Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re extended and expanded BEV federal tax credit: We were just in Washington DC over the weekend, enjoying a retirement party for a college roommate. Many of the attendees are or were upper-middle management at a variety of federal government agencies, and are mostly Dems/progressives and well-informed observers of federal politics. There was great concern about the prospects for both infrastructure bills — suspicion is the House will have to add elements of 2nd bill to the 1st to get progressives on board, and doing that, which would require sending back to a reconciliation committee with the Senate, could kill it. If the 1st bill doesn’t pass, the 2nd one probably can’t, unless that causes complete consolidation of Dems in House and Senate behind a reconciliation partisan approach.
While I certainly hope the bill passes, I am deathly afraid of politicians getting involved in EVs. EVs are going to win out on the merits with or without subsidies. It has become clear to me that legacy politicians are going to tilt the game in favor of legacy automakers and political considerations, which often has the effect of stifling innovation. They already appear to be picking winners and losers in the crypto space, and I'm fairly certain very few of our legislators understands crypto any better than they understand EVs.

...is it just me or has it been really boring to go from a year Tesla 10x's to a year, 7+ months in, where it hasn't appreciated at all?

This has been the trend for TSLA. I waited almost 5 years before I saw gains. Incredible gains! I never expected or even dreamed of what happened last year.

With this stock I don't think anyone can predict when it will move big. The re-pricing happens like a "release of a spring". (Cathie Wood's words.)

No matter what your trading strategy it is best to stay positioned for the next big move and take advantage of the dips.

I would argue the truth is more moderate than this image of eternal sacrifice. Sustainability requires rational conservation, but it's main contribution to human existence will be an end to scarcity and a transition to permanent abundance. Kind of like Star Trek.

Telling people they need to live on a tablespoon of granola every day and walk everywhere isn't accurate or helpful if you ask me.
Sounds familiar. I had the exact same thoughts because I, too, thought that adopting a vegetarian diet was doing a sacrifice (so wrong!). Note that I'm French, live in Paris, and my family wealth comes from the food/restaurant industry. I also flew all around the world and did free falling a lot, until I realized that I was sacrificing my own future and my future children's just to some a quick, dumb pleasure. Idem for soft drinks and fast food.

I'm sure I also thought, before Tesla, electric vehicles were for golf carts.

What you perceive as today's sacrifice may well be tomorrow's desire. You just need to realize what you're *really* sacrificing. May the latest IPCC reports helps you understand that. I hope you'll trust that people can change (people have always changed, and this time, they don't really have a choice... but choosing the right future is better than being force to live the worst one).

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 6.15.14 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The IPCC came out with a new climate change report today. Temperature rise is progressing even faster than previously expected.

The world needs like 50 more companies like Tesla in various industries, and we need them now.

So does the market think that Tesla is a covid play?

Along those lines, consider how the drainage from the roof on a 3/4 mile long building will flow directly into that river and provide water for farmers downstream. Balancing out the usage somewhat.
That's a lot of water potentially. The water retention requirements for such a large impermeable area (plus parking lots etc.) would be quite large normally.

Good volume for TSLA in the Pre-market today with strong buying interest (TSLA gains appeared to reverse an early negative trend in the macros):

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes​

Data last updated Aug 09, 2021 09:30 AM ET.​
This page will resume updating on Aug 10, 2021 04:00 AM ET.​
Consolidated Last Sale$709.89 +10.79 (+1.54%)
Pre-Market Volume530,144
Pre-Market High$711.75 (08:00:03 AM)
Pre-Market Low$704.89 (05:47:30 AM)

Here's what Pre-market trading looked just after the Open:

TSLA.2021-08-09.09-30.png

And here is how we Opened:

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2021-08-09.09-30.png

Upper Bollinger Band at 725.14

Cheers!

Along those lines, consider how the drainage from the roof on a 3/4 mile long building will flow directly into that river and provide water for farmers downstream. Balancing out the usage somewhat.
Ummm, sorry nice positive thought but that's not how it works. Tesla is simply building a massive facility that will increase flooding and reduce the normal hydrological functions of area. Necessary but nothing good about it. It will not help farmers downstream, just hurt them. The industrial use of the river will also negatively impact farmers and towns downstream, just how this works. Necessary but not helpful.

There was a TV documentation of Giga Berlin a few days ago, here is an excerpt showing the progress:

This is a link to the complete video, not sure if geoblocked though:
With VPN I watched it all, including all the ads for Amazon, among many others. This is one of the most balanced, even nuanced, ones I have seen. They included quite careful and balanced coverage of Reno impacts from the Gigafactory, and quite a few fan club coverages, most extensively of TeslaKid:

This is not easy going for people who have zero knowledge of German, but it is quite valuable for anyone with even the rudiments because the impact, both positive and negative, of a new giant manufacturing employer is shown from both German and US perspectives, both Sparks/Reno and Grüneheide. Question of water supply, electrical supply, residential and infrastructure consequences, even catering, are presented. Understanding this can help to have better perspective about the total impact of new gigafactories.

Thanks very much @hobbes .

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious - Berlin is going to use less water (inc. less water for cell production) than Texas...
That is interesting and can be explained by differences in water chemistry, crappy design in Austin, or greater output in Austin. Given the TX mindset I am guessing crappy design but it could very well either of the other two.