Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Event was boring, but German engineers are scratching their heads in disbelief. Electric motor that holds its power to 20,000 rpm!!! They had to build a special machine to make the carbon wrapped motors. Again, Tesla's biggest advantage is its pace of innovation. Most aerodynamic, fastest, safest, most technologically advanced car in the world. Other cars have software that barely works, and this is a tablet/computer on steroids.
The Germans are like....ONE SPEED TRANSMISSION TO 200 MPH?!?!?!

The Porsche Taycan famously has a 2 speed transmission to maintain acceleration curve to it's top speed of 155 mph. This is something completely alien to them, like genuinely alien technology they have no comprehension of.

Sorry, cat, for complaining some more but

That was objectively the worst Tesla livestream I've ever seen. I've seen all of them and I've bothered my spouse about all of them before watching. They no longer question my reasoning for watching, because they know they cant's stop me.

It's not remotely about Elon. It's about the content. It was pretty awful. It's ridiculous that I have to spell this out, to you, of all people but it wasn't the delivery. I didn't expect a Saul Goodman experience.

I expected more than "hey here's this ultra hyped up event to celebrate something that...everyone already knows about. sweet. i'm elon, signing off. check out my cool newish haircut."
Change your expectations and just watch and listen for the information. There was sooooo much revealed. Like how could you not be blown away by the new motor tech? Aren’t you the least bit curious to drive that car at 100mph and experience the quiet and then blare your favorite tune on the newly designed sound system? What about seeing if there’s enough room and comfort in the newly placed rear seating to get it on with your mate? And what about the new UI and the ability to drag windows around so you can set it up the way you like not the way some junior Tesla engineer likes?

Hated that event.

Considering purchasing plaid S.

Since we're in the investor's forum, guess we should worry more about how the darn cars sell than the optics.

I really want to complain some more about how much I didn't like that awful, terrible no good livestream + event, but I won't.
One more thumb up if you remove that word "Considering" :)

Lies, innuendos, rumors, FUD, etc can effect stock prices in the span of two hours but an actual event hosted by the CEO does not?...................Ok.
My phrasing may have been unclear, but I meant if you are looking at it as an investor and not as a trader, then short term movements shouldn't matter, and a presentation like this does not affect the long term trajectory.

This sums Plaid all on one graph.

Shows how impressive the motors and battery powertrain is.

Basically 1000HP from 60mph all the way to 200 mph. Wow!

View attachment 672032

I don't think anyone outside of mechanical engineers and true performance car nerds understand the meaning of the flat power curve at all. This means that the tri-motor powertrain is still so power limited by the battery output that any increase will increase the maximum HP that can be delivered by the motors.

They need to take a cue from Apple and learn how to put on a show. Use Elon as an MC to hand off to different departments so they can really get into the details and relay just how much tech is behind the scenes. It's not that hard, watch any recent Apple event and copy some of the format. Whatever .... the good news is that the car seems like it's going to blow people away.

Speaking just for myself, I get more out of it hearing it from Elon than I would from a slick professional presenter who's trained to make you think something is even better than it is..

Maybe it would offer some benefit to the company to hire a professional presenter once they need more customers, ie. they cannot sell everyone they make.

The problem with a professional presenter is it plays into the people's hands who claim Tesla is all hype. At least Elon sounds genuine and knows what he's talking about when he says the engineering and development teams put their hearts and souls into making this the best it could be.

Just for reference. I work in AV. The multiple light show mega structures, the LED wall, main stage, truss arches……with labor, rigging, light techs, audio techs, video techs, streaming techs, camera ops,……probably $150,000-$250,000 in AV production costs Tesla just spent.
I suppose when they are delivering 25 cars that dosnt sound like much

Maybe Elon can take 30 minutes from tweeting about crypto to practice his presentations?
Takes a few hours to collaborate with the control room to make a tight presentation.

But you know that has never been his style. He just want to get the information across. He's not into very flashy presentation or memorizing dialogs. His interviews after Launch America was cringe as well.

Reactions: Mike Ambler
Change your expectations and just watch and listen for the information. There was sooooo much revealed. Like how could you not be blown away by the new motor tech? Aren’t you the least bit curious to drive that car at 100mph and experience the quiet and then blare your favorite tune on the newly designed sound system? What about seeing if there’s enough room and comfort in the newly placed rear seating to get it on with your mate? And what about the new UI and the ability to drag windows around so you can set it up the way you like not the way some junior Tesla engineer likes?
Cat, I'm an engineer.

The model S refresh is amazing. The event was awful.

Do we need to sit down and have tea to level?

Viewers of streamed presentations become something like movie reviewers. But the ultimate worthiness of the product being demonstrated is not the same as the entertainment value of the show.

Nowadays, countless YouTubers put together superior videos of Teslas and other products. Many others are great at creating weekend infomercials designed to sell almost anything. Apparently Elon feels there is no need at Tesla for the type of people who produce well crafted advertisements. Even if not sold to the media, in-house Tesla "ads" could go viral on YouTube and spread elsewhere. Elon's star power alone may not do it anymore. Perhaps this should be the last staged Tesla presentation.

I would hope that journalists and analysts at this moment are being given detailed pamphlets and taken on Plaid rides with knowledgeable Tesla employees. If so, the market reaction tomorrow may be better than some here are anticipating.

this presentation managed to fail even the most modest expectations.

- zero mention of 4680, cybertruck, roadster, or any new product.
- 390 mile range for the Plaid is below the lowest expectations.
- elon was clearly seeing these slides for the first time, and was so awkward it was hard to watch.

overall, just a huge "why did they even bother?" from me.
Agreed, Wow, that was not what I thought the "new" news would be. The bad ,good news for me is that there will not be model S (plaid or LR) in our garage soon, but we still have $150K in our bank account.
Very Disappointed...

Last edited:
Just for reference. I work in AV. The multiple light show mega structures, the LED wall, main stage, truss arches……with labor, rigging, light techs, audio techs, video techs, streaming techs, camera ops,……probably $150,000-$250,000 in AV production costs Tesla just spent.
I suppose when they are delivering 25 cars that dosnt sound like much
Could've bought a whole lotta toilet paper......just saying

Ambivalent on crypto, used to Elon being the worst presenter on the planet (it's kind of charming, now).

Not used to the content of Tesla events being so underwhelming. Does anyone remember Battery Day?
The difference between battery day/semi reveal/Cybertruck and this delivery event is that they didn't give you all the details 5 months prior.

I think you would have over looked the awkwardness of this presentation if everything said today was new never heard before. You would be typing "WTF 1000HP? PS5? Look at that steering wheel!..a second screen?!"