Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4680 battery field quality and yield at viable level

Pg.8
“Battery and Powertrain
We have successfully validated performance and lifetime of our 4680 cells produced at our Kato facility in California. We are nearing the end of manufacturing validation at Kato: field quality and yield are at viable levels and our focus is now on improving the 10% of manufacturing processes that currently bottleneck production output. While substantial progress has been made, we still have work ahead of us before we can achieve volume production. Internal crash testing of our structural pack architecture with a single-piece front casting has been successful.”

The huge improvement in Margins and the tremendous Free Cash Flow generated in Q2 now causes every analyst to re-do Q3, Q4 and 2022, 2023, etc. in turn increasing valuations
We should see new increased Price Targets from wall street.

All while performing enough CAPEX to increase revenues by 50%+ per year and pay off debt!

The major ICE OEMs are flippin dooooooooooooommmed....
🤣

Skimmed the report. As expected. Confirmed expecting to make Y from both Berlin and Austin this year, which sounds good. Margins ex credits a bit better than we thought, credits a bit lower. Credit might just be moved to next quater, if so that is bullish. I guess the short thesis takes even more mental gymnastics to defend, but don’t worry, they are really good at it!
Short thesis: "They've cooked the books, this is the new Theranos, Zach is going to prison for sure but Elon will make it because of SpaceX! And remember, kids: this is FRAWD!"

What would constitute "industry leading profit margins"?

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 1.36.12 PM.png

Talk about buying being able to buy LEAPs without fear if we open tomorrow at these levels. What a gift!

My short term account has been THRASHED this year after a spectacular result from last year. My long term accounts are holding steady and looking TERRIFIC, IMO.

Sounds like 4680s are going to be on the table come early next year and ramped by the end of next year. Anecdotally, all I hear is that people want these cars, and I see nothing in the actual data that does not indicate my anecdotal evidence is on the money. We are looking at aggressive ramping for years from here.

I want to know when the next Gigafactory will be announced. End of year? If Berlin and Austin start producing by then, I think the labor will be available for the next project.

Talk about buying being able to buy LEAPs without fear if we open tomorrow at these levels. What a gift!

My short term account has been THRASHED this year after a spectacular result from last year. My long term accounts are holding steady and looking TERRIFIC, IMO.

Sounds like 4680s are going to be on the table come early next year and ramped by the end of next year. Anecdotally, all I hear is that people want these cars, and I see nothing in the actual data that does not indicate my anecdotal evidence is on the money. We are looking at aggressive ramping for years from here.

I want to know when the next Gigafactory will be announced. End of year? If Berlin and Austin start producing by then, I think the labor will be available for the next project.

Yeah if we don't open above 700 tomorrow, I'm going to be converting some stock into LEAPS.

I think the best news is regarding 4680s. If there was even a hint of a problem here, the statement about 4680s would have more wiggle room. It reads like "we can mass produce these now...we just want to make sure we can mega-mass produce them".
TBH I am surprised (happily) that the margins are as good as they are. I thought the current inflationary pressures regarding raw materials would have squeezed tesla much more.

I still think Q3 is where the real action is. Wall street needs to see robots working on cars and production lines actually doing something in Berlin and Texas (even just some test runs), before it will really hit them how big a jump in automotive production is coming.
Plus Q3 will be where the latest FSD build, and the subscription revenue, and the new model S (and hopefully X?) starts to be seen on the bottom line.

TL;DR: These results are really good, but I think Q3 is going to be hilariously good.

Pity about official delay to semi though. The world needs to convert trucking to BEVs ASAP.

Q3 is always the monster quarter. This one won't be an exception I suspect.
Every single datum I’m seeing is magnificent, and that even includes my bête noir, the Big Tuchis Cluster.
Isn’t a $23MM impairment charge far lower than the lowest expected?
I think most were expecting something like 90 million. Just gravy that BTC is back above the buy in now so there are some more paper profits on the books again. (not officially but you know)

I think the best news is regarding 4680s. If there was even a hint of a problem here, the statement about 4680s would have more wiggle room. It reads like "we can mass produce these now...we just want to make sure we can mega-mass produce them".
TBH I am surprised (happily) that the margins are as good as they are. I thought the current inflationary pressures regarding raw materials would have squeezed tesla much more.

I still think Q3 is where the real action is. Wall street needs to see robots working on cars and production lines actually doing something in Berlin and Texas (even just some test runs), before it will really hit them how big a jump in automotive production is coming.
Plus Q3 will be where the latest FSD build, and the subscription revenue, and the new model S (and hopefully X?) starts to be seen on the bottom line.

TL;DR: These results are really good, but I think Q3 is going to be hilariously good.

Pity about official delay to semi though. The world needs to convert trucking to BEVs ASAP.

My hunch about the price increases NOT being entirely raw material driven makes me only more excited for Q3 and Q4 considering the additional price increases we've seen in the past 2-3 months, which won't show up until the Q3 and Q4 earnings.

The huge improvement in Margins and the tremendous Free Cash Flow generated in Q2 now causes every analyst to re-do Q3, Q4 and 2022, 2023, etc. in turn increasing valuations
We should see new increased Price Targets from wall street.
You think they’re all going to be doing an Accountant avatar. 🤣 I assure you they will not. Q2 will be deemed a ‘one off’. 😉 Goalposts will be moved. There’s definitely a busted growth story or six in there. Wait for it.

I hope Tesla switches back to the old lady who did the ER intros with the high pitched voice.
I also hope Elon is on point for this ER. Last time it was semi-cringe.
We still waiting for the stream link to be uploaded to the site or does someone have?

Lol CNBC just covered Tesla's amazing beat......gave it all of 10 seconds and glossed over everything like it was a nothing-burger
Lora Kolodny was on and she was visibly shaken by how good the earnings report was. Even admitted that competitors EV sales eating into ICE sales not Tesla sales. She did try to say that the lower credits could be of concern. Yeah the same credits they love to use to downplay Tesla earnings.