Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was surprised ARK sold again yesterday. This seems personal. Meanwhile, just bought 10 Chairs this AM.

View attachment 692940
I think they're just following their fund's rules. It's not like Cathie's sitting in the corner twiddling her fingers saying "now is the time to sell, the Tesla story is dead." They're just trimming as Tesla rises per their rules.

The issue I have with the position taken by Biden is that union jobs are the only "good jobs". Tesla is the undisputed world leader in the EV space and have created a lot of "good jobs". Not including them was a mistake given what they have accomplished in the EV space.

Tesla should be the pride of this country both from the left and right political circles.

I also felt that way - thinking it out further, thanks to the many useful posts/ feedback here., I've also come to see this as part of the necessary political realities: Biden has to get the votes in states that count for his party, as the Midwest which is heavily unionized. That what the event was about.

It is realpolitik . Note, winners may not even know /do what is best once they win - in the business world GE's Walsh was touted as a genius, well OK he did bring in great returns, until GE became so profit oriented they lost/ sold their engineering prowess (to the Chinese) and became a shell of what they once were. Profit/ money is not all that counts.

Elon and his team are aware of all of this dynamic. Securing China's support was masterful. On Tesla/ SpaceX side is technical prowess and production power/ efficiency like nothing we have ever seen before.

The 21st century global fights are no longer about securing a cheap oil supply for the US, maintaining the USD hegemony is no longer a given. Blockchain tech is threatening all of the world currencies, banking systems, and so all have to adapt. Space, cyber wars are the new hot areas. Russia, China and the Arab world all have their agendas/ strategies.

So I would say the trend is all for Tesla/ SpaceX, our leaders know this.

How this is playing out is real time entertainment of the first order - sit back, enjoy the show - and i would say, do what you can to help those less fortunate*

[*OT] I was blown away noticing just recently what Twitter's Jack Dorsey** has done (**) Elon and Jack are on friendly terms, quick PS for newcomers.

TSLA.Jack.Dorsey.jpg

Last edited:
Was surprised ARK sold again yesterday. This seems personal.

How does it "seem personal"? TSLA is up and they have identified other opportunities to move some of their TSLA profits to. And even after the recent sales the funds are still above the 10% threshold that doesn't allow them to buy more TSLA:
  • ARKK: 10.19%
  • ARKQ: 12.03%
  • ARKW: 10.37%

What would stop them from selling a car that isn't even on the production line yet? The car would not be physically in Texas. Hell, it's not physically anywhere at the time. Just allocate a separate set of VINs for Texas sales and then produce a batch of Texas cars with that set of VINs. This would obviously screw with their current batch process of like builds but if the demand in Texas is large enough they might be able to accommodate both (only Texas and like builds). There would be a higher cost from smaller batches but maybe that would be less than taking a finished car for a joy ride to Louisiana. At the very least they should be able to do this with Cybertrucks where you can get them in any color you like as long as it's SS.

Might not even be that complicated: Feb 23, 2021

New roof is complete. 8.8kwh solar system + 1 power wall incoming. Pending city permits and HOA approvals, but I'm not expecting any problems. I wouldn't mind more battery but my installer only has one in stock and it's months out to get any new ones. My local grid is among the most stable in the nation so I think I can make do.

Also, my ex looks to be moving forward with the Y. I was surprised to hear that she was wanted FSD. Bullish.

Y aren't you Taycan your ex out in an X?

Just watched a news segment with an interview with a dealership sales rep, he was super happy about selling the electric F-150 and getting rid of the ICE vehicles.

Some thoughts:
1. Everyone could easily move to be on the same boat now rather than fighting it or worrying about their jobs/lives/families
2. Government support of the EV push likely will indirectly benefit the level of crap Tesla has to take in the US and other areas
3. Tesla sells parts and designs to the entire ecosystem as an integrator play alongside selling their own products

The checkmate is in to transition to sustainable EV's! Some of these things some of us have known for awhile and were hoping it'd play out this way.

Was surprised ARK sold again yesterday. This seems personal. Meanwhile, just bought 10 Chairs this AM.
Even I've sold some shares recently, some of the ones I rage bought on the drop along the way. My rule is the inverse of ARK, when TSLA starts making up more than 90% of my portfolio I sell some. Though it's not really a strict rule, more of a suggestion.

This was already debunked last time we went over this.

That's not how FTZs work, nor even the point of them.

FTZs are about avoiding duties/taxes on importing/rexporting goods. The use for Tesla is that normally you have to pay duties and taxes for all imported raw materials and semi-finished goods- then if you send off the finished product outside the US you can apply for refunds, which take a long time.

If you have a FTZ, those initial duties and taxes apply only once you sell your finished product on U.S. soil, whatever you instead export is exempt from duties/taxes, hence no need to apply for a refund on those.

So exported cars from Austin would avoid this "pay taxes then ask for refunds" issue. Cars sold on US soil would just pay them normally when sold.
But note the SALE MUST STILL BE ON US SOIL. Which would be in Texas if they don't move the car out of state first. Where Tesla can't legally sell vehicles.

On top of that- If Tesla DID want to use an FTZ to pretend a Cybertruck was actually "made" outside the US (even though FTZs are still US soil and part of the state they're in) and is being "imported" via the zone- that'd be worse

Foreign trucks are subject to a 25% customs duty.

How does it "seem personal"? TSLA is up and they have identified other opportunities to move some of their TSLA profits to. And even after the recent sales the funds are still above the 10% threshold that doesn't allow them to buy more TSLA:
  • ARKK: 10.19%
  • ARKQ: 12.03%
  • ARKW: 10.37%

There is no such 10% threshold.

They have more than 10% of a fund in a number of companies.

There used to be 20 or 30 percent thresholds in certain ARK funds but even those no longer exist.

Paltry volume today, again. Maybe we have to wait until later in the summer for volume to come back.
I think we will be waiting until almost all of the following take place:
close to full ramp of Berlin
close to full ramp of Austin
announcement of the $25k model in China
full 100% complete and approved FSD
without achieving these, progress continues to move along at a pace that is "priced in" to the stock and won't drive additional volume.

Or they could just split the stock again, that would do the trick.

I didn't think we were up really. I guess we can call 700+ up. :rolleyes:
More thoughts... TSLA was up the last 5 days. Why didn't ARK sell earlier, at the higher price? The delayed ARK Selling tells me they saw something coming, which may simply be the realization that it's done running up. I don't think it's automatic, someone picks a day, time, and amount right?

Anyway, seems like a good time to buy now. See if they follow me. :p

1628262439464.png