Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's some interesting timing on this New York Times front-page hit piece. Someone is seriously spooked about Tesla's Q2 earnings? First this mysterious Plaid S fire with celebrity lawyer and now the NYT hit piece. I wonder how much that cost, the NYT doesn't work for cheap.
So the truck changed lanes, pulled in front of the Tesla, and was rear ended. Then “Fifteen-year-old Jovani, who had been in the front passenger seat and not wearing his seatbelt, was thrown from the Ford and died, according to a police report.”
The telemetry even shows the vehicle attempting to slow down.

I also have to imagine the truck slowed down significantly to cause an impact capable of catapulting an ocupant from the vehicle in front of it. It would be helpful if they included the entire 6 second clip.

The telemetry even shows the Tesla attempting to slow down.

What a misleading article.

Last edited:
So the truck changed lanes, pulled in front of the Tesla, and was rear ended. Then “Fifteen-year-old Jovani, who had been in the front passenger seat and not wearing his seatbelt, was thrown from the Ford and died, according to a police report.”

I also have to imagine the truck slowed down significantly to cause an impact capable of catapulting an ocupant from the vehicle in front of it. It would be helpful if they included the entire 6 second clip.

Total hit piece. Has the NYTimes become an ambulance chaser.

Wow, 100%. I guess not wearing a seatbelt and cutting off a fast-moving car don't matter?

I bet they thought the last sentence of the article was a mic drop, but it comes off as a gross use of a tragic death for an agenda:
(Spoiler - a bit graphic)
"Jovani Maldonado was found lying face down on the shoulder of Interstate 880, his blood pooling."

Lol, if the NYT was ever something more than a yellow rag it has been at least 70 years or so.

Listen, just another paid media site. No different from the likes of WaPo or Fox or CNBS. Except for its righteous sanctimony and claiming to be the paper of record. Which somehow makes it worse….

Holy crap this family has some balls trying to sue Tesla with that video. I wouldn't be shocked if the driver doesn't end up in jail because there's a case to be made for involuntary manslaughter here by the driver or breaking the child neglect law. I definitely see reckless driving as a charge here.

Been in line close to 2 hrs at Yuma supercharger. West 50 mi has a huge line, East 50 mi has the maintenance wrench icon and line. Person in line now debating a second Tesla if is is how it's going to be." Many others said this never has happened to them. Good news, a few handing out water to help. It's 118 deg now and everyone running out of battery here. Status of this charger was inaccurate and didnt help stating 2 stalls avail. Tesla service please?

Sandy was also very clear that the Mach-E’s battery pack provided strength to the body in white, as Tesla will be doing ‘soon’ with the new cell size. So it’s not apples to apples yet. The acid test for Ford will be when it’s compared to the structural 1480 battery pack.
I know where my money is.

Interesting news with Rimac Bugatti and Croatian electric supercar maker Rimac to combine in joint venture

A joint venture that effectively gives Rimac control over the Bugatti brand. Some pretty compelling commercial evidence that the era of ICE is over when a scrappy startup suddenly takes control of such a centurys’ old preeminent brand.

Porsche takes 45 percent stake in Bugatti-Rimac on behalf of Volkswagen and retains its 24 percent share in the Rimac Group. Giving VW Group majority ownership.

Mate Rimac will be CEO of new Group.

VW was considering shuttering Bugatti for the third time in its existence. Because it doesn't make money. It was yet another vanity project of former VW Group CEO Ferdinand Piech.

That's some interesting timing on this New York Times front-page hit piece. Someone is seriously spooked about Tesla's Q2 earnings? First this mysterious Plaid S fire with celebrity lawyer and now the NYT hit piece. I wonder how much that cost, the NYT doesn't work for cheap.

Front page and with grippingly gruesome details.

At least three Tesla drivers have died since 2016 in crashes in which Autopilot was engaged and failed to detect obstacles in the road. In two instances, the system did not brake for tractor-trailers crossing highways. In the third, it failed to recognize a concrete barrier. In June, the federal traffic safety agency released a list showing that at least 10 people have been killed in eight accidents involving Autopilot since 2016.

*yawn*

Been in line close to 2 hrs at Yuma supercharger. West 50 mi has a huge line, East 50 mi has the maintenance wrench icon and line. Person in line now debating a second Tesla if is is how it's going to be." Many others said this never has happened to them. Good news, a few handing out water to help. It's 118 deg now and everyone running out of battery here. Status of this charger was inaccurate and didnt help stating 2 stalls avail. Tesla service please?
I would love to see a mobile "Supercharger-on-a-truck" that come to the rescue in this type of situation, we need to factor in driving time for the truck, but it must take a while for this kind of queue to form... If the maintenance team comes with the truck, they can fix problems, and customers can use the truck in the interim.

Or maybe the answer is just keep expanding Supercharging until this is no longer a problem.

I'm super frustrated by the story. It's FUD fest. And how that kid isn't wearing a seat belt is neglect by parents and the car the truck they were driving. The truck must have collided with the wall before victim was ejected.

That being said, Autopilot clearly should have stopped and I'm suprised it didn't quite frankly, a newer firmware version surely would have stopped. In coming years, these things are bound to happen more frequently and is the irony of in increasingly capable system allowing driver's too be complacent and confident in the system.

For better or for worse, Tesla represents autonomous driving. Even though Uber killed someone, and even Lora Koldony reported a Waymo accident hitting a scooter recently. I believe we need good PR and advertising exactly for these purposes. Educate the consumer before media makes an easy story out of it. We are no longer a niche. Time to own the narrative.