Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to be in the Early Access Program with my 2019 M3 SR+. In 2019 I gave frequent feedback to Tesla on the problem you described above. I sent pictures to Tesla of the corners where the car would be alerting loudly to take over while at the same time maintaining a dangerous speed into the curve. I stressed how this made no sense and wasn't safe, and asked Tesla multiple times to at least slow the car down significantly when the car comes to a corner it can't negotiate. They listened and FSD has improved greatly.

I've since upgraded to a 2020 MY with HW 3.0 FSD. Now the car does in fact slow down and anticipate curves very well, I believe it may even read the suggested speed limit signs for tight corners, as well as the directional arrows we use here in the U.S. to indicate sharp turns. For example, I just drove from South Lake Tahoe, CA, to Fort Bragg, CA on California State Route 20, a quite curvy, hilly, undivided 55mph highway. The car performed nearly flawlessly over the entire 6.5 hour trip, slowing down smoothly and with control at tight curves, maintaining appropriate speed in the turn, and exiting back up to 55-60mph in a human-like manner. It can be a bit jerky and hesitant at times, but nevertheless I would describe the trip as nearly fully autonomous, one just has to be on the lookout for road debris and potholes. When one comes to a stop sign one has to disengage FSD and make the turn themselves before re-engaging FSD, that's about the only input I have.

I see a variety of descriptions here on TMC regarding FSD performance. I think it has to do with what FSD hardware one uses (if they have FSD at all, sometimes I question whether the poster even has FSD the way they describe their vehicle behavior), where they are driving the vehicle, how clean the cameras/sensors are, climate, road conditions, etc. I drive 99% of the time on dry, sunny, well-marked highways in Arizona, Nevada and California, where (presumably) Tesla gathers most of its data and does much of its testing. And I can say with conviction FSD on highways has improved immensely over the past two years. I'm still astounded at how well the car does on road trips, and I can't describe it to someone, one just has to experience it for themselves.

Anyway, my Tesla has for some time been able to recognize upcoming curves on undivided highways, slow down preemptively, and negotiate them in a human-like manner. The only curves it still can't do is hairpin turns and roundabouts, but it appears FSD Beta is making good progress on this front. An additional very positive safety development is that my car also slows down in areas where I, too, would naturally slow down, like with pedestrians or cyclists close to the side of the highway, anywhere where there is congestion and uncertain conditions where a reduction in speed is warranted. Again, perhaps this has to do with where I live and drive, but my point is that Tesla is making significant progress even without Dojo neural nets or whatever machine-learning technique(s) they are developing.
That's a nice beer run. Love Rasputin!

Reactions: scaesare
MODERATOR:

The pervasive speculation regarding a humanoid robot has gone far too far for far too long. It long since has lost any reason to exist in this thread. As always, someone can make a specific thread for it. “Left handed scissors” in this thread? That was the final straw.

Also: noisome comments regarding a specific fund and its size - ALL such further comments to be placed in a specific thread, to be populated by the testosterone deficient.

Likewise moronic discussion of “Nine Rings”

Delete fingers - left- and right-handed - are standing by.

• Helpful
Reactions: Drumheller
OT, but it still gets Tesla in the news.

WSJ - hour ago: Tesla Ignites a Feud, and It Has Nothing to Do With Cars

Excerpt:

This summer, the governor of Serbia’s central bank is taking an aggressive position on a foreign currency: Trying to stop inventor Nikola Tesla appearing on Croatia’s coins.

Though dead for 78 years, Mr. Tesla still raises temperatures between these two Balkan neighbors over which one has bragging rights to the pioneering electrical engineer, after whom Tesla Inc.’s electric vehicles were named.

Mr. Tesla was an ethnic Serb and grew up in a part of the Austrian empire that is in modern-day Croatia. In 1884, at 28 years old, he emigrated to the U.S., where he pioneered how to make alternating current work on a grand scale, electrifying the world.

For years, Serbia and Croatia have competed over Mr. Tesla’s legacy, naming buildings, monuments and streets after the inventor. In July, the Croatian public voted to have Mr. Tesla on the country’s new euro coins, when it joins the common currency, as scheduled, in 2023, in a poll held by its central bank. That would potentially put a Croation Tesla coin in the pockets of 340 million Europeans, further promoting the country’s claim to the inventor.

Jorgovanka Tabaković, the governor of the National Bank of Serbia, promised to “take appropriate steps” with the European Commission, sparking retaliatory comments from Croatian officials. Mr. Tesla already appears on Serbia’s 100 dinar note and it has issued commemorative coins related to anniversaries.

Here's what I can't stop thinking about:

Most of us didn't see the Teslabot coming for AI Day. Sure some of us felt Tesla might pursue robotics in the near future of some kind, but not to be so bold as to plan a generalized humanoid robot.

Imagine what ELSE they have behind closed doors which we still know nothing about? 😮
Wireless energy transmission, possibly using quantum teleportation. Come and get your tinfoil hats from me, and also, just a friendly reminder to cancel your CT reservation, so i can save you from any upcoming disaster (intended double entendre).

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Yes, this year alone MSFT is a whopping 22 times as innovative than TSLA, as measured by their YTD share performance. While MSFT is up 36.7% YTD, TSLA is only up 1.7%. 🤪

/s
I bought alot of Microsoft shares when COVID hammered it. Easiest investment decision I've made in awhile. Besides Tesla of course back in 2012/2013.

So Max pain is still at 680? But that large call purchase at 720 yesterday... didn't move max pain?
Today's Weekly Options volume seems to place a lot of interest around 700 on the put side.
View attachment 700878

We'll probably see it move up after today if a decent chunk of today's positions are left open. Very little volume below 700, and lots above.

jrqcpsn8qcj71.jpg

Excerpt:

This summer, the governor of Serbia’s central bank is taking an aggressive position on a foreign currency: Trying to stop inventor Nikola Tesla appearing on Croatia’s coins.

Though dead for 78 years, Mr. Tesla still raises temperatures between these two Balkan neighbors over which one has bragging rights to the pioneering electrical engineer, after whom Tesla Inc.’s electric vehicles were named.

Mr. Tesla was an ethnic Serb and grew up in a part of the Austrian empire that is in modern-day Croatia. In 1884, at 28 years old, he emigrated to the U.S., where he pioneered how to make alternating current work on a grand scale, electrifying the world.

For years, Serbia and Croatia have competed over Mr. Tesla’s legacy, naming buildings, monuments and streets after the inventor. In July, the Croatian public voted to have Mr. Tesla on the country’s new euro coins, when it joins the common currency, as scheduled, in 2023, in a poll held by its central bank. That would potentially put a Croation Tesla coin in the pockets of 340 million Europeans, further promoting the country’s claim to the inventor.

Jorgovanka Tabaković, the governor of the National Bank of Serbia, promised to “take appropriate steps” with the European Commission, sparking retaliatory comments from Croatian officials. Mr. Tesla already appears on Serbia’s 100 dinar note and it has issued commemorative coins related to anniversaries.
There is apparently literally nothing the Serbs and Croats won't fight about I guess.

Telsa's advertising strategy in action:
  • Step 1) Don't advertise.
  • Step 2) The media contacts you asking to write about your car.

Here's the review they wrote on my Plaid.

2022 Tesla Model S Plaid Review: A New 1,020-HP Chapter in American Luxury

Sorry but that's a negative review masquerading as a positive one with the main intent clearly to get people to read the headline and then proceed to complain about the car for the remaining 90% of the review. Even when he states the only comparison to the Plaid S which the Taycan, he mentions the Taycan is $50,000 more but fails to mention the Taycan being worse in every possible metric...range, acceleration, etc...

He makes sure to mention common Tesla FUD talking points..even when there's absolutely no reason to mention it. About a disingenuous as you can get :rolleyes:. He even questions Tesla's stated 0-60 and quarter mile times even though many Plaid owners have gotten the same or better numbers. Some people are just incapable of getting over their own personal bias.

Edit: I applaud you for lending out your Plaid S to be reviewed. I just don't like journalist doing a review when they have clear bias.

Last edited:

Excerpt:

Bloomberg (Mons Olympus edition) reports:

South Africa plans to feature Elon Musk on its coins. California Texas Mars says, don’t you dare.

New federal EV tax credit is one step closer...

"The House of Representatives on Tuesday approved a budget framework that will pave the way for Democrats to spend up to $3.5 trillion on a sweeping economic package to expand the social safety net that President Joe Biden has made a signature agenda item.

The House vote came after painstaking negotiations between Democratic leaders and a group of moderates yielded a compromise that paved the way for passage."

Last edited:
I bought alot of Microsoft shares when COVID hammered it. Easiest investment decision I've made in awhile. Besides Tesla of course back in 2012/2013.
.....or you could have simply continued to buy TSLA since the covid lows of March '20 and earned >6X your investment compared with MSFT.

Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 4.55.22 PM.png

Last edited:

Talk about adding a lot up and coming to a conclusion. I'd 100% love it if JC came to work at Tesla, so many areas he could help with.

And Elon is certainly trying to recruit him.

New federal EV tax credit is one step closer...

"The House of Representatives on Tuesday approved a budget framework that will pave the way for Democrats to spend up to $3.5 trillion on a sweeping economic package to expand the social safety net that President Joe Biden has made a signature agenda item.

The House vote came after painstaking negotiations between Democratic leaders and a group of moderates yielded a compromise that paved the way for passage."

Been trying to find info on the package and found nothing. Hopefully more comes out tomorrow.

Been trying to find info on the package and found nothing. Hopefully more comes out tomorrow.

That's because there really is no info besides the talking points about what Democrat's want included.

This was just approval to start the process of writing out the legislation with the info/details. Will probably be weeks before you start to hear specific details about different parts of it. Then when's written out, it has to go to the committee to see if it's paid for under the reconciliation terms. Then it goes to a final vote.

Ah, but whatever the new plans are will be what keeps them off the top of a list in the first place because people will always think they're nuts (ala Cramer's take on CT).

True, a company can only be judged as "innovative" as those doing the judging are able to see it.

Are humanoid robots innovative or do they threaten the very existence of life as we know it? Elon looks further ahead at how civilization may or will unfold than anyone I know. He is a true futurist. Not only does he project what he knows about the present technological trends and human behavior to understand where the world will be in 5, 10, 20 or more years, he takes action in the present to accelerate mankind's journey into the future, pulling strings here and there to eliminate stumbling blocks to civilization's evolution. Here's an example from what I've seen:

I was having a difficult time understanding why Elon was so concerned about AI being an existential threat to humanity. Granted, as AI advances far enough I imagine eventually it could be a problem but why was Elon making such a stink about it now when he knew most people would think it was a wacky thing to be afraid of? Why did he put it out there repeatedly and so publicly rather than leaving it in the realm of AI researchers and hobbyists while encouraging further study in the area? He seemed to bring it up often, especially when he could insert it into pop culture, the bigger the audience, the better. I had to chalk this up as one of those things that didn't quite square with my understanding of Elon and the world.

I can now see a reason that makes sense. Elon knows AI, robots, etc. are going to be a big part of the future and he has looked into the future and seen that humanity is divided about it. As AI and robots become more capable, people are divided. A lot of people welcome it but an approximately equal number of people are fearful of it for various reasons. It may be simply because it threatens people's livelihoods. But as it advances, becomes more capable and more human-like, religious fears and fears of the unknown creep in. Perhaps AI/robots become better at most things than most humans. Opposition could be quite strong. Even people who think they like change don't like too much change. And AI/robots are becoming so advanced, so powerful, who is to say they won't advance to the point we can't turn them off, that they take over the world? Some churches will oppose it, entire non-profits will be formed to protect the public from this menacing threat.

Elon knows it will be controversial and that fears of them taking over the world will be raised whether he broaches the subject or not. He also knows he will have more credibility and more trust on this very issue if he is the loudest voice warning that we have to guard against this. Not only will he be one of the worlds foremost experts in AI, he will also understand the potential threat and be the most obvious person to trust to prevent the worst from happening. So, if he says a new iteration of the technology is completely safe, people will believe him. He will say, "that is something we have to guard against as AI becomes more advanced but the current generation is completely safe." Now his very public warnings fit into my world view without friction. If this is what he's doing, it's brilliant and very forward-looking. That's a major and fundamental reason why I invest in TSLA.