Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you’re spot-on. Many strategies exist to ensure Q4 deliveries don’t collapse. I think some of the price hikes have been in preparation.

EOY will be an interesting time for Model Y buyers. FSD valuation may be in flux, Austin/4680 status, etc.

I've always thought the incremental price increasse this year have been all about preparation for the tax credit. I get why some think it's about cost of goods going up, but I never really bought into that. On Q2 earnings, we got confirmation that the cost of materials is not going up significantly, definitely not enough to justify the multiple price increases....and a lot of material costs spike in Q1/Q2 and have been going lower since.

Sure, sure, the 2021Q3 N. American Superchargers location map is impressive in scale and coverage:

View attachment 693028

But I wonder if folks have truly grokked just the planned ADDITIONS to the SuC network: (color math adjusted image attached)

View attachment 693030
Contrast that with Herbert Diess’s recent experience with Ionity:

"So I kept driving to Trento,” Diess posted on LinkedIn, before describing the Ionity charging point he found in the north Italian city. “No bathroom, no coffee, an out-of-service/broken charging point, a sad state of affairs. It was anything but a premium charging experience, IONITY!”

VW CEO Blasts EV Charging Venture’s Station After Italy Trip

Thanks for the info. So it's basically a marshmallow test and investors fail it when interest rates increase a little bit.
I think that the better way to think about it is that different investors have different investment criteria, and different levels of information.

There is a universe of investors that make their choices driven by financial metrics, and the inflation / treasury yield information contributes heavily in their thinking. They don't invest the amount of time and energy as we do here, learning about this one company (and in many case - any company; the financials tells them everything worth knowning). Thus choices they make look confusing / bad to us. Similarly, the choices we're making look insane / risky to them.

As a result of these differences in approach to investing, I believe that I have a significant information advantage over most investors and Wall Street, in regards to this one company. There isn't a single other company that I invest energy into understanding - not at this level anyway - and thus for me, there isn't a single other company that I invest in. I'm probably an insane risk taker, and yet the only alternative investment I've identified for myself is one of the ARK funds with a focus on biotech or something along those lines. Everything else I ever think about looks like trading a great investment I like being in, for a downgrade.

A dollar received today is considered to be of greater value than a dollar for which one has to wait. If interest rates and/or inflation rises, then having to wait for that dollar becomes more costly. For high growth stocks, the current value of the expected cash flow well into the future is heavily influenced by interest rate and inflation outlooks. This is not nearly as much of a consideration in the current pricing of low growth stocks.
I think the bond market is just being spastic and will continue to trend lower as the pandemic is not under control which means the fed are less willing to raise rates today than say a month ago. Job reports are laggy like covid deaths so it's very short term dump of bonds.

Reactions: capster
An actual honest article about Tesla from Marketwatch!

CNBC are also unusually positive (or defensive) about Tesla on this issue.

Digging a bit deeper, the wealthy/ruing class types are the ones CNBC truly reports to. Union expansions are the antithesis of their M.O.. Therefore CNBC and other business-centric sites will defend Tesla. If unions are not part of the day's discussion, it's anti-Tesla business-as-usual.

It's another sign of the ascent up the ladder for Tesla. We have measured it many ways over the years. Using the "first they ignore you, then they laugh at you etc." parable. Then looking at S&P500 inclusion. There have been other benchmarks achieved and passed. Now Tesla reaches the heady heights of "regular discussion by the U.S. Government." Sure, it was only Jen Psaki saying the word "Tesla" once yesterday, but as time moves on, we will see the company get referenced more and more at the top levels - as their overall market share increases and everyone realises they're a credit to American manufacturing, not a problem. We should be happy that it's not the U.S. DOJ wanting to talk about monopolies, or data/privacy stuff. But Tesla's opponents will try every trick in the book to slow them down, so expect more government contact.

I think you might have made it into Elon's "little black book".

I'm not entirely joking, this is compatible with first principles thinking. I don't believe, and I think Elon is with me here, that all customers are equal and that they are always right. Some are better for the company than others, that's just a fact.

I don't know that Tesla prioritizes based upon customer history but it would surprise me if they let all that good data go to waste! I know some might find this a controversial concept, but I think it's like scratching your balls during a lecture - it's only a problem if you get caught. And it sure does feel good to scratch that itch. 😉

you're straight up delusional if you think Elon Musk has any friggin idea who you or i are, or cares what we say on the internet.

(besides i'm one of the biggest Tesla homers in the world -- i merely don't think the man is a literal infallible god like you do)

Last edited:
I've always thought the incremental price increasse this year have been all about preparation for the tax credit. I get why some think it's about cost of goods going up, but I never really bought into that. On Q2 earnings, we got confirmation that the cost of materials is not going up significantly, definitely not enough to justify the multiple price increases....and a lot of material costs spike in Q1/Q2 and have been going lower since.
That was my impression but even then we are still seeing delivery times steadily increase. I don't know how anyone can see prices increasing and lead times increasing and not see that as amazing news.

That was my impression but even then we are still seeing delivery times steadily increase. I don't know how anyone can see prices increasing and lead times increasing and not see that as amazing news.
All because of the ER call making a bigger deal out of chip and part shortages as seemed. If those two things doesn't exist then yes the stock would be mooning right now.

Reactions: Nocturnal

Yeah it's actually a pretty amazing thing to me that despite raising the prices of the 3/Y about $4,000 throughout the year, the amount of demand outpacing production is actually increasing. Even if we just assume Fremont stays at it's current production rate for Q3/Q4 which is a very safe bet, that means US demand is progressively outpacing the Fremont quarterly production rate of about 105k 3/Y's, and by quite a lot.

Also keep in mind, ALL Fremont production is going to US markets now in Q3 instead of the first month's production being exported like in Q2.....and despite this, we're still seeing longer estimated delivery times for new orders. Pretty incredible demand

Not much of an update since Tesla said that the rate was currently greater than 450k:

1628272954912.png

Sure, sure, the 2021Q3 N. American Superchargers location map is impressive in scale and coverage:

View attachment 693028

But I wonder if folks have truly grokked just the planned ADDITIONS to the SuC network: (color math adjusted image attached)

View attachment 693030

I'm thinking a trip down to old Mexico may be in order for 2022 (until then there's the 83 new L3 stations being added by BC Hydro in Fall '21). It's nothing less than an auto travel rEVolution! :D

Cheers!
Not to mention the Destination Chargers. The whole of Baja California is easily driven by using the Destination Charger network, even with zero Superchargers.

Last edited by a moderator: