out as the one that brought it up.

At present Tesla is only gathering data on which to base new offers. The present insurance offers actually provide reams of data but nothing else. real advances will only happen after substantial data analysis allows better underwriting and service options. As previously mentioned Tesla Financial services, all of it, is roughly equivalent to the Original Roadster. Once the next generation is ready we'll know whether Tesla has a "secret sauce". I believe they will.

There are regulations in place that would prevent Tesla from suddenly becoming the country's greatest and most profitable insurance company. If you don't believe regulations exist on insurance companies profitability, there's really no need for further discussion.

Proof that we are living in a simulation...my 11 year old told me to buy RBLX when they IPO'd, he said everyone and their mom plays Roblox and its only getting bigger..I said ill buy you a 100 shares because i want to teach you that you need to think in decades when buying a stock and not focus on the short term. Was able to get 100 shares at $69 of all prices :) .... Today, he walks in when market closes and says, "Dad..what is RBLX at?" I look it up and it's $97 :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

So you're saying it was actually a short "sneeze"?

It was a warning shot fired at the shortzes and hedgies.

Just like a fine Australian table wine, the message is: "Be ware".

EDIT: and dey still shortin' A/Hrs (already 1.112M shares traded by 5:00 pm)
Can you say zig-zag? Jebus, it's not even EARNINGS Day! :p

TSLA.chart.2021-05-27.17-01.png

Shortzes never quit. They have to be crushed and thrown from the train.

Cheers to the Longs!

Last edited:
It was a warning shot fired at the shortzes and hedgies.

Just like a fine Australian table wine, the message is: "Be ware".

Cheers! to the Longs!
Indeed Lodger! I was thinking the shorts were applying their toothpaste (or preferably super glue) when they sneezed... and you know what happens then...

For the first time in over a month (4/26), Team Tesla has a two game winning streak. Not content to play cat and mouse for most of the second half, they went on a tear in the closing minutes for a convincing win. A nice change of pace from the usual late game swoon.

Today
Score:630.85
Margin of W/L:11.72
Attendance:26,212,083
High - Low:14.92
Season
Record:49-52
Total margin of wins:1,055.51
Total margin of losses:-1,130.33
YTD gain/loss:-74.82-10.60%
Best Win:110.58Mar 9
Worst Loss:-68.83Jan 11
Last 10:6-4
Streak:W2
Avg margin of victory:21.54
Avg margin of defeat:-21.74
Avg Attendance:31,825,410
Avg Attendance of Last 10:32,205,063
Avg High - Low:38.25
Avg H - L of Last 10:23.62

It cracks me up how the analysts fawn over the competition and assume that they will execute perfectly. This is a good example of how that is not a good assumption. At all.
It is truly amazing that Tesla has done as well as they have! Better than many, if not most, OEM's. Case in point, GM now has to treat Bolts as "lemons" and refund a customer's money due to battery issues (they catch fire). Couldn't find a good headline to share, but it's out there...

Insurance per tesla costs me about as much as a FSD subscription is assumed to cost. Saying insurance doesn't and will never do much for tesla is like saying FSD subscription wont either.
my point is concerning TSLA Mkt cap not your personal monthly cost .... I am saying that insurance is not as good a profit generator as FSD ...how much of the FSD vs Insurance revenue that goes to bottom line is what matters ... you might want to watch this video from Dave Lee and James Douma
start around 12:00 min mark...i recommend watching this entire video and downloading the ARK model and playing with it ... i happen to think James is correct about Insurance impact on TSLA in the next 5 years ... maybe 20 years from now the stroy on insurance will be different

For the first time in over a month (4/26), Team Tesla has a two game winning streak. Not content to play cat and mouse for most of the second half, they went on a tear in the closing minutes for a convincing win. A nice change of pace from the usual late game swoon.

Today
Score:630.85
Margin of W/L:11.72
Attendance:26,212,083
High - Low:14.92
Season
Record:49-52
Total margin of wins:1,055.51
Total margin of losses:-1,130.33
YTD gain/loss:-74.82-10.60%
Best Win:110.58Mar 9
Worst Loss:-68.83Jan 11
Last 10:6-4
Streak:W2
Avg margin of victory:21.54
Avg margin of defeat:-21.74
Avg Attendance:31,825,410
Avg Attendance of Last 10:32,205,063
Avg High - Low:38.25
Avg H - L of Last 10:23.62
Definitely a walk off homer on a 3-2 count.

I first linked this here 8 years ago, but a repeat may be an appropriate response to this Texas legislative nonsense. :rolleyes:

Forbes - 2013: Strangling Innovation: Tesla vs. 'Rent Seekers'

Excerpt:

Rent Seekers are individuals or organizations that have succeeded with existing business models and look to the government and regulators as their first line of defense against innovative competition. They use government regulation and lawsuits to keep out new entrants with more innovative business models. They use every argument from public safety to lack of quality or loss of jobs to lobby against the new entrants. Rent seekers spend money to increase their share of an existing market instead of creating new products or markets. The key idea is that rent seeking behavior creates nothing of value.

These barriers to new innovative entrants are called economic rent. Examples of economic rent include state automobile franchise laws, taxi medallion laws, limits on charter schools, auto, steel or sugar tariffs, patent trolls, bribery of government officials, corruption and regulatory capture. They’re all part of the same pattern – they add no value to the economy and prevent innovation from reaching the consumer.
Periodically we do need to remind ourselves of obvious, often neglected, important principles. Thank you for posting this again.