Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another excellent video from The Limiting Factor, giving an overview of the Berlin battery cell production building and the likely timelines:

At the end he questions whether the Austin north west corner section rumoured to be for battery cells is correct. Based on my review of the Berlin plans and watching the foundations for Austin, I would say that the north west corner of Austin is definitely for battery cell production.

TLDR; Electrek says Tesla is leading a 95% increase in EV sales in the US so far

"The top 10 best-selling EVs in the US from January to April 2021, according to registration data:

1. Tesla Model Y: 53,102

2. Tesla Model 3: 35,468

3. Chevrolet Bolt EV: 13,611
  4. Ford Mustang Mach-E: 6,104
  5. Nissan Leaf: 5,023
  6. Audi e-tron: 4,321
  7. Porsche Taycan: 3,002
  8. Hyundai Kona: 2,192
  9. Tesla Model X: 1,730
  10. Tesla Model S: 1,633"

Another excellent video from The Limiting Factor, giving an overview of the Berlin battery cell production building and the likely timelines:

At the end he questions whether the Austin north west corner section rumoured to be for battery cells is correct. Based on my review of the Berlin plans and watching the foundations for Austin, I would say that the north west corner of Austin is definitely for battery cell production.
That ability to tell a factory process from a foundation or just poles in the ground is a unique skill set. I never paid much attention, but this one might be special if it's for the batteries out of Berlin.

• Funny
Reactions: elasalle
I think that's a massive mistake. It is too late for an ICE ban in Europe. 2035 is not going to make a difference. The conversion will have occurred before. Already today there are a million car related conspiracy theories that try to spin the obvious, clear and open failure of German car makers into a sinister game of politics "the EU is out to get German car makers, the EPA only fined VW on emission cheating as part of a war against German car makers, the Chinese only instate ICE regulations to kick-out the German car makers" etc. If the EU would ban ICE cars, the idiots feeing like victims (where quite frankly the German car industry had the best pre-conditions to be leading BEV making by far!) would be emboldened.

So personally I don't think an ICE ban by 2035 is going to make a difference and I would prefer if the EU does not institute an ICE ban.
While I agree that the markets for ICE passenger vehicles and perhaps that for all ICE road vehicles will likely have imploded before 2035 and therefore bans are not truly necessary, I still think there is some value to such bans.

Even if legacy OEM’s believe there’s an escape clause for them in a ban, such bans also imply that these OEM’s ought not come looking for a(nother) bailout for their ICE businesses.

Tesla has a fortress balance sheet now. A Moody's upgrade means very little. It would have been useful before Tesla became extremely cashflow positive and raised $10b last year.

Might there be additional buying pressure post - Moody's upgrade - from entities that can only buy if ratings are higher than X ? ie. some types of pension funds ?

Cathy Wood will be on CNBC to discuss China this morning. No mention of Tesla At this time.

There was mention that the state of Alaska had padded their holdings with an additional 100,000 shares (up from 2k shares) and done well.

So did Cathie make her appearance on CNBC? Nothing on their Youtube ch. yet.

Fed Chair JP did talk about the need for a regulatory framework for a digital dollar:

Cheers!

TLDR; Electrek says Tesla is leading a 95% increase in EV sales in the US so far

"The top 10 best-selling EVs in the US from January to April 2021, according to registration data:

1. Tesla Model Y: 53,102

2. Tesla Model 3: 35,468

3. Chevrolet Bolt EV: 13,611
  4. Ford Mustang Mach-E: 6,104
  5. Nissan Leaf: 5,023
  6. Audi e-tron: 4,321
  7. Porsche Taycan: 3,002
  8. Hyundai Kona: 2,192
  9. Tesla Model X: 1,730
  10. Tesla Model S: 1,633"

But... But .. no demand!

And surprise... they 'closed the gap' to last Friday ('news' means nothing to these people unless it's bad, or fake, or frawd...)

Now only $1.70 left to go to tag the Middle-BB: (currently at 656.50)

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2021-07-14.14-00.png

Long way to go to the river... :p

Cheers!

Perhaps Berlin will have to export to the US. Can the Germans ramp fast enough to help with the demand? Hopefully the next 1 or 2 GF locations are announced at earnings.

I’m pessimistic about Giga Berlin producing anything in 2021, because of the lengthy and complicated permit approval processes in Germany and these “environmentalist” group’s ability to delay and request hearings. See this recent video:

Might there be additional buying pressure post - Moody's upgrade - from entities that can only buy if ratings are higher than X ? ie. some types of pension funds ?
My understanding is that it is pretty much only debt investors who care about ratings agency ratings. Equity investors have other metrics to evaluate companies. A ratings upgrade will still provide Tesla with cheaper debt issuances, but Tesla doesn't really need to raise any debt at the moment (with the exception of their vehicle financing program, which has many other factors in its debt rating).

In your example I think the debt side of the pension fund would care, the equity side probably wouldn't.

Still nice to have a higher rating, but I don't see it moving the needle.

My understanding is that it is pretty much only debt investors who care about ratings agency ratings. Equity investors have other metrics to evaluate companies. A ratings upgrade will still provide Tesla with cheaper debt issuances, but Tesla doesn't really need to raise any debt at the moment (with the exception of their vehicle financing program, which has many other factors in its debt rating).

In your example I think the debt side of the pension fund would care, the equity side probably wouldn't.

Still nice to have a higher rating, but I don't see it moving the needle.

Indeed, and the chorus has already begun the cries for the FED to pare back Corporate bond purchases: (2 x CNBC vids from earlier today)

IMO, Tesla will do well to avoid selling any paper to the FED. Don't need'em.

Cheers!

If you don't like camping out at $670 for a while, buy a couple of shares. Let that be your protest.

My limit order got filled at $670 yesterday. I've got another on ready to snag a few more shares at $660.

Best of luck, y'all.
It's not fair that @jhm keeps making all the money. When is TSLA gonna reward the perpetually tapped out short term options investor!

My rollercoaster just got upgraded with a new booster pack. I bought more calls this time at 850 for Mar '22.

Can you tell I think it's going to pop soon? At least the reasons are solid. Whether there are buyers is another story. I do have a feeling everyone is holding to get back to the high 800's again returning to their most recent buy prices. It's where ARK is I think holding the same 10%. So that's why I picked 850, as I see 900 sometime this year while the factories and 2 new products (at least) come online.