Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I gave Tesla some dis yesterday on the Super Chargers in Yuma, but today I was going over some weekend pics and this one should get more attention IMO.

This was the ICE gas line as we stopped for a gallon of water was all (and a really good idea it turned out!) When we pulled up, we were so glad we didn't have to wait there, then chuckled some. Lol, Karma or what later that day? We also felt like foreigners and here's a safety tip: DO NOT block a gas pump to clean your windshield or to get air. Bad idea, people are not friendly.

1625761740754.png

Think about their process - we all lived it so nothing new here. But just for a reminder of what we're NOT missing.

1. Pay First? At some places they need to stand in line to pay for the gas up front or hand over a credit card (newer stops don't require this).
2. Then wait in line until you're at an open pump, and you waste 2 min to decide which octane you need today (oh wait, put out your cigarette first).
3. Then visit the restroom (a line there ladies?). But it needs a special key attached to a stick.
4. When you're done, now go shut off the pump (what, no notifications?)
5. Come inside to pay (forgot mask again?) but then spend another 5 min trying trying on soda lids to find the right size - you know that store with all the healthiest food.
6. Back in line to pay at "Pump #... Um... it's that grey Camry out there".
7. Maybe someone cleaned the windshield, but if driving solo, that's got to happen in there too.
8. Tires "look" OK, but wait... "Do you have 10W-30 oil?" Oops spilled some more on the exhaust manifold. And then you track that crap on your shoes right back into your vehicle or home. They all know you should never mix your oils without some oil foaming potential. Or do they?
9. Then you're stuck bc the guy in front shut off his engine and it overheated... WHAT AN IDIOT! And now he's going for the radiator cap... "STOP" someone yells out. Wow, that doesn't happen when it's 118F.
10. Then some idiot starts a new line from the other direction. The nerve to change the flow of traffic! I think there's a fight.

Meanwhile, that "pit stop" just turned into "No seriously... we gotta get back on the road people" some 30-45 min later. And people are worried about a 15-25 min Charge Time and getting better all the time? They must be blocking out memories or they really do believe they kept the pit stop to 5 min. Ya right...

Really stretching for the character count here when the only thing they can come up with to pad their article is an attempted dig at Tesla.

For those that dont want to click:

View attachment 682643

The selective bias never ceases to amaze me. Every car's 0-60 time is measure in the most optimal conditions. Nevermind the fact that there's video evidence of the Plaid doing 0-60 in 2.18 seconds with no launch mode on regular roads.

I gave Tesla some dis yesterday on the Super Chargers in Yuma, but today I was going over some weekend pics and this one should get more attention IMO.

This was the ICE gas line as we stopped for a gallon of water was all (and a really good idea it turned out!) When we pulled up, we were so glad we didn't have to wait there, then chuckled some. Lol, Karma or what later that day? We also felt like foreigners and here's a safety tip: DO NOT block a gas pump to clean your windshield or to get air. Bad idea, people are not friendly.

View attachment 682602

Think about their process - we all lived it so nothing new here. But just for a reminder of what we're NOT missing.

1. Pay First? At some places they need to stand in line to pay for the gas up front or hand over a credit card (newer stops don't require this).
2. Then wait in line until you're at an open pump, and you waste 2 min to decide which octane you need today (oh wait, put out your cigarette first).
3. Then visit the restroom (a line there ladies?). But it needs a special key attached to a stick.
4. When you're done, now go shut off the pump (what, no notifications?)
5. Come inside to pay (forgot mask again?) but then spend another 5 min trying trying on soda lids to find the right size - you know that store with all the healthiest food.
6. Back in line to pay at "Pump #... Um... it's that grey Camry out there".
7. Maybe someone cleaned the windshield, but if driving solo, that's got to happen in there too.
8. Tires "look" OK, but wait... "Do you have 10W-30 oil?" Oops spilled some more on the exhaust manifold. And then you track that crap on your shoes right back into your vehicle or home. They all know you should never mix your oils without some oil foaming potential. Or do they?
9. Then you're stuck bc the guy in front shut off his engine and it overheated... WHAT AN IDIOT! And now he's going for the radiator cap... "STOP" someone yells out. Wow, that doesn't happen when it's 118F.
10. Then some idiot starts a new line from the other direction. The nerve to change the flow of traffic! I think there's a fight.

Meanwhile, that "pit stop" just turned into "No seriously... we gotta get back on the road people" some 30-45 min later. And people are worried about a 15-25 min Charge Time and getting better all the time? They must be blocking out memories or they really do believe they kept the pit stop to 5 min. Ya right...
This reminds me of infomercials that start out by showing people being unable to do common tasks.

No, my gas fillups weren't like this. It never took me 5 minutes to select a lid for a drink, nor did I need 2 minutes to select an octane.

I think people are rationalizing. I understand it is a different experience with small kids, but for solo travelers it is easy to fill a gas tank and be out in 5 minutes or less.

I like some of my charging stop breaks and my 2021 Tesla charges noticeably quicker than my 2013 did, but there is still room for improvement to get it closer to parity with the gasoline experience on road trips.

This thread isn't purely a place for sharing, or god forbid linking to, FUD and then "complaining" about it. This smacks of care-bear-ism if you ask me.

We have plenty of FUD threads, put it in there. This thread is for tequila delivery time speculation and fanciful $1200 SP dreams.
I thought it was for 700 call options discussions:cool:

This reminds me of infomercials that start out by showing people being unable to do common tasks.

No, my gas fillups weren't like this. It never took me 5 minutes to select a lid for a drink, nor did I need 2 minutes to select an octane.

I think people are rationalizing. I understand it is a different experience with small kids, but for solo travelers it is easy to fill a gas tank and be out in 5 minutes or less.

I like some of my charging stop breaks and my 2021 Tesla charges noticeably quicker than my 2013 did, but there is still room for improvement to get it closer to parity with the gasoline experience on road trips.
In all fairness, 7 to 8 minutes would be standard from parking to driving. But any issues (ever had a slow pump? Damn that is annoying) or extras could easily run it into the 15 to 20 minute range.

That is what I remember anyway.

Less than five minutes to pump a tank of gas is an optimal result and from my memories, a minority of my gas station stops.

Really don't think parity is a must. Fact that it is only needed for road trips almost guarantees that you have to engage in extras like food or bathroom visits and that whole deal is easy to hit 20 minutes.

Interesting. Apparently someone decided to pay to advertise Tesla in time Square. Video to the left. Was up for a hour.

I can't find it now, but I remember there was a thread on here about a guy with a friend who had access to a Times Square billboard and he was going to tell him to run a Tesla ad. Maybe this is that. Anyone else remember?

I haven't been to a gas station in almost 3 years, but shortly before I sold my 2 ICE vehicles, my local gas station installed pumps with TV's built in to the gas pumps. Going to the gas station became a painful experience because as soon as the pump handle was removed, commercials would begin to play at an excessively loud volume, with no means to turn down the sound. With 22K miles on (one of) my Teslas, almost all of my charging (99%) has been at home. Road trips for me are usually from home to a destination charger or hotel with a destination charger.

I must say, I find your comment "but there is still room for improvement to get it closer to parity with the gasoline experience on road trips" quite amusing, since I don't miss having to visit gas stations.

1) Assuming a Tesla primarily charging in a home garage: How much time spent per year at Supercharging stations?
2) Assuming an ICE car: How much time spent per year at gas stations?

BTW, it takes me longer than 5 minutes at a gas station. Much of this is due to my bank insisting that I pay inside the store, since my credit card data were once stolen from a gas station pump.

Last edited: