Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully the TMC Europe wiki team will finalize the numbers for UK, France and Spain soon, but spitballing:

1800+ for UK (SMMT has 2011 "Other Imports" and vast majority are usually Tesla). Car Registrations

2119 for France May In France: Plugin Vehicle Sales At 17.3% Share — Up 2.3× Year On Year

247 for Spain per eu-evs.com

=8664 for May in Europe before adding "other" countries (prob ~200-300).

tl;dr April+May should be about 40% higher than first two months of Q1 in Europe. Not too shabby.
UK - 1648 (different methodology) - UK At 14.7% Plugin EV Share In May - Tesla And VW Most Popular Brands

Electrek - 17 minutes ago: Tesla officially applies to build battery cells at Gigafactory Berlin

Excerpt:

Now we learn that Tesla has officially applied to the state of Brandenburg for approval for battery production at the factory (via RBB24 and translated from German):

The electric car manufacturer Tesla has officially applied to the state of Brandenburg for approval under emission control law for the production of battery cells in Grünheide (Oder-Spree) as ancillary equipment for vehicle production. The US group has completely revised its application documents and submitted them to the State Office for the Environment, the Environment Ministry announced on Thursday.
As part of the updated application, Tesla also reportedly added to body lines and revised down its expected water consumption at the plant.

Dang, so the track is resurfaced for next week's Model S presentation? That looks like a few million dollar resurfacing job.

So does that mean there's going to be a track time set on this thing? Or customers get to experience a ride on the track? "Oh look, a Tesla that can handle the turns!" sales tactic.
The track getting all 'prettied up' explains at least a part of the delay.

Tesmanian - today: A Huge Batch of 1,500 Tesla Model 3 Arrives in Australia

Excerpt:

A huge batch of Teslas has arrived in Australia. It is reported that there could be more than 1,500 Model 3s there, which will be a significant contribution to the rollout of electric vehicles on the country's roads.

Although Australia is growing to accept electric vehicles at a slow pace, Tesla vehicles are welcome here. Ship/delivery tracker VedaPrime reported a few days ago that the third ship in the quarter, Morning Clara, with Tesla cars for Australia arrived at Port Kembla. He also revealed that there were over 1,500 vehicles on board, all of which are Model 3, as sales of Model Y and of the refreshed Model S and X have not yet begun there. This batch also includes the first Long Range variant of the cars in this quarter.

Was going through in my own mind what else Tesla could show on the Model S delivery day.

1. They should show the final Cybertruck design.
2. They should show the final Roadster design.
3. They should give update on Semi production timeframe.
4. They should not say anything new about the $25K Tesla. Reason being is I dont think they should even mention the $25K Tesla again until after the fate of the new EV Tax Credit law is known. Dont want any politicians to back off because $15K (after credit) Tesla damages to much of politicians ICE car production in their state.

Rob had assumed a production run rate for Fremont in Q2 equal to Q1 because he had not yet spent time analyzing Fremont.
Rob and I have similar numbers but we differ by location:

Rob
104,220 - Fremont
107.394 - Shanghai
211,614 - Total

Mine

111,000 - Fremont
99,000 - Shanghai
210,000 - Total

I may have a higher number in Fremont than Rob because I take two items into consideration that gets us above the Fremont Q1 run-rate:
1. Fremont stopped production of models 3 & Y on Feb 22-23 due to missing parts (due to Texas supplier issues from State power outage)
2. Fremont got off to a slow start in January likely due to annual maintenance in the first week of January. First ship loaded in Q1 was Jan 12 but in Q2 it was Apr 6. So they were a week ahead in Q2.

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

1622821388057.png

If that 44K from Ray is true, your Shanghai number is way low as they'd be at 75K through two months. If they repeat the May rate in June, that's 120K for the quarter. Or 50% more than last quarter.

The credulous upper bound of the potential P&D numbers is going to very high this quarter. The actuals may even achieve the lofty goals set by a certain Genius.

If they're going to hit a million vehicles for the year, this is what it would have to look like.

Narf.

Tesmanian - today: The Minister of Economic Affairs in Brandenburg Says Tesla Giga Berlin Construction Is in 'final push'

Excerpt:

The Minister for Economic Affairs, Labor and Energy Jörg Steinbach expects the first Tesla vehicles to be produced at the new Giga Berlin factory this year. At the conference of the Leibniz Institute for Spatial Social Research, located in Erkner, Steinbach literally said that the construction of the plant is in a "final push," rbb24 reports.

In addition, the minister said that at the moment Tesla has already hired 1,000 employees, but by the time production starts, their number will surely increase to 3,000. After production starts, the number of employees will increase in proportion to the growth of the market. Steinbach explained that Giga Berlin will not only serve the German market.

#1 In Korea
#1 in Israel
#1 in France
list keeps growing

Light at end of quarterly tunnel ;)
Thanks for this, @elasalle, but personally I'm more interested in how well the Model 3 and Y are doing against ICEs than other EVs. We already know Tesla's are amazing EVs even though they're not really comparable to, say, a Renault Zoe or the world best-seller Hong Guang Mini EV (I'm guilty of posting about the latter a few days ago).

How does the Model 3 do against all passenger cars in those locales? To achieve the mission, it's less important that we beat out other EVs than if we beat out other ICEs. Elon's goal is to make the Model Y the best selling passenger vehicle in the world - how are we progressing? (Yes I know, production ain't near enough yet, but that's the metric to follow over the next 2-3 years). When Tesla's are in the top 3 in every country (and other EVs populating the top 5), THEN we'll know we're approaching our goal!

We need more stories like Norway and California where the Model 3 - or at least the Tesla brand - is the top seller against Toyota RAV4 and Honda CR-V, etc.

Last edited:
This is a record for the 2nd month of a Quarter.
🇩🇪 🚀
🇬🇧🚀
🇫🇷🚀

Previous record was Nov 2019 with 8.863 (which included over 900 Models S&X)
View attachment 669503
Ships departed earlier this quarter so we may/should see June deliveries lower than March. It is possible that EU Q2 sales will equal Q1. But the significance of this is that with exports to EU delivered early, there is more supply for other markets especially Asia Pacific where we saw many more ships in Q2 vs Q1. My projection for Q2 deliveries of 14% above Q1 still looks good and is actually on the low end of probabilities at this point.

Ships departed earlier this quarter so we may/should see June deliveries lower than March. It is possible that EU Q2 sales will equal Q1. But the significance of this is that with exports to EU delivered early, there is more supply for other markets especially Asia Pacific where we saw many more ships in Q2 vs Q1. My projection for Q2 deliveries of 14% above Q1 still looks good and is actually on the low end of probabilities at this point.
Another possibility and especially could be true if that 45k Giga China production number with 25k for export for May is true......is that they're packing more cars onto every boat now. Tesla could have been "sharing" part of the ship with other auto makers in the past and have now upped their space on the ships as they grow exports

Was going through in my own mind what else Tesla could show on the Model S delivery day.

1. They should show the final Cybertruck design.
2. They should show the final Roadster design.
3. They should give update on Semi production timeframe.
4. They should not say anything new about the $25K Tesla. Reason being is I dont think they should even mention the $25K Tesla again until after the fate of the new EV Tax Credit law is known. Dont want any politicians to back off because $15K (after credit) Tesla damages to much of politicians ICE car production in their state.
Agree.

Also, re no.4., they currently have four no-production models (CT, Roaster, Semi, ATV), not to mention FSD (what? are we back to over-promising circa 2017??) we don't need a fifth! BTW, I think the $25 K model will be relatively minor seller in USA compared to AsiaPac, India, SA markets, so the EV credit is only marginally relevant to that model.

Looks like more anecdotal evidence Tesla is getting FSD and the subscription service ready for that end of June timeframe. I doubt they would go through hassle of that email unless they were very confident it's ready. I take these kinds things a lot more seriously than Elon's timeline tweets

Dang, so the track is resurfaced for next week's Model S presentation? That looks like a few million dollar resurfacing job.

So does that mean there's going to be a track time set on this thing? Or customers get to experience a ride on the track? "Oh look, a Tesla that can handle the turns!" sales tactic.
How about radio controlled Tesla's on FSD. The "lane changes" are handled by the car, but the general moves and throttle are commanded by the players. Full Size RC racing, wheel to wheel. Look out HO Gauge, there's a new toy in town! Turn off FSD... if you dare.

It seems newautomotive.org, which is the source for those numbers, systematically underestimates registrations and also doesn't break out Tesla registrations for every month. An easy way to confirm that is to look at months for which we have an exact number of Model 3 registrations from SMMT because the Model 3 was among the Top 10 best sellers. On that website, which uses DVLA data, the number for all Tesla vehicles is still lower than the reported number of Model 3 registrations for those months.

For instance, in March 2021, when the Model 3 was the 4th best seller with 6585 vehicles registered, the data on newautomotive.org indicates a total of 6504 Tesla vehicles. There might be a delay in the way data gets reported. Regardless, mixing data sources is usually a bad idea.