Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI
Porsche Taycan has a "restricted power issue" due to insufficient cooling and withdrew from the JEVRA EV race series?

I found this video somehow (it's not publicly searchable), and I can see no cooling system inside the pack. Only at the one side of the pack?

I am surprised that new custom builds of US Model 3 SR+ are not LFP batteries with the 253 mile range. Was the brief flood of LFP SR+’s just a teaser? I was really hoping that all new M3 SR+’s would be LFP to open up LR production of 3 and Y. Well, and even better, a reintroduction of MY SR…

Reactions: Don TLR
Okay, all of you amazing people so much smarter than me with all of this; my next deposit cleared with fidelity (finally), the question now becomes buy tomorrow, Thursday, or Friday?

No one can predict the future, but you all have proven to be much more accurate than me lol!

3:55 on Friday. Not advice!

p.s. While I may look smart, I am low on the totem pole here. :p

Yes, leading into options expiry on a Friday afternoon. On a Tuesday though? Rather suspect.

On one hand, I am super excited about the current stock price, on the other the fact that some of my LEAPs are down 15% over the past two days leaves me wondering and slightly apprehsive about what someone(s) is cooking up.

I think it hardly matters what the manipulators are cooking up. Q3 earnings will snap their heads around, Q4 will loosen their teeth, and next year (growth and Dojo-powered FSD) will punch their heads clean off. It's only a matter of time.

Motortrend, by saying the Rivian is the first EV pickup to actually hit the market, had me wanting one to fill the gap until I can take delivery of a Cybertruck. I actually think it will be a good vehicle as long as it's reliable which is a big question mark. So, I looked at the price to see how much I might lose on resale value when my Cybertruck came up. But the price just said "$67,500-$73,000 (est)". How can it be the first pickup to hit the market when they don't even know the price? When I buy it can my cashier's check just say "around $67,500 to $73,000"? So I guess it's not "on the market" yet.

Then I realized the hard part is mass production. When could I actually buy one? The final straw that completely collapsed my excitement was watching the MT staff operate the touchscreen. Maybe one of you early Model S owners can comment but it looked to me to have more lag than the original 2012 Model S that drove some owners crazy. It looked like the reviewers did everything they could hide the screen lag but it still came through when scrolling and zooming out on the map (3:15 on the video). When the center screen operates every function as it does on Tesla's, it's imperative that the screen is responsive! Maybe they will have a new computer in there by the time they make the first deliveries but this seems like something they would already be on top of. After all, Tesla came out with the Model 3 in late 2017 and the screen was super responsive. So they have had plenty of time to solve that problem.

I'm not trying to bash as I want Rivian to succeed, it just seems like they have a huge uphill battle ahead of them. I don't have a reservation so I don't think it's realistic to think I could get one before my Cybertruck is ready (even though my reservation is estimated to be 40K+ in line). It looks like Rivian already has a Service Center in Bellevue, WA where we picked up both of our Model 3's, only an hour or so away. Maybe I'll put a $1000 reservation deposit down and see what happens?
I have some experience with Rivian - they make Tesla look organized. Behind the taut styling is a company sorely looking for organization, communication protocols and identity. I hope they succeed. I won't invest at $80B valuation.

Screenshot_20210831-184338_Chrome.jpg

Tesla will make bi-pedal and wheeled robots.

Hope he makes a Johnny-5 robot not armed with a flamethrower
Johnny_5.jpg

Okay, all of you amazing people so much smarter than me with all of this; my next deposit cleared with fidelity (finally), the question now becomes buy tomorrow, Thursday, or Friday?

No one can predict the future, but you all have proven to be much more accurate than me lol!

About 1.5 hours after the market opens on any day.

Baby steps....baby steps
No ...sorry...Lutz is a putz. Easy to act like the Tesla the company is doing the right thing now....after the fact.
He was supposed to be a smart auto executive that was why he was on all those shows talking about Tesla.

In fact, he either had no clue...or was purposefully lying.

Either way, he is a putz...he was wrong in EVERY single interview in Tesla's early years. He is in the same camp as Cramer to me.
Wait until it is obvious to every single human with a brain that Tesla has the winning formula...THEN jump on the bandwagon.

May he slide into the irreverence he so richly deserves.

Brilliant comeback in the comments section of some EV hitjob piece that showed up in my FB feed (titled : Don't kid yourself: electric cars won't save you money). Didn't read the article because life's too short, but saw this gem in the comments.

* NOT my work, so if the author is a TMC member or reads this, please take credit for your amazing response!! *

"Hmm I guess I'd better replace my EV with a petrol one then. But first I have a few questions:
1. I have heard that petrol cars don’t refuel at home while you sleep? How often do you have to refuel elsewhere ? Is this several times a year ? Will there be a solution for re-fuelling at home?
2. Which parts will need servicing and how often? The car salesman mentioned changing oil. Changing it to what ? I was told about a box with gears in it. What is this?
3. Can I accelerate and brake with one pedal as I do today with my electric car?
4. Do I get fuel back when I slow down or drive downhill ? I assume so but I need to ask to make sure?
5. The car I test drove seemed to have a delay from the time I pressed the accelerator pedal until it began to accelerate. Is that normal in petrol cars?
6. I currently pay about 3-4c per Km to drive my electric car. I have heard that petrol can cost 5 or more times as much so I reckon I will lose some money in the beginning. I drive about 30,000 Km a year. Let’s hope more people will start using petrol so prices go down.
7. Is it true that petrol is highly flammable and can easily explode? Should I empty the tank and store the petrol somewhere else while the car is in the garage?
8. Is there an automatic system to prevent petrol from catching fire in an accident. What does this cost?
9. I understand that the main ingredient in petrol is oil. Is it true that the extraction and refining of oil caused environmental problems as well as conflicts and wars that over the last 100 years may have cost millions of lives ? Is there a solution to this consequential anomaly?
10. I have heard that cars with internal combustion based engines are being banned to enter more and more cities around the world, as it is claimed that the tend to harm the environment and health of their people? Is this just a conspiracy theory or is there any truth in it? Do I need to relocate to Australia?
11. I’ve heard you can’t operate a petrol or diesel car in confined spaces, there must be ample ventilation otherwise the side effects of operating it can cause bad health or even death from suffocating carcinogenic fumes. Are we required to pay extra health insurance to cover medical costs?
I may have more questions later but these are the most important ones to me at the moment. Thank you in advance for your replies."

Dont try to time it -- neither you nor anyone else knows what the price is going to do in the short term. We all know what it's going to do in the long term, though.

Anyway, the price recently has been relatively stable by historical standards. A few dollars up or down won't make any difference in the long run. Just buy and don't worry about it.

Last edited:

I have some experience with Rivian - they make Tesla look organized. Behind the taut styling is a company sorely looking for organization, communication protocols and identity. I hope they succeed. I won't invest at $80B valuation.
Agreed. Worked there, have some options vested. I think they will do well, but def not valued >1/10th TSLA. Will be cashing out asap and putting into TSLA.

Teehee….

Wow
Sad performance by most. Amazing that the Audi e-tron only gets 180 real world miles from 95 kwh!

1630463608716.jpeg

I usually like to buy during red days.
If there is one this week I will be happy for you.
if there is none this week, I will be happy for me. ;)