Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect Carolla-sized.

I can't wait for the Model 2 Performance... That's going to be a fun car. The kids are going to love it.
FWIW, the 'Hot Hatch' aka: 'Pocket Rocket' market:
Despite my experience being a couple decades ago, and longer, I do still have some of the data from one such manufacturer. That shows that the low-end models in this class tended to absorb overhead, so sold above marginal production cost so did contribute scale economies. The 'hot hatch' category contributed nearly all the profits despite being 10-15% of the line volume. Some such as the famous Ford Focus RS even was sold in the US:

Tesla will absolutely dominate in this class, it is the Tesla 'sweet spot' and generates outsized Gross Margins in each case. Tesla Performance, Model 3 and Model Y are virtually identical to their 'slow' companions, although the new Model S Plaid is obviously much different in some respects.
In the category few go all out like the Focus RS, but that model did sell tons of lesser Focus. Similarly in ancient days the VW GTI, Fiat Bravo Turbo i.e. and Peugeot 205 GTI generated positive vibes, great margins and significant halos. Later Honda, Toyota and others have had large success in the category.

We mostly have ignored this class because Tesla was not in it. Both the China and Germany designs will certainly disrupt the entire category. Relatively small ultra high performance attracts wealthy older people too. The best in this class are quite spectacular.

Now think about a near-plaid-level smallish hatch. It will come soon, and I want one!

disclosure: I have owned a fair number of these, as well as a few of the larger brethren, the really expensive ones. The little ones are much more fun, generally less ostentatious and usually reliable and easy to maintain.

The economics make these irresistible for Tesla, just as other Performance models have been and are.

There is no such 10% threshold.

Yes, there is. But it isn't a rule as part of the ETF:

They have more than 10% of a fund in a number of companies.

Yeah, 2 other companies from what I can see. But again, no rule for holding past 10%.

There used to be 20 or 30 percent thresholds in certain ARK funds but even those no longer exist.
The threshold is that they can't buy once it is over 10%. Not that they can't hold and let it appreciate beyond 10%.

Last edited:
Just bought 2 shares to prop the stock up for my expiring put positions. Am I doing this right?
I got the notice from TD... I pulled a David Lee and just let it go to 0 to see what happens.
But I tell ya, the $6 sale near the end was sure tempting!

1628263764021.png

For sure. Not to mention, anyone who received their car in a timely fashion isn't going to be wasting their time prowling a delivery thread. But there are definitely a BUNCH of September 2020 (battery day) orders like me who are still waiting, and receiving total radio silence from Tesla.

I think you might have made it into Elon's "little black book".

I'm not entirely joking, this is compatible with first principles thinking. I don't believe, and I think Elon is with me here, that all customers are equal and that they are always right. Some are better for the company than others, that's just a fact.

I don't know that Tesla prioritizes based upon customer history but it would surprise me if they let all that good data go to waste! I know some might find this a controversial concept, but I think it's like scratching your balls during a lecture - it's only a problem if you get caught. And it sure does feel good to scratch that itch. 😉

Just blocked bunch of people here. If it's not immediately actionable investment content, it does not belong here. Especially the back'n'forth without end.

THIS IS NOT A POLITICS THREAD. TAKE IT TO FACEBOOK.

Further be aware, those who chose to reply to politics troll-bait comments will be blocked along with the originating commenter.

#MODS
Please, please no 'actionable' comments. Those would be inside information, privileged content, unauthorized disclosure of proprietary information and similar things. Such things are a violation of TMC policy, at a minimum.

If you mean 'useful' please use that word. I know some people use 'actionable' to mean something different, but the first definition is always legal.

actionable​

adj. when enough facts or circumstances exist to meet the legal requirements to file a legitimate lawsuit. If the factsrequired to prove a case cannot be alleged in the complaint, the case is not "actionable" and the client and hisattorney should not file a suit. Of course, whether many cases are actionable is a matter of judgment andinterpretation of the facts and/or law, resulting in many lawsuits that clog the courts. Incidentally, if a case is filedwhich is clearly not actionable, it may result in a lawsuit against the filer of the original suit for malicious prosecutionby the defendant after he/she has won the original suit. (See: cause of action, malicious prosecution, lawsuit)

Copyright © 1981-2005 by Gerald N. Hill and Kathleen T. Hill. All Right reserved.

More thoughts... TSLA was up the last 5 days. Why didn't ARK sell earlier, at the higher price? The delayed ARK Selling tells me they saw something coming, which may simply be the realization that it's done running up. I don't think it's automatic, someone picks a day, time, and amount right?

Anyway, seems like a good time to buy now. See if they follow me. :p

View attachment 692969

Ark is a fantastically run fund.....but let's not kid ourselves, they're not prophets. In fact, quite the opposite. Ark has sold some shares at very inopportune times where the stock broke out shortly after they did sell. Many instances of this throughout 2019 and 2020. In fact, it's crazy now to think Ark was willing to sell ANY shares in 2019. They were even doing it in Q3 2019....right before the mega rally started. They sold shares in Q3 and Q4 2019 right before the stock 10X'd.........you can't get any worse timing than that.

Yes Ark does a much better job if jumping in and out of the stock than a regular fund does, but they've been caught with their pants down so to say. The facts are if Ark has just held on to their shares, especially in 2019, and not sold anything over the past 2 years, their returns would have been much better. But that would violate the terms of their fund, simple as that.

Last edited:
Yes, there is. But it isn't a rule as part of the ETF:

The threshold is that they can't buy once it is over 10%. Not that they can't hold and let it appreciate beyond 10%.
It's incredible how the name Cathie Wood now draws clicks just as Tesla long has. So news sites have now regularly been reporting any sales of Tesla by Wood's ARK ETFs. Many TMC members, Tesla shareholders, and ARK shareholders have long understood Cathie's ETF philosophy. As a prudent fund manager, she daily rebalances to take slight profits from high flyers, even if high conviction stocks, for cash with which to buy others that are dipping. Her rule is to not buy more shares of a company that comprises more than 10% of a fund. She might allow a stock to run a little higher than 10%, but 12% to 13% appears to be her de-facto limit. In her personal account, she says she remains more heavily in Tesla through shares or options. But she feels fund owners demand the safety of diversity, therefore she regularly rebalances. Investors who especially like Tesla but also want some of the diversity of a fund, can buy both the fund and some extra Tesla. She seems to do this personally, and I assume expects others who think similarly to do the same.

Last edited:
FWIW, the 'Hot Hatch' aka: 'Pocket Rocket' market:
Despite my experience being a couple decades ago, and longer, I do still have some of the data from one such manufacturer. That shows that the low-end models in this class tended to absorb overhead, so sold above marginal production cost so did contribute scale economies. The 'hot hatch' category contributed nearly all the profits despite being 10-15% of the line volume. Some such as the famous Ford Focus RS even was sold in the US:

Tesla will absolutely dominate in this class, it is the Tesla 'sweet spot' and generates outsized Gross Margins in each case. Tesla Performance, Model 3 and Model Y are virtually identical to their 'slow' companions, although the new Model S Plaid is obviously much different in some respects.
In the category few go all out like the Focus RS, but that model did sell tons of lesser Focus. Similarly in ancient days the VW GTI, Fiat Bravo Turbo i.e. and Peugeot 205 GTI generated positive vibes, great margins and significant halos. Later Honda, Toyota and others have had large success in the category.

We mostly have ignored this class because Tesla was not in it. Both the China and Germany designs will certainly disrupt the entire category. Relatively small ultra high performance attracts wealthy older people too. The best in this class are quite spectacular.

Now think about a near-plaid-level smallish hatch. It will come soon, and I want one!

disclosure: I have owned a fair number of these, as well as a few of the larger brethren, the really expensive ones. The little ones are much more fun, generally less ostentatious and usually reliable and easy to maintain.

The economics make these irresistible for Tesla, just as other Performance models have been and are.
But What the blazes are we going to call the EV equivalent of a rice burner….and will they be just as annoying?

Reactions: AquaY