Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let them have their pro union meeting in Washington. The execs and the Biden administration have no idea of the disruption in energy that is coming this decade at many levels. They think this is just a matter of a simple transition ICE to BEV.
Don’t underestimate the power of the US government to F#€< up an industry….

I typed ”Pfizer” as shorthand for Pfizer/BioNTech, and Pfizer took money late in the process after initial production was already underway in order to expedite delivery of inputs caught in bottlenecks, so I largely agree with your explanation. As you probably know, the mRNA work has been going on for a decade or so, including DARPA (which is a large part of the reason why the commercial vaccine was developed so quickly). Pfizer also did the US clinical trial management (with CROs, universities, etc.) as well as production and distribution, since BioNTech has little or no US presence.
BioNTech is largely a Turkish couple and a Hungarian woman, with the technology developed mostly by the two women. All three are naturalized Germans, so BioNTech is a German company. They have no production facilities of significance.

mRNA has so much promise in so many ways that it is astonishing how quickly they had COVID-19 release candidates, literally within a few weeks.
They'll have some astonishing developments for multiple cancers and even some neurological diseases, if current devlopmensts proceed.

With those developments I fully expect the Tesla production innovations will be deployed and will enable localized production while minimizing storage and transportation problems. It could be revolutionary.

MOD:
Far too much this morning in the way of posters wanting to get their particular political digs in; not controlling their tempers and writing garbage, and so on.

===>If you can’t behave like adults here, why should Moderators give serious thought to re-creating ANY kind of “Politics” thread?<====
Well, this is a tough line to enforce indeed - however NOT viewing the weird Biden invitation in the larger context of the US government policy is like another elephant in the room type of attitude. I believe it is useful for our TMC membership to know/ remember the global (political) environment in which Tesla lives.

Stating the fact that a communist regime, the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) helped/ helps Tesla monumentally* while our own "pro capitalist" government has done/ still is doing all it can to slow down/ bankrupt Tesla is a FACT. That our financial system is dysfunctional is also not politically biased, it is a fact that Elon also mentioned in his last BWord conference, maybe in more polite terms. Re my further(deleted) notes, Elon also did state that " .. government is a corporation in the limit, it’s the biggest corporation of all and it has a monopoly on violence”

I am annoyed at having wasted my time on my now deleted post elaborating these points for those who are not familiar with them. And showing how Elon masterfully plays in this minefield, winning points even against the stacked, SEC backed FUDsters. I do understand how some would not tolerate any non conforming discussion (non conforming: irritating from the point of view to their own political opinion) - and so the trouble mods can have keeping a discussion civil.

Learning/progress does come about from new insights, learning from mistakes - often contradicting previously held beliefs. I have had my shares of revelations, for sure. Elon, since this is a TMC forum, am sure said something to that effect. If you're not making mistakes you're not progressing..

My deleted post was mostly suggesting we start a thread to see what more forceful things we could do rather than just vent here (like I did above) our frustrations - and for example funding what we know are "good" sources to combat the FUD, given that Tesla cannot fund any PR (they would immediately be misquoted and so on). Refraining here from mentioning any of the ones I thought very reasonable, not wanting to incur the wrath of some mods.

Maybe the mods can also come up with a recommended list of resources/ blogs/ YouTube channels / TMC threads /best publicly available documents, more encompassing than the "Moderators' Choice: Posts of Particular Merit " here. Centered on Tesla especially from an investor's viewpoint. Like for instance the hugely informative and insightful analysis of shorts in the case of Solar City by our TMC @jesselivenomore

So how about a way to submit possibly controversial posts for review BEFORE they are submitted? - I might have removed possibly trouble causing statements while still posting what I think is useful information

(*) still does as Tesla Shanghai is Tesla's economic fortress/ ally/ cash cow and juggernaut car producer.

Last edited:
Well, Musk is an icon. If present, he would be asked questions and the media headlines would be talking about what Musk said and less about the biden and the plan.
We on earth will benefit by Biden accelerating the slow pokes, as TSLA investors because the expanded charger network and for those fortunate to drive a Tesla, the same.
Valid. If this EO really includes plug-in hybrids for 2030, it’s really not an event to have Elon at, honestly. Unfortunately for the Biden administration, Tesla and Elon have significant social media/ influencer following that will still see this as the snub that it is and post and judge accordingly. I hope the cash infusion from this good ol’ boy’s club is worth the negative (not)press that results…

Reactions: UkNorthampton
President Biden,

I am writing in reference to upcoming White House event related to new limits on greenhouse gas auto emissions and new electric vehicle sales targets; specifically I’m writing to express my concerns that Tesla Motors was not included.

I believe it is important that I make the following disclosures: I am a retired member of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, and a fervent follower of the Association for Union Democracy. I am a third generation union member, but more than this, I am an American, I believe in the sanctity of elections.

If free elections and self-determination are the thunderclap of democracy, innovation and ingenuity are the lightning bolts of American character. As a union member I believe in the value of good living wages, I believe in fair elections, I believe in the right to self-determination. Americans ought to have the right to join labor unions; and the right to choose not to.

I am convinced that Tesla Motors was excluded from this event, because they were not part of the United Auto Worker’s political coalition.

I am afraid sir that you have left out the lightning. I hope that you can find a way to embrace good old fashioned American ingenuity.

Indeed President Biden, climate change mandates that we bring our best and brightest to the fight.

Best regards,

Jack Leonard
Here's what I wrote to the White House:

Why were no executives from the American electric carmaker Tesla invited to your electric vehicle event today? It’s by far the world’s largest maker of electric vehicles. Its goal is to convert the world to sustainable energy and disrupt climate change.

Are you punishing Tesla because its workers are so pleased with the company that they have chosen not to unionize? If so, that is unconscionable and nonsensical politicization of the event. At the very least during the event, give a hearty thank you to Tesla for getting the ball rolling on the road to electric vehicles.

CNBC article on Buttigieg -
Gee, I wonder if the money spent on automotive lobbying, $62,261,225 in 2020, had anything to do with this. 🤨

Of which:

In first place, GM: $8,270,000 (at least they’re in the lead at something, right?)

Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, Global Automakers Alliance for Automotive Innovation 🤥: $4,685,019

National Auto Dealers Association: $4,078,000

Ford: $3,178,210

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, now Stellantis: $2,890,000

and, not to forget that laggard:

Tesla: $400,000

What was that old saw? Something like "The best government money can buy." 😕

Has there been an event like AI Day which wasn't on ir.tesla.com?
Interesting that it isn't on the ir page yet, even 2 days after the invitations were sent out.

The event isn't designed for investors, so I could see why Tesla doesn't post anything related to it there. They'll undoubtedly have a livestream on the Tesla YouTube channel for the event. Battery Day was combined with the annual shareholder meeting so was covered on ir.tesla.com.

Last edited:
Has there been an event like AI Day which wasn't on ir.tesla.com?
Interesting that it isn't on the ir page yet, even 2 days after the invitations were sent out.
Probably because it's not an event for investors. It's for recruiting.

Repeat, not an event for investors.

Repeat, not an event for investors.

We probably should make a huge stink about it right now.
I'm circling back to this answer. Hopefully there are enough woke people out there who also vote to make a difference this time, but history paints a darker picture.

Lead was knowingly used in water pipes for decades past the point in time when folks recognized the serious health consequences. Basically, lead made it easy to bend pipes by hand during installation (because it's a very soft alloy that also melts easier for quick pipe soldering), that's all. To abandon lead pipes meant a lot more work for plumbers, higher costs for builders, lost market for lead suppliers, lawsuits, and safety labels everywhere. It was disastrous news for that entire industry. Outlawed, yet still used for decades in many parts of the midwest. I'm pretty sure I drank some lead up in Canada as a child, and pretty sure it's still happening today.

My whole life I've heard how farming and oil are subsidized by our gov't. I don't understand it fully as maybe it serves to balance global trade, IDK. However, I'm afraid that's where we could be headed with Auto. Sadly, all those people getting their Toyota Hybrids are going to be hurt even harder with parts, repairs, fuel cost. Once again, the lower class foots the bill (drinks more lead).

Change is good... and change is bad - all depends where you stand. Although EV momentum grows, it's not even on the radar for a lot of the voting population and won't be for several years. Maybe Tesla should consider a Transition Day to just lay out the facts with a sincere concern about the struggling markets and how to solve it - present a migration plan. Less about climate change, more about the problem at hand to those financially impacted. Nothing wrong with a good presentation or Ted Talk. (But let's not spend the next 2 pages talking about advertising or not).

Maybe Tesla can push back on power with a threat to go it alone... as in no shared Supercharger tech for USA, but Canada and others are cool. (Face it, I don't think the others know how to even do charging if they tried... and for all the reasons Elon spelled out in his recent SpaceX tour.) Here's another stick... threaten to take manufacturing outside the US (expand China Exports to US to fill future demand, or build a new factory up in Canada or Mexico instead). Image the pricing pressure if a Factory was built Mexico (like the other car companies). Hopefully Tesla is fighting back in Washington using a stealthy Tai Chi approach, and not simply observing without some action.

Stating the fact that a communist regime, the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) helped/ helps Tesla monumentally* while our own "pro capitalist" government has done/ still is doing all it can to slow down/ bankrupt Tesla is a FACT. That our financial system is dysfunctional is also not politically biased, it is a fact that Elon also mentioned in his last BWord conference, maybe in more polite terms. Re my further(deleted) notes, Elon also did state that " .. government is a corporation in the limit, it’s the biggest corporation of all and it has a monopoly on violence”

I am annoyed at having wasted my time on my now deleted post elaborating these points for those who are not familiar with them….
Stating that something is a FACT by way of capitalizing that word does not make it a fact. It certainly cements your post as being a poster-child for why political discussion turns toxic in TMC.

And your post was summarily deleted because you took another’s words and edited them by replacing them with a potty-mouthed epithet. That suffices for having the rest of what you wrote, irrespective of any merits, be erased. Moderators have let all members know many, many times that profanity is not tolerated.

Gee, I wonder if the money spent on automotive lobbying, $62,261,225 in 2020, had anything to do with this. 🤨

Of which:

In first place, GM: $8,270,000 (at least they’re in the lead at something, right?)

Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, Global Automakers Alliance for Automotive Innovation 🤥: $4,685,019

National Auto Dealers Association: $4,078,000

Ford: $3,178,210

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, now Stellantis: $2,890,000

and, not to forget that laggard:

Tesla: $400,000

What was that old saw? Something like "The best government money can buy." 😕
For Buttiegieg to say "I have not seen that tweet" had to be a total lie. It's a standard politician response. "I haven't seen the allegations" / "I haven't read the report" etc. etc.

He's Secretary of the U.S Department Of Transport. He has a bunch of people working for him. Elon's tweet, to 58,800,000 followers, was probably 5-6hrs old when Buttigieg was asked that question. Does Buttigieg really expect us to believe that he went into a TV interview about a Biden electric vehicle event and none of his team had made sure he knew about the tweet? That he had to be informed of it by Andrew Ross Sorkin on live TV? That he didn't already have a prepared response explaining why the world-famous, largest & leading manufacturer (by a wide margin) of electric vehicles - who happen to be American - was nowhere to be found during this event... not even by mention?

It's either gross incompetence of the caliber we got used to during the former administration, or deliberate.

Since the entire world knows about Tesla, it's one of the biggest brands these days... their complete absence from this event will just make it look silly and/or corrupt. Their application for Egg-On-Face has been submitted.

Hopefully this question will be raised at a White House press conference.

In response to Secretary Pete:

1628186138752.png