Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Basically innovation, battery efficiency, and technology such as AI are key

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GOVA and AimStellar
On Jun 16, Elon replied to a tweet saying "Massive increase in Supercharger network is underway"

Now that Q2 is over, how do the numbers look?
(Disclaimer: data was pulled from supercharge.info, which is not official data from Tesla, data represented below is just for the US)

New locations per quarter (new record)
1625158250517.png

New stalls per quarter
1625158344718.png

A 56-stall Supercharger was opened in Q4 2020 so that quarter still holds the record for the most new stalls.

Have you all seen the used prices for Model 3s and potentially other Teslas?

Tesla is selling local to me a 2018 Model 3 LR not a P, 18" wheels, silver w/ black interior, FSD, 62,000 miles for $51,700. OMFG

The demand must be nuts to support numbers like that!

I may list my 2018 LR with 47k miles. If I get funny money for it I can finance a new P and pay for it with a couple covered calls a month while I wait for the Roadster.

White House tweet promoting EV's, infrastructure bill, and the Chevy Bolt

The Good: The Mission in general, Buy American!

The Bad: No mention of Tesla or Ford

The Ugly: Secretary Granholm (former Michigan governor) nor President Biden are likely ever going to jump in with both feet on Tesla's behalf the way they do with legacy auto. On one hand, I guess it's ok because anyone who considers a BEV will undoubtedly run across Tesla and a rising tide and what not. On the other hand, my sense of fair play is getting seriously rankled here. The government, who I'm told are the good guys now, completely ignore the leader and innovator and promote the laggards and followers.

No doubt this is a better situation for Tesla and The Mission, but there was less steam coming out of my ears when it seemed that the Feds were just pretty much never speaking about EVs at all and just letting things play out rather than playing favorites. So I guess overall I'm glad that the boat is sinking more slowly now, but I'm seriously pissed about the arrangement of the deck chairs.
Of course it is politically motivated, but also think bragging on Tesla doesnt help. By politically motivated what I believe is that using Tesla as the poster child presents more possible damage to the possibility of getting the changes passed. Why? Tesla is California based and GQP will use that against the changes. Musk wealth will be held against the changes. Tesla results will be used to say we dont need this. After all Tesla sells every car they make, so why do we need these changes. So yeah it is irritating that Tesla doesnt get the Kudos, what is important for Tesla and the rest of us is the changes get passed into law.

This is TSLA, today. What's this mean, anyone? Breakout today?
Strikes me as a mini _____ pattern within a grander version of itself.

View attachment 601340
This comment and graph from Oct 22, 2020 and it looks just like today. (How many people wondering what happened next day <insert link to YouTube Channel>).

So I read further and found this explanation on that same day in 2020.

Well the real headline here is:

GLJ Research analyst Gordon Johnson increase $TSLA price target to $40 - a rise of 235% over previous

Tesla is selling local to me a 2018 Model 3 LR not a P, 18" wheels, silver w/ black interior, FSD, 62,000 miles for $51,700. OMFG

I may list my 2018 LR with 47k miles. If I get funny money for it I can finance a new P and pay for it with a couple covered calls a month while I wait for the Roadster.

Model 3s comp to mine are selling for more than I paid.

So tesla is a decade ahead. Cool
This is funny, but actually kind true. 8 years ago everyone was 5 years behind. Then in the last few years it's clearly stretched to more like 7.

Now we hear guys like ex Ford CEO Mark Fields on CNBC this morning saying the auto majors might start thinking about vertical integration a little bit. What? They're not even convinced their just-in-time supplier heavy process can't be viable moving forward.

That was Tesla 10 years ago. They're all talking a lot, but standing still.

Yea, or just buy a new 2021LR and more TSLA. The new one is an upgrade from your current one and puts you in a better place in the future for trade ins.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog and wipster
MODERATOR -

Not only has this topic - not unexpectedly - turned way Off Topic for an Investors’ forum, but it now is being populated not only with personal opinions but with BAD MISINFORMATION.

And so….I will have the last word on this subject, ===>after which it will not appear more in this thread.<===

1. What is WRONG with the above is that it is presented as though these hand positions are how NHTSA asserts one should hold the steering wheel. This is NOT SO. This is how they recommend manipulating the wheel during a turn. It obviously is not how a yoke should be manipulated during a turn.

2. How NHTSA recommends one holds the wheel during normal driving is fully explained in many states’ DMV pages; the following is from California.

In summary, a yoke is a perfect combination of safe holding, safe viewing of any screen that might be in front of a steering wheel, and a safe site for which to be positioning one’s hands in the microseconds before and during the deployment of an air bag:

Steering​

Recommendations for steering control and hand positions differ from vehicle to vehicle based on the size, age, speed, and responsiveness of the vehicle. While there is no one correct hand position or way to steer, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has provided some basic guidelines.

Hand Position

If you think of the steering wheel as the face of a clock, place your hands at 9 and 3 o’clock, or slightly lower at 8 and 4 o’clock. To reduce face, arm, and hand injuries in the case of a deployed air bag, you should grip the outside of the steering wheel, with your knuckles on the outside of the wheel, and your thumbs stretched along the rim.

I watch TSMC. Taiwanese companies report financials each month. So you get a more current view of the tech industry. Also the bottleneck is currently tsmc so they control whether or not anyone can ramp up.

Yea, or just buy a new 2021LR and more TSLA. The new one is an upgrade from your current one and puts you in a better place in the future for trade ins.
Our LR RWD 3 was fun... until dual motors showed up next to it in the Y. Always wanted the Dual 3, but taxes and timing made it risky at the time. Maybe it is a good time to sell it. But it's got the factory orange windows and had the best watts/per mile efficiency and 325 mi range - so a collector? Upgraded FSD Computer - harder to sell and recapture FSD in a private sale?

This is funny, but actually kind true. 8 years ago everyone was 5 years behind. Then in the last few years it's clearly stretched to more like 7.

Now we hear guys like ex Ford CEO Mark Fields on CNBC this morning saying the auto majors might start thinking about vertical integration a little bit. What? They're not even convinced their just-in-time supplier heavy process can't be viable moving forward.

That was Tesla 10 years ago. They're all talking a lot, but standing still.
I was more referring to the cost per kwh. Isn't the current estimate $80?

Our LR RWD 3 was fun... until dual motors showed up next to it in the Y. Always wanted the Dual 3, but taxes and timing made it risky at the time. Maybe it is a good time to sell it. But it's got the factory orange windows and had the best watts/per mile efficiency and 325 mi range - so a collector? Upgraded FSD Computer - harder to sell and recapture FSD in a private sale?
Whoa, I need to take another look. We plan to replace our LR RWD Model 3 with a Model Y. I figured we should wait until the EV tax credit issue was resolved one way or the other. But the iron is hot; we may want to strike now. It has only 26K miles, and is one of the rare ones: silver with the orange glass.

And to make this on topic, our plan is to purchase a Model Y, finance it (we never finance our cars) and use the cash to buy more shares. 😁