Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bitcoin Prices
In my attempt to estimate the potential impact to Q3 from Tesla's investment in Bitcoin, I am struggling to identify the official Bitcoin historical prices.
For the Q2 low, I see

from CoinDesk - $29,031.31 on June 22
from Yahoo - $29,360.96 on June 20
from Nasdaq - $31,216.00 on June 21

Does anyone know where I could find the official historical numbers for Bitcoin? Telsa's SEC filings states "we consider the lowest market price of one unit of digital asset quoted on the active exchange..."

Google gets its cryptocurrency feed from Coinbase, Inc. so I'd look into that. Google is pretty comprehesive on quotes, for example often posting the correct NASDAQ official closing price minutes before other sources.

Or a teaser for AI day - though as was mentioned here on TMC, the main objective for robots would be to further properly automate the Gigafactories.
Grimes on TikTok re-tweeted and @LivBoere directly on Twitter

Looks like the same robot, possibly at SpaceX - so what's the story here?

View attachment 698345
I'm 99.9% sure both of these videos were made at Giga Berlin during Elon's recent visit. The design of the roof trusses, walls and windows match the design of the perimeter mezzanine spaces meant for offices at Giga Berlin. You can also tell these spaces are currently being used as worker lunch and meeting spaces. The other giveaway is that Grimes is wearing the same clothes she had on in the other video conducting the robots at the Berlin production line. Plus Liv and Grimes are besties.

The Boston Dynamics Spot robot appears to be equipped with what could be a LIDAR extension or maybe just a different sensor suite. These days LIDAR is used in construction sites to map installed structure and services to check existing conditions and provide construction input into 3D drawing packages like REVIT. I'm speculating that the dog could be used to walk through the construction site to provide up to date 3D mapping to confirm construction progress and alignment with the design. Very cool use of technology if that's the case.

Last edited:
The Boston Dynamics Spot robot appears to be equipped with what could be a LIDAR extension or maybe just a different sensor suite. These days LIDAR is used in construction sites to map installed structure and services to check existing conditions and provide construction input into 3D drawing packages like REVIT. I'm speculating that the dog could be used to walk through the construction site to provide up to date 3D mapping to confirm construction progress and alignment with the design. Very cool use of technology if that's the case.
Late night OT.

It absolutely can be used for that purpose. Boston Dynamics released a video on their YouTube channel a couple days ago showing exactly that.

Thinking out loud…

Grimes and Karpathy are posting robo dog pics, day before AI day.

Dave Lee has been talking about Tesla needing a “last 100m” delivery solution.

A rumoured AI day surprise. (Tweeted by the first guy to tweet pic of the invite).

A fleet of noiseless robotaxis planned that has a ready market of people to move for most of the day, but which has nothing to do during the small hours.

An online shopping sector going gangbusters and which will ramp again if deliveries become cheaper and more reliable. (There’s no such thing as free delivery, the cost is merely averaged and moved into the markup).

A quadruped makes sense, unlikely to stumble on ramps, gutters, stairs, and able to jump in the back of an EV. Also cute enough to be non threatening. (noted how Grimes played on the cute factor)

I think Dave is right. We just need a little imagination to see how robodog will pull the parcel from the vehicle and secure it on his back.

Looking forward to the presentation tomorrow.
If Tesla AI is solving real world object recognition, and real world movement by extension - then last mile delivery should be a natural expansion of their robotaxi capability.

Is there an easier entry into this market segment that makes still makes economic sense?

Also just thinking out loud...would a natural segment expansion go something like this:
  1. Advanced security camera vision algorithms - recognising all objects being recorded for a more in depth analysis of the world - no robotics needed to build a product and start generating revenue
  2. Patrol/inspection/reconnaissance drones - taking over monitoring and inspection roles currently done by humans however the drones don't have the difficulty of logistics and materials handling of deliveries
  3. Last mile delivery drones - moving goods in the real world using the learnings from 1 and 2
  4. General autonomy - real world manual labour using learnings from 1,2 and 3 along with improvements in robotic dexterity and strength to replace what is currently done by humans.

What auto regulators know an autopilot can only be used when a certicated and current pilot is in control?
Probably that ignorance is a good reason not to use the absolutely appropriate wording, especially when one adds the non-descriptive "Full self driving".
Anything only trained certificated pilots know is unlikely to be a good descriptor for the general public.

Oh the irony...and apologies for digging this up from 2019, but it's pertinent today:

"Central office for combatting unfair competition" (sorry, German) - an "institution" in German industry with illustrious members such as Audi, BMW, Daimler and Volkswagen, the largest and most influential nationwide and cross-border self-regulatory institution for the enforcement of the law against unfair competition, brought suit against Tesla for the "Autopilot" claim in its M3 verbiage on the website after receiving "several complaints". Unclear who the complaints are from.

The fact that Tesla points out on their website that the driver must always actively monitor the car and that autonomous operation was not possible didn't suffice for the court.

Media report here (again, sorry for German)

...I'd say: Only in Germany...but we all here know this is a global issue with FUD against TSLA

General autonomy - real world manual labour using learnings from 1,2 and 3 along with improvements in robotic dexterity and strength to replace what is currently done by humans.

We can consider jobs that are dangerous for humans, or locations where humans may find it hard to survive... deep underground mines, desert/sea search and rescue.. Cleanup of hazardous waste, firefighting, searching in collapsed buildings/ mines etc..

Someone also mentioned robotic guide dogs, I mentioned it myself previously, because it is difficult or impossible to take a guide dog on international travel...

While a real dog is a better companion, a robotic guide dog can provide more detailed 2-way communication, including receiving instructions, recognising friends, locating specific objects, and describing scenes.

We can consider jobs that are dangerous for humans, or locations where humans may find it hard to survive... deep underground mines, desert/sea search and rescue.. Cleanup of hazardous waste, firefighting, searching in collapsed buildings/ mines etc..

Someone also mentioned robotic guide dogs, I mentioned it myself previously, because it is difficult or impossible to take a guide dog on international travel...

While a real dog is a better companion, a robotic guide dog can provide more detailed 2-way communication, including receiving instructions, recognising friends, locating specific objects, and describing scenes.
Forget the robot. Just make a vest to wear with cameras that interoperates the surroundings audibly or with shoulder taps from electronic servos or similar devices.

“Right now many Model 3's/Y's produced in China are being exported to Europe in a logistical nightmare that is not sustainable and thus pushing back delivery times for customers throughout the region,” the analyst said. [Dan Ives]

Can't see how it will free up chips. Tesla may benefit from non-chips supply chain being freed up.

Not when the reason for the cut is a lack of chips vs no demand or worker strike specifically to Toyota.

I may be mistaken but it has been my understanding that one of teslas engineering superiorities is the lower number of overall chips used. Offhand I recall Tesla using something like 80% less chips per car than some other specific model. This allows Tesla to pay more in a competitive market than other car manufacturers with it having less of an effect on the bottom line. If Toyota had a supply contract in their supply chain promising a certain volume at a certain price up to a certain date and that has no expired then in theory the 40% cut would be due to the new pricing structure making Toyota unable to buy those chips at the the new market price, freeing up production volume to the highest bidder.

I realize that my assumptions may be very inaccurate.

Edit: I realize the article implied that the reason it hadn't been an issue for toyota until now was that they had a stockpile, but having working in manufacturing I find it absurd to believe Toyota stockpiled enough chips to get them 1.5 years into the pandemic and then all the sudden they need to cut productions by 40%. The capital you would need to tie up for 1.5 years of parts just seems stupid. Whatever the sudden 40% cut is being caused by its not because they had a vault of chips that was full 1.5 year ago and its empty now.

Last edited:
1629370185564.png