Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an investor and TSLA shareholder I agree, given the current demand raising prices makes sense.

As a consumer hoping to buy my first Tesla next year, a Model Y LR, I am upset because the price of my next car keeps climbing higher and higher. At this point I'll likely just keep my current 2015 Subaru Crosstrek much longer than I intended until the prices of Tesla's fall again. I don't care how wealthy I am, as a frugal individual I do not like paying more for a product than I want to, and right now the price of a LR MY is more than I'd want to spend.

Thankfully I do love my little Crosstrek, and if my TSLA shares skyrocket quicker than I expect then frack it I'll pay whatever Tesla wants for a Model Y. :D
I don’t know about you but the higher share price from higher profits outweigh the higher costs of the car.

My only regret when buying my Tesla was that I didn’t buy it sooner.

Cylindrical is better at preventing expansion and smaller cells have shorter pathways - less resistance.
You’re right about the internal resistance, but it seems that mostly impacts the operating temperature limitations of cells via resistive heating. There will be an impact on the power due to losses, but minimal by comparison. Drew Baglino mentioned as much.

The cell expansion is not related to its max C-rate, but to its energy density (the number of Li ions that move from cathode to anode and back during a charge-discharge cycle).

Tesla raising prices makes sense. There is just too much demand right now, the value proposition is too good and consumers are understanding this.

But Tesla is scaling rapidly, at 70%/year currently and probably gonna be around this rate for two more years at least. As they scale up production, at some point demand won’t scale equally fast and they will have to lower prices to scale up demand. People who want a cheaper Model Y will have to wait until everyone who are willing to pay more have gotten theirs or Tesla has scaled up production.

.Inflation
.Cushion for EV tax credit
.No Competition
.Demand

.All of the Above ;)

“On a Wednesday just before the start of summer, SoftBank Group CEO Masayoshi Son gave managers of his company’s venture capital arm a list with thousands of VC-backed startups. Frustrated that SoftBank’s two Vision Funds had missed out on investing in some hot tech companies, he wanted the partners to contact as many of the startups on the list as they could to see if they might take money from SoftBank, said four current and former employees with direct knowledge of the matter.

In meetings over the following months, Son regularly asked how many startups the partners had contacted, sometimes singling out specific individuals for not making enough calls, one of the people said. The increased pressure led to more deals, but some of Son’s subordinates decided the potential payoff wasn’t worth waiting for. A wave of senior investment partners and other personnel have left or plan to leave, in part because they were dissatisfied with what they privately said was a spray and pray strategy, said two of the people with direct knowledge of the situation.”

🧐

BREAKING: Tesla has increased the price of all US Model Y variants. All Model Y variants have increased in price by $1,000. Standard Range Model 3 is now $2,000 more. M3 Performance is $1,000 more.

• Model Y starting price: $54,990
• Model 3 starting price: $41,990 https://t.co/jfZpPhqgQe

Pretty much just like I expected. I still expect another round of price increase in early November if congress stops it’s infighting and passes the EV bill.

Not worried about any spill over to Q1 either. If people cancel their order or refuse their order, they’ll go to the back of the line and pay the new higher price. Remember there was another price hike back in late July. So overall they would be paying about 3-4K more if they cancel and pay the new price. Yes they would get the ev credit/rebate, but it wouldn’t be nearly as important since it would be only 4K instead of an 8k difference. I also expect wait times for new orders to be Aug/Sept of 2022 by the time we get to Jan 1st

On Jun 16, Elon replied to a tweet saying "Massive increase in Supercharger network is underway"

Now that Q3 is over, how do the numbers look for North America?
(Disclaimer: data was pulled from supercharge.info, which is not official data from Tesla)

New locations per quarter (tied with Q2 as a record)
1633530386721.png

New stalls per quarter (new record)
1633530448301.png

2021 should be a record year in NA for new locations and stalls.

Not going to link to it, but CNBC has a video special on Tesla Solar for Lora K. Besides quoting herself, she also PROMINATELY features TeslaCharts, an anonymous "solar industry expert". Most of the Tesla solar customers she interviews that have had issues have flat roofs (go figure), and a lot of old quotes and headlines from the familiar bear sources. Only positive seemed to be the one token Tesla bull customer from a Tesla owners club president. Classic FUD!

I think I'd last 30 minutes in a US firm 🤪

I can't abide racism, but I like to flirt with the office girls and I swear like a dunk navvy...

If all you like to do is flirt with the girls and swear like a drunk you might be considered a goody two shoes in the line of work I retired from in Alaska. 🤫

I'm glad society is cracking down on posers like you. ;)

Howdy, howdy, let's get rowdy! It appears the rocket is fueled and ready for ignition as soon as we have clearance from launch command.

The cell expansion is not related to its max C-rate, but to its energy density (the number of Li ions that move from cathode to anode and back during a charge-discharge cycle).
This is kind of getting into the weeds here but cell expansion is related to C rate, higher C rates cause more swelling.

At the end of the CC-CV charging, cells charged with higher C-rates exhibit greater average cell thickness

During the early '21 run up to $900 there was a distinct separation between TSLA and the rest of the market indices.
We are starting to see a similar pattern.
MON. TSLA up, with NASDAQ, S&P500 & DOW down big
TUES. TSLA flat, with NASDAQ, S&P500 & DOW up big
WED. (so far) TSLA up, with NASDAQ, S&P & DOW down big
IMO this trend will continue with a longer term (end of year) outcome of TSLA moving higher, and NASDAQ, S&P and DOW moving lower. Positioned accordingly.

And that’s a problem with people. The inability to see past the extraneous, the clothes, the meat suit, the facade, the edge of the box, the veil.

Convention breeds mediocrity, laziness, judgement. ... Those who present themselves as and who represent the elite in the field given copious amounts of airtime.

well said, sir.

One problem that afflicts many people is superficiality, which is opposed to integrity. Most of those people probably think they have integrity because they do not overtly steal or physically attack people.

We all fortunate that Elon Musk could not imagine lack of integrity. His First Principles thinking explicitly rejects superficiality. By definition, that approach does have mistakes built in, sometimes large mistakes. It forces dealing with the most serious problems as quickly and as well as possible.

Everything wee worry most about here seems to end out being related to superficiality and otherwise lack of integrity.

What a wonderful world it would be were we worried only about Tesla deficiencies in Customer service, slow deliveries and specific features we abhor.
Instead we must endure indolence, duplicity, deceit and mendacity.
How interesting it is to live in our world.

Last edited by a moderator: