Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

A bit revealing detail from Elon: Plaid S motors in the current design will be used in the Plaid Roadster!

Rather, it will be revised with increased rated RPM of at least 22,560RPM for 250+mph top speed. At delivery event, Elon said that maximum motor speed for Plaid S is 20,000RPM "and them some". That means that Tesla is wanting to use the same 7.5:1 motor to wheel gear ratio for the Plaid Roadster. I believe Elon is sandbagging the Plaid S motors because 200mph is simply a hyper car level speed number barrier used as bragging rights, potentially tire max speed limit, and lawyers imposed limit before they go running off the cliff. After all, Plaid S will only need 18,042RPM to reach 200mph so there is nearly 10% buffer before reaching 20k RPM.

But the most revealing piece is that Tesla will have ways to increase the maximum torque to the motors. If we look back at the HP graph, Tesla is already pushing over 10,000Nm to the wheels cumulatively for the Plaid S. See graph complements of GJ.

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 12.09.01 AM.png

Plaid Roadster with
1. weight savings front and rear castings (assume that designs are nearly finished but needs assembly line to be built)
2. motor revisions to increase cumulative wheels torque over 10,000Nm (motor production already online)
3. motor revisions to increase maximum rated speed (motor production already online)
4. 4680 batteries (in progress for entire portfolio)

is likely exceeding the specifications that they put in their Roadster reveal in 2017. Reveal said 10,000Nm to the wheels, 1.9sec 0-60, 8.8sec 1/4 mile.

The Rimac Nevera has 13,430Nm wheel torque, 1.85sec 0-60, 8.6 1/4 mile, and 4 motors (2-speed rear motors and single speed front motors) specs so Tesla has their sights clearly on them. With increased torque, expect acceleration numbers to be a little bit better before we even reach SpaceX package!

CapEx for the Plaid portfolio is going to decrease dramatically because the powertrain is already in production and now making $$$.

Last edited:
In addition to waypoints, I would love to be able to specify a destination rate of charge target. The Nav system will happily route me on a trip to a destination with no charging such that I would arrive with only 30 miles range remaining. It would be nice to be able to override to arrive with 40% say, so that at my last supercharger stop, it calculates the proper charge needed to have adequate charge when I arrive.
Easily done with EVTO which I posted about the other day.

Here I did a quick trip example to Austin, TX, and selected I needed 100 miles reserved on arrival. EVTO calculated enough charge at the last Supercharger to enable an additional 34% charge, so I’d arrive with my default 15% plus the 34% for local trips.

This is for a one way trip. If a return was planned, that would change the destination rate to include enough charge to get back on the return to the last charger visited.

EVTO is very complex yet very complete. I feel people never give it a chance due to the plethora of features it has. It’s really quite simple to use once the time is spent in learning it. FWIW.

Interrupting our usual programming of bickering about 4680 v 2170 v 1865

Troy reporting that MiC M-Y will exported to EU starting Q3. Gary Black inferring that this is defensive market share capture positioning while waiting for Berlin to get online.
Smart, get that EU charity project before people make a mistake and buy a ID4. Maybe costly but good for humanity.

no it is a fair comment and democrats would be wise to intervene and coop EV taxs as a federal prerogative. Tax all EVs and distribute money back to states.
But as is essentially the case for the gasoline taxes, tax EVs based on miles driven.

EDIT: While also keeping mind that electric companies pay taxes that are passed along to customers' bills.

Last edited:
THEORETICALLY active safety measures could improve so much it would be safe to let your 12 year old take the wheel at 200 mph in the city:)

The longest range camera on the Tesla has a range of 250 m (820 ft). At 200 mph, that distance is covered in 2.8 seconds.

I don't know about you, but I've never driven even 70% of that speed, but even then I'm looking 10 seconds down the road (or further). And I'm not depending on my reaction time, I'm depending upon my vision.

I'm not even going to talk about energy gradients, but I remind you that KE = 1/2 m v^2

I learned along time ago, "never outdrive your vision".

I've already cancelled my Plaid + order but I decided to wait on the X. Still a chance that it has 4680 cells or cast components. Maybe that's why Elon hasn't talked about the S's batteries? Also, I don't like paying (again) for an autopilot that hasn't lived up to projections and still may never be fully autonomous - at least while I own the car. And, Elon just bent the knee on Bitcoin which I think will have a dramatic effect on its price ... which is the main reason I wanted to cancel my orders to start with. Hopefully, the Libertarian versus Environmentalists war is over.
No 4680’s according to engineers Warren talked to at the event. 18650’s

as @MC3OZ and I hypothesized earlier, the weight savings comes from many areas including:

Fewer batteries, better pack, lighter heating system, redesigned interior..

Long video, but this is discussed in the 1st 12 minutes.

I’ve only watched that much so far. There are other revelations as well.

Highly recommended.

No 4680’s according to engineers Warren talked to at the event. 18650’s

as @MC3OZ and I hypothesized earlier, the weight savings comes from many areas including:

Fewer batteries, better pack, lighter heating system, redesigned interior..

Long video, but this is discussed in the 1st 12 minutes.

I’ve only watched that much so far. There are other revelations as well.

Highly recommended.

So do we know how many kwh does the new LR/Plaid S has?

Easily done with EVTO which I posted about the other day.

Here I did a quick trip example to Austin, TX, and selected I needed 100 miles reserved on arrival. EVTO calculated enough charge at the last Supercharger to enable an additional 34% charge, so I’d arrive with my default 15% plus the 34% for local trips.

This is for a one way trip. If a return was planned, that would change the destination rate to include enough charge to get back on the return to the last charger visited.

EVTO is very complex yet very complete. I feel people never give it a chance due to the plethora of features it has. It’s really quite simple to use once the time is spent in learning it. FWIW.
Sigh, probably would have helped to have added the screenshot.

A24A96F5-8CBC-4553-9E59-8103D577041C.png

The longest range camera on the Tesla has a range of 250 m (820 ft). At 200 mph, that distance is covered in 2.8 seconds.

I don't know about you, but I've never driven even 70% of that speed, but even then I'm looking 10 seconds down the road (or further). And I'm not depending on my reaction time, I'm depending upon my vision.

I'm not even going to talk about energy gradients, but I remind you that KE = 1/2 m v^2

What kinda processing is needed to “see” to drive at that speed, constant?

I’m disappointed at your 2d thinking my friend.

SpaceX package allows you to jump over when necessary:)