Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It'd be helful if you put one or two words of description of what you are linking to and about.

Something more informative than "from CBNC today" or "From twitter" or "from some guy"

like what is it about?

On a slow connection or on one that blocks some servers all I see is like the screenshot below, Curt's message and Prunesquallor both just look like bare twitter links to me, I had to open the link in a new tab to see the content.

View attachment 673086
I don't quite understand. Normally I do include explanatory excerpts when I link material. But in this case the tweets were fully displayed in the post along with their obvious meanings. The same for when you posted a quote of my post. Are you saying that the tweets do not immediately appear in the posts on your screen, and that a link must be clicked? Even if that were the case, it takes a tenth of a second to open the links. If this is a problem, perhaps you need a different browser rather than demanding otherwise unnecessary work from others who are providing a free service for you.

It'd be helful if you put one or two words of description of what you are linking to and about.

Something more informative than "from CBNC today" or "From twitter" or "from some guy"

like what is it about?

On a slow connection or on one that blocks some servers all I see is like the screenshot below, Curt's message and Prunesquallor both just look like bare twitter links to me, I had to open the link in a new tab to see the content.

View attachment 673086

The forum software isn’t properly displaying Twitter links for you for some reason. They should show up as embedded tweets, which gives pretty much all the context that is needed.

The forum software isn’t properly displaying Twitter links for you for some reason. They should show up as embedded tweets, which gives pretty much all the context that is needed.

Yeah but the forum retrieves that twitter snapshot from twitter's servers at render time. He's apparently operating a browser in an environment where the internet is broken in some way. Maybe his bosses block twitter because he works for a company that treats its workers like small children, or he has overly restrictive security settings or over-aggressive anti-banner ad software. Either way the problem is on his end.

View attachment 673100
James Stephenson predicting $1.432Bn net income in Q2 and $3.99Bn in Q4!

Fixed income is the flat black line at the bottom. :cool:

Thread here:

Looks like James is predicting that Tesla uses the tax allowance in Q4 which gets that massive $3.93 in EPS.

Beyond that though, his delivery and earnings are pretty close to what I'm predicting. Gotta love that operation leverage ;)

Also to note, my estimations of what the P/E drops to if the stock price stayed at 600 until the end of the year are based on much more conservative numbers than this. If Jame's forecast actually end up being close, the P/E drop will be even more drastic than I've been alluding to.

I believe I heard Susan Collins on TV refer to plans to tax EV vehicles to pay for the infrastructure bill. Referred to freeriders….

Last edited:
I believe I heard Susan Collins on TV refer to plans to tax EV vehicles to pay for the infrastructure bill. Referred to freeriders….

I’ll tell you what, Susan. I’ll trade you your crappy gas tax for NOT polluting the air and NOT contributing to global warming.

Agree 100% with @MC3OZ . I initially really liked the Tesla Economist videos, but I’m noticing more and more sloppiness like this exact thing.
I've already cancelled my Plaid + order but I decided to wait on the X. Still a chance that it has 4680 cells or cast components. Maybe that's why Elon hasn't talked about the S's batteries? Also, I don't like paying (again) for an autopilot that hasn't lived up to projections and still may never be fully autonomous - at least while I own the car. And, Elon just bent the knee on Bitcoin which I think will have a dramatic effect on its price ... which is the main reason I wanted to cancel my orders to start with. Hopefully, the Libertarian versus Environmentalists war is over.

I don't quite understand. Normally I do include explanatory excerpts when I link material. But in this case the tweets were fully displayed in the post along with their obvious meanings. The same for when you posted a quote of my post. Are you saying that the tweets do not immediately appear in the posts on your screen, and that a link must be clicked? Even if that were the case, it takes a tenth of a second to open the links. If this is a problem, perhaps you need a different browser rather than demanding otherwise unnecessary work from others who are providing a free service for you.

You commonly post youtube CNBC content with explanations like "CNBC 2 hours ago", that isn't contextual in any way, all I can tell from your post is you posted some sort of CNBC youtube video, I have to watch several minutes of it to even have a clue what you thought was interesting or informative in it.

Twitter links may or may not be as bad. If you link to a feed and I come by your post after the fact your link takes me to the feed not to the thing you thought was interesting or informative.

If the link is a proper link to a post I can open it in a new tab and figure out what you linked to but as it was today I saw 3 posts from 3 different people with links to twitter and no contextual clue if they had linked to similar content, double posted the same content, or were all unrelated.

TMC software takes your link, pulls some content, modifies the link and then presents it to the people that come along afterward.

Not everyone on the internet sees the same content, How they view it: laptop, desktop, phone, or car. The browser and internet used affect what they see. When they view it: same day, hours later, days later can affect it also. If you don't care how your content comes across you can ignore my feedback.

Last edited:
Power density is not the same as charging capability. Charging capability would be the ability to quickly charge given a certain battery size. Apples to Apples, as in 100kWh battery vs 100kWh battery. Those being equal, the 2170's could charge at a higher rate, even with the 2170's using traditional tabs and the 4680's using tabless. Now a 4680 battery at 100kWh would almost certainly be lighter, which would mean better performance and longer range, but that is not the same as 'charging capability'. Also the 2170 cells themselves that are used in Tesla's have a higher charging capability then is being used today. It is held back by wire size/weight tradeoffs and cooling capability (pack not cell) limits. The 4680 cells initially will be charging much closer to the cells theoretical peak vs the 2170. Again, at the CELL level not the pack level.

4680 is better due to cost and weight reductions, but with all tech applied to the 2170 being equal to the 4680 (chemistry, and tabless) the 2170 would be the higher performing cell in a performance car.
Responding to bolded part above. I disagree. A lighter battery means longer range per kWh which translates into a faster charging MPH for the same JPH (joule-per-hour) charging rate. MPH charging rate is what actually matters and it will be higher.

Reactions: StealthP3D and Char
That does seem high. Do we have confirmation of it being 1p4s and not 2p4s?
Yeah 1p4s

1623619382307.png

Responding to bolded part above. I disagree. A lighter battery means longer range per kWh which translates into a faster charging MPH for the same JPH (joule-per-hour) charging rate. MPH charging rate is what actually matters and it will be higher.
your Not disagreeing with me. you are just having a comprehension issue. I agree that a lighter battery can mean a faster mph charging rate. I never said otherwise.

You commonly post youtube CNBC content with explanations like "CNBC 2 hours ago", that isn't contextual in any way, all I can tell from your post is you posted some sort of CNBC youtube video, I have to watch several minutes of it to even have a clue what you thought was interesting or informative in it.

Twitter links may or may not be as bad. If you link to a feed and I come by your post after the fact your link takes me to the feed not to the thing you thought was interesting or informative.

If the link is a proper link to a post I can open it in a new tab and figure out what you linked to but as it was today I saw 3 posts from 3 different people with links to twitter and no contextual clue if they had linked to similar content, double posted the same content, or were all unrelated.

TMC software takes your link, pulls some content, modifies the link and then presents it to the people that come along afterward.

Not everyone on the internet sees the same content, How they view it: laptop, desktop, phone, car the browser and internet used affect what they see. When they view it: same day, hours later, days later can affect it also. If you don't care how your content comes across you can ignore my feedback.
I provide YouTube and Twitter posts for which the image makes the subject matter clear. If not, I add a line. For YouTube, I also provide the source and time which is unnecessary for Twitter. For written material, I provide excerpts, while many other posters here do not. Apparently your browser creates problems for you, and taking a moment to click is a problem. You may want to change your browser. Otherwise, please ignore my posts. Meanwhile, I look forward to heads-ups for articles and other material posted by you.

Last edited:
I provide YouTube and Twitter posts for which the image makes the subject matter clear. If not, I add a line. For YouTube, I also provide the source and time which is unnecessary for Twitter. For written material, I provide excerpts, while many other posters here do not. Apparently your browser creates problems for you, and taking a moment to click is a problem. You may want to change your browser. Otherwise, please ignore my posts. Meanwhile, I look forward to heads-ups for articles and other material posted by you.
Curt, while all links seem to work for most readers here the latest software upgrade a few months ago broke something with Twitter (and some others) links for many. I can still see youtube links as thumbnails. Twitter links not so. I could see them before the 'upgrade'.

For reference it doesn't matter which of several browsers, with or without adblock, or if I'm logged into twitter or not. This is on desktop where I can watch every unsavory page on the internet with no problem. But Twitter doesn't like to show thumbnails on tmc.

I've complained in the appropriate thread but seems to get no traction. It's not your problem since it does seem to work for most. But it's not really solvable for us random users that have the problem either.

Edit: And just to clarify. For someone with the problem there is no way to know that everybody else don't have it until you complain and somebody tells you. That's why this is probably at least the 5th time this has come up in this thread.

Last edited:
Watching this thread in a sneaky browser window at work I find Twitter links are invisible as Twitter is banned on work PCs.

I tend to copy the link, email it to my gmail then view it on my phone, which is even more banned, but easier to circumvent.

Can someone tell me what is so great about the Mach E? Seems like everyone forgot it uses as much batteries as a model X to get the performance 2nd to the Model Y and being sold at a massive loss.
Well for one I think the Norway test makes clear is that that Tesla should consider re-introducing the LR single motor variant.

The Mach-e that came close to the model 3 in the Range test not only did it from a slightly larger battery (88KW vs the 82KW model 3), but also by being a more efficient single motor variant. (The dual motor LR Mach-e had significantly less range).

There are some buyers/geographic markets where range is absolutely paramount and where performance is far down the list of priorities. i can understand why Tesla removed the single motor LR 3 (simplified production, increased margins with the higher priced AWD LR), but one would think it should have a place back in the line up eventually. You could even price it the same as the AWD variant so people can choose between range or performance If they like (This would also make the single motor LR variant a very high margin vehicle). Maybe when they transition to the new cells would be the time to play around a bit with the lineup.

Watching this thread in a sneaky browser window at work I find Twitter links are invisible as Twitter is banned on work PCs.

I tend to copy the link, email it to my gmail then view it on my phone, which is even more banned, but easier to circumvent.
That's a different problem (and solution) though. Work blocking you is totally different from this issue where we can all click the actual link and get to twitter. It's just that we can't see what the link is about before we click it. Which is annoying when sometimes it's an important Elon tweet and sometimes ... it's not.

Reactions: 15Peter20
Yeah 1p4s

View attachment 673114

I see. Then going back to your original assumption that its Ah rating is too high for a 2170 NMC - I found a 26650 NMC cell rated for 12Ah, so perhaps the 2170 is an NCA version?

I've already cancelled my Plaid + order but I decided to wait on the X. Still a chance that it has 4680 cells or cast components. Maybe that's why Elon hasn't talked about the S's batteries? Also, I don't like paying (again) for an autopilot that hasn't lived up to projections and still may never be fully autonomous - at least while I own the car. And, Elon just bent the knee on Bitcoin which I think will have a dramatic effect on its price ... which is the main reason I wanted to cancel my orders to start with. Hopefully, the Libertarian versus Environmentalists war is over.

The way I see things is the the Raven update was hard to do, Tesla was probably butting up against design limitations in many areas, but they still managed to do the Raven upgrade, possibly bringing forward some parts of the Refresh.

But after the Raven upgrade Tesla had a very good idea what parts of the Model S needed changing and the Refresh changed everything that needed changing, but only things that needed changing, For all the focus on batteries, I think the wiring architecture is possibly a bigger deal.

It seems to me like the Refresh pack is the same shape and size as the Raven pack, and that probably has a lot of advantages.

Model X is a different vehicle entirely, 4680 might be a good fit, but that means making 2 kinds of Model S/X packs not one..

My hunch is Plaid+ was using a 200 kWh pack from the Roadster.,, and that may not be 4680, because we would need to work out how a 200 kWh 4680 single layer pack fits in the Roadster footprint... I think a single layer pack will be prefered to dual layer, even if it means some compromises.
(But the most accurate statement on the Roadster pack is. we don't currently know what cells it will use.)

Tesla Battery Day tells us, the 4680 format delivers 16% more range... and a 14% kWh cost reduction

So will a new 4680 based pack fit neatly into the Refreshed Model X without causing cascading design changes?
When will 4680 cells be available in sufficient volume?

If you are not in a rush, it may be worth waiting, at least to be 100% happy with your purchase.

But I expect to see Model Ys with 4680s made in Austin rolling off the line at Austin, before we see 4680s in Model S/X.
Tesla has confirmed 4680s in Model Y and probably Cybertruck, in any other vehicle they are merely speculation.

Last edited: