Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mod note: My understanding is that all current Tesla models in the US come with Enhanced Autopilot as standard, therefore the cost to subscribe to FSD is only 99$/month. Much of the discussion here seems to assume 199$/month. Please stop such discussion until/unless this is clarified. I'm in an airport, so can't do it at the moment. --ggr.

Enhanced autopilot ended as a purchasable option in 2019.

It was 5k in cost if I recall correctly. To upgrade from enhance autopilot to fsd, the cost ranged from then until now at 2k to where it sits now at 5k.

Rather than have people not purchase EAP at all and not have the safety benefits of auto steer, Tesla made Basic Autopilot standard and included on all vehicles. Tesla then raised the price of all Tesla’s by approx 3000 to account for the software bundle. The fsd cost then raised by 6000 or so to 10,000 where it sits now to get FSD.

Those with Enhanced autopilot are now a very minority set of owners compared to basic autopilot but Tesla has to account for them because they paid a lot for they EAP feature set (Lange changes, summon, upfront).

My numbers may not be exact but this is the high level summary of what happened between the transition of Tesla changing from enhanced autopilot at a cost to basic autopilot bundled for free.

35K model 3 allowed basic autopilot to be unbundled but that’s another tangent and tiny buyer subset.

True, but... Starlink is already completing at least two contracts with "telco's". Those contracts have been disclosed with 'backhaul' services the openly discussed part. Not openly discussed but also included seems to be arrangements for cellular connections for Tesla vehicles. Elon has discussed '5G support' as part of 'telco' discussions.

@mongo linked this a while back helping me to remember the Elon quotations:

Recent discussions have, I am confident, included Tesla vehicle support as a component of the services, which would be three party contract including backhaul, remote area internet service and cellular data for some Tesla vehicles and stationary storage facilities. No such contract has been disclosed to date, and, depending on the country terms and extent will vary considerably.

In context just consider the telecommunications load generated by Model S infotainment were that to be actively used. Can anyone plausibly suggest that such capabilities can be served well with typical 4G connectivity? There is more than that is there not?

Obviously I cannot offer direct proof of this direction. I only suggest that we all think logically about evolving Tesla vehicle and stationary storage data exchange needs. My sources need not be disclosed if everyone simply thinks logically. Just listening to Elon gives very good clues. Hint: when he mentions '5G' does he also mention what form such a topic might take. Hint #2: He does say in other places that Tesla vehicles will not have Starlink antennas. Hint#3: Elon says it is up to the telco to disclose the agreement.

Mobile Starlink will be for planes, RVs, trucks, and ships.

The whole idea behind the subscription model is the ability to only buy the time when you need it.
The problem with this is that it takes some time to get used to how FSD drives. It doesn't exactly drive like a human. Humans tend to keep their car a certain distance away from objects or vehicles when possible, FSD stays strictly in the centre of the lane, so you are much nearer to cones, big trucks and other roadside obstacles than a human would be. Also if there is a turn lane without a stripe it believes that the lane just got wider and goes a bit into it. The exits are managed pretty well, but left turn laness on a divided highway are not (It's hoped by me that V9 will correct these issues.) If you only have FSD for a month, you'll likely not get used to how it drives. Once you are used to the way it's drives, it great, but there is a familiarization period.

The exits are managed pretty well, but left turn laness on a divided highway are not

The system isn't intended to be used anywhere with 'turn lanes' right now- it's only intended for use on limited access freeways (ie on ramps and off-ramps- no turns or intersections)

That's the functionality FSDBeta (AKA city streets) is intended for instead.

Reactions: Dan Detweiler
It's Sunday after FSD subscriptions have gone out. So, just want to say the following to the Tesla investors:

1626621783203.png

The problem with this is that it takes some time to get used to how FSD drives. It doesn't exactly drive like a human. Humans tend to keep their car a certain distance away from objects or vehicles when possible, FSD stays strictly in the centre of the lane, so you are much nearer to cones, big trucks and other roadside obstacles than a human would be. Also if there is a turn lane without a stripe it believes that the lane just got wider and goes a bit into it. The exits are managed pretty well, but left turn laness on a divided highway are not (It's hoped by me that V9 will correct these issues.) If you only have FSD for a month, you'll likely not get used to how it drives. Once you are used to the way it's drives, it great, but there is a familiarization period.
True, but remember this is not for just the here and now but for down the road as well. When full level 5 autonomy gets here (timeline is debatable for sure) thus won't be an issue.

The worst FSD will ever be is today. It is only going to get better, safer and more reliable.

Dan

Tesla already sells insurance. I assume you mean that they start really pushing it to new and existing buyers. If FSD subscription caused a significant lowering of the monthly premium, that would further incentivize people to get insurance and FSD since FSD price would be subsidized by Tesla insurance.
I already posted this but...
I figure that from both the consumer and producer sides FSD Level 4 and 5 will have to have Tesla Vehicle Insurance. The Insurance and FSD will have very unclear boundaries. A vehicle collision will result in the insurance company going after Tesla to pay the bill. A driver will need to have insurance for times when they are driving, and Tesla will need to insure the vehicle for when FSD is in full control.
Then there are the cases where the driver should have known better than to engage FSD. So who pays?
So and FSD subscription should include Insurance for when FSD is engaged at level 4 and 5. And the company that can write the most accurate policy for that is Tesla. And yet if an owner insists/wants to drive the vehicle he will need to be covered by his own policy. here again, Tesla will know his driving habits and will likely be the cheapest/best insurance plan.
Plans can even be designed and ENFORCED by Tesla to minimize the premium. As an example when level 5 is in place an "Only FSD Plan" can be purchased which will have your car not allow a human driver unless an OTA transaction/payment is completed first. So your "Subscription" is your driver and insurance.
Also Tesla will be able to be the Santa that never was. It will know if you have been naughty or nice through its data retrieval. Every aspect of driving can increase or decrease your "MONTHLY" FSD/Insurance policy subscription. No insurance company will be able to compete.
Heck, your subscription (FSD and Insurance) could be comparable to your current Insurance premium.

The system isn't intended to be used anywhere with 'turn lanes' right now- it's only intended for use on limited access freeways (ie on ramps and off-ramps- no turns or intersections)

That's the functionality FSDBeta (AKA city streets) is intended for instead.
I was referring to freeway exits and limited access highway turn lanes, not city ones. What I'm experiencing isn't everywhere so you may not have experienced it. These are limited access highways with a few left turns. No issues in the right lane in either type of road other than a bit of diving on exits. No issue if the left turn lane has a stripe, but if it doesn't have a stripe, then it tries to go to the centre of both lanes, and goes back to the correct lane rather suddenly when it sees the median. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

True, but remember this is not for just the here and now but for down the road as well. When full level 5 autonomy gets here (timeline is debatable for sure) thus won't be an issue.

The worst FSD will ever be is today. It is only going to get better, safer and more reliable.

Dan
Agreed with that. I'm concerned that some will subscribe for one month, get scared, and never try it again.

• Informative
Reactions: ninpb
Agreed with that. I'm concerned that some will subscribe for one month, get scared, and never try it again.

I don't really think that would be an issue....especially when all functions move over to the Vision/FSD stack and then things like Summon go from a fun play thing to actually usable. Those type of advances in the software will make many who tried it, and didn't like it, a reason to try it again.

And even if that wasn't the case......your concern would only be a material concern if Tesla's sales were stagnant or sales stopped all together. Because then you have a finite amount of users and need to have a high percentage of subscribers. Tesla is just in the start of their growth and so there's constantly more and more potential new subscribers every quarter. There's like around 1.5 million Tesla's out there right now? In 2022 alone, they'll add another 1.5-1.75 million customers.....and by beginning of 2022, I expect FSD to be pretty refined.

Mod note: My understanding is that all current Tesla models in the US come with Enhanced Autopilot as standard, therefore the cost to subscribe to FSD is only 99$/month. Much of the discussion here seems to assume 199$/month. Please stop such discussion until/unless this is clarified. I'm in an airport, so can't do it at the moment. --ggr.
Screenshot_20210718-084938_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210718-085014_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210717-200831_YouTube.jpg

Basic Autopilot is standard on all teslas currently being sold. This can be found on teslas website by going to custom order and clicking on feature details. you have to swipe right to browse all of the features.