Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, it looks like Plaid Model S is at around 100kwh BUT the new pack is using 7,920 cells vs 8,256 in the old car. See video below.

This explains 200lbs weight reduction in the Plaid s vs the outgoing Model S Performance despite Plaid having another motor onboard.

At 336 fewer cells x 45 grams per cell, bty weight explains only 33 lbs of the difference. Remember, the pack itself is new, sharing many components and the advanced design from the Model 3/Y pack.

Also the two rear motors are SRPM carbon-wrapped motors, much lighter than the old heavy single AC motor that they replace from the old Model S Performance. There also appears to be improved rear castings to mount the dual motors.

I recommend weighting (see what I did there?) until @Ingineer has done his review. Here's his video about the new Plaid bty pack:

"Tesla Plaid - Battery Torn Open!" | see other Ingineerix videos on Youtube

Cheers!

Last edited:
Mild speculation, but depending upon when someone was hired by Tesla, it is likely that there are significant number of Tesla Millionaires working for Tesla . . . that beats a union any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

If they continue on their current trajectory, there will be MANY more Teslaires working there with each passing year.
That's not sustainable, and to me that's a major concern. I don't think we're likely to see another 200x in TSLA over the next 5 years so that new employees can make a proper high-end wage.

We all love Elon and Tesla, but he clearly has a dangerous preference for what he calls "less drama" as it applies to workers just getting *sugar* done. And that makes sense, he's an impatient engineer who dreams of efficiency. But if Elon could replace us all with robots, he would.

That's why I'm so excited Elon is committed to manufacturing in Germany. These guys have the capacity and ability to function at an even higher level of precision and speed than Shanghai. Lets see if Elon can make that happen with a workforce who will most definitely take a 9 hour lunch if it's in their interest to do so.

Maybe this US "union tax credit" nonsense even has a positive impact on Tesla culture in the US. Keeping compensation at the forefront is not a terrible idea these days. As @Jackl1956 mentioned above, this disruption is quite powerful. And efficiency generally translates into fewer workers. A HUGE percentage of high school educated males making a rational salary in the US derive their income from truck driving. Tesla is literally working to end that. These things should worry us more than they do.

That's not sustainable, and to me that's a major concern. I don't think we're likely to see another 200x in TSLA over the next 5 years so that new employees can make a proper high-end wage.

We all love Elon and Tesla, but he clearly has a dangerous preference for what he calls "less drama" as it applies to workers just getting *sugar* done. And that makes sense, he's an impatient engineer who dreams of efficiency. But if Elon could replace us all with robots, he would.

That's why I'm so excited Elon is committed to manufacturing in Germany. These guys have the capacity and ability to function at an even higher level of precision and speed than Shanghai. Lets see if Elon can make that happen with a workforce who will most definitely take a 9 hour lunch if it's in their interest to do so.

Maybe this US "union tax credit" nonsense even has a positive impact on Tesla culture in the US. Keeping compensation at the forefront is not a terrible idea these days. As @Jackl1956 mentioned above, this disruption is quite powerful. And efficiency generally translates into fewer workers. A HUGE percentage of high school educated males making a rational salary in the US derive their income from truck driving. Tesla is literally working to end that. These things should worry us more than they do.

Moravec’s paradox frames the risk to white collar jobs versus blue collar jobs. IBM developed “Watson” to compete on the game Jeopardy; they have since repurposed Watson for medical diagnosis. I like the example of a radiologist — send someone to college for four years, add four years of medical school and then a couple years as an intern; all this before they begin to practice. Watson can evaluate the X-ray of your lungs, and compare it to millions of online X-rays. Tesla‘s aggressive entry into artificial intelligence may well disrupt white collar jobs.

Nope. My guess it is too low volume of a car to make the required investment for the little gain over the 4) corner cast nodes they are currently using.

Tesla also had cast machines previously that were used to make the 2 piece back of the original Model Y.

Would not surprise me if these were the same machines, just with new molds. Perfect re-use of excellent equipment you have on hand, for a relatively low-production run car (compared to the 3/Y, not saying it's low by industry standards).

Koper, Slovenia!

Not Kotor, Macedonia. I can’t believe they would choose Macedonia, as it’s not in the EU and certainly not convenient to their main South Eastern markets.
Neither can I. That is why I described Koper. OTOH, Kotor is a very pretty town with a nice little port, mostly tourists and local traffic. There are a few EV charging places there but it would never be able to cope with a Roro of any size.

Sadly, I can generate typos at a very rapid pace.
Totally out of context, the sales associate at my Store who handled my Plaid delivery is from Kotor. She's the first Montenegran I have knowingly met in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jalopnik article that is bollocks.

Tesla's Germany Plant Is Still A Big Gamble
By Erik Shilling

No link, author believes Tesla will most likely pollute the water. Oh man I want to rant and swear about paid journalist swill.
Jalopnik also said that there was no way the Model S would ever be built. No reason to ever give them clicks.

S using giga castings?

2C592391-5136-4330-A150-87347B47112D.jpeg

Maybe we’re calling it a megacasting? Whatever the terminology it’s a design change from the previous generation.

Moravec’s paradox frames the risk to white collar jobs versus blue collar jobs. IBM developed “Watson” to compete on the game Jeopardy; they have since repurposed Watson for medical diagnosis. I like the example of a radiologist — send someone to college for four years, add four years of medical school and then a couple years as an intern; all this before they begin to practice. Watson can evaluate the X-ray of your lungs, and compare it to millions of online X-rays. Tesla‘s aggressive entry into artificial intelligence may well disrupt white collar jobs.

Yes. Many people don't have this on their radar.

CGP Grey did a huge video about that, which i always recommend:
"Humans need not apply". Because robots are already taking over. For blue collar jobs everyone expects it. For white collar jobs nearly noone does - and that is what will get most affected people in serious trouble.

Edit: BTW that video is from 2014(!) with technology 7 years old!

Last edited:
Looking at @Baumisch 's location he states he is located in Germany. So if he is a German I'd give him a break on the spelling issue that many English as a first language speakers accidently make.
Can I just point out that you missed a massive opportunity to annoy the OP, right there... 🧐

Why we still have lawyers, or even judges for that matter, with the progress that's been made in AI is beyond me. Seems a fairly straightforward and perfect application. Just don't let the AI handle sentencing and execution :)

• Disagree
Reactions: GOVA and Jack6591
View attachment 721030
Maybe we’re calling it a megacasting? Whatever the terminology it’s a design change from the previous generation.
They S is probably using hand me down casting machines from the Y. And with each re-design they might add more as Tesla masters casting/stamping as a combined art. I think even low vehicles cars like the roadster will end up using some castings. Maybe not much in the Semi though.