Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again, why is Tesla cutting Hertz into it's business model? Why does Tesla need Hertz and Uber between it and Uber drivers? Why does Tesla need Hertz and Carvana between it and used car buyers? Why does Tesla need Hertz on the Tesla Network?

Tesla is starting to get into territory that it won't be able to get itself out of because of politics.
Tesla is selling cars to Hertz at full price. What would you have Tesla do to keep Hertz from buying its cars?

Two observations about how the Hertz news is shaping up.

#1. I would like to look past the modestly disappointing news regarding Hertz Sweden (HS) and suggest that the magnanimous hope is that HS still follows Parent Company’s lead and makes a similar arrangement with Volvo, to the tune of making a Polestar deal. I do admit there is something of an existential problem for Volvo, in that its quasi-monopolistic position in the Swedish car market becomes ever more problematic for its ICE vehicles, but that problem exists with or without the intervention of HS.
Such a move by HS does, obviously, not directly benefit Tesla but it absolutely jibes with Mr Musk’s overall goal of an EV revolution.

#2. This is a self-centered, very much Edge Case, but nonetheless important in a specific situation. To me, the Uber tie-up is a disappointment because of its effect of taking off the market one-half of Hertz’s vehicles to “individual” customers, as follows:
  • Tourism is one of three relatively co-equal sectors of Alaska’s economy, along with oil and fishing. The latter two are location-specific; tourism is the one industry that pervades effectively the entire state.
  • The car rental business is immensely vital to tourism; if any proof were needed it was demonstrated in the 2021 season when many, many visitors had to cancel their already-planned trips once they found there simply were not any cars for them to rent - a function of the Hertzes and Avises, etc., having pulled their fleet in 2020. I did not keep careful note of how many of our own reservations had to cancel but it was a sizable fraction.
  • The unavailability of rental cars exacerbated the already-extant move of tourists making use of the cruise-ship dominated group tours - by bus - which understandably also shunt their clients solely to their own hotels and other facilities, to the exclusion of individually-owned competitive possibilities, like ours. I did say this was self-centered, but the argument remains valid - not only do all such profits flow instantly out of Alaska, but even most of these operators’ employees are out-of-state, seasonal workers, so the economic Multiplier Effect to the Alaskan economy is minuscule.
  • Uber is NOT a viable option as the Alaskan tourist typically rents a car not for driving/being driven around Anchorage, but for a 500-2000 mile, 7-20 day trip.
  • Initially, I had high hopes for the Tesla-Hertz tie-up because I thought that Hertz’s large presence in Alaska just might also then provide the so-badly needed impetus for Tesla and others finally to provide Alaska with a Supercharger (etc) network. This goal may not yet be extinguished, but once again, the halved number of traditional Hertz Teslas perforce suggests that many fewer may be made available to the Alaskan fleet - once again, we are shunted aside.
May the above not become the case. But I do not have my hopes up.

The rules change for very large companies. In the US, that means antitrust scrutiny.

You have it exactly backwards. Anti-trust laws are to prevent or lower barriers to entry. Tesla has not yet entered the rental or ride-hailing markets. There is no way whatsoever that antitrust laws could be used to prevent them from entering that market.

Consumer protection laws are to protect the consumer (usually by ensuring competitive markets), not to protect incumbents. In this market, Hertz and Uber are the inumbents.

Cherry picking items. Hertz order won't be completely fulfilled until end of 2022. You're also ignoring that the Hertz Model SR's are the CATL made battery packs. Tesla cannot just swap out current Model SR orders with the new CATL battery packs because the range doesn't exactly line up. This was proven in Q3 with the emails to consumers plus the CATL SR vehicles going into inventory across the US.
Is this still true? I thought the Tesla Model 3 SR+ ordering page recently reduced the range slightly, so I assumed all new orders were getting LFP.

Is this still true? I thought the Tesla Model 3 SR+ ordering page recently reduced the range slightly, so I assumed all new orders were getting LFP.

I haven't followed if the range of the Model SR+ was updated on the order page but it's likely it was so that Tesla could start selling the CATL based SR as the regular one for NEW orders.

But......it doesn't change what I'm saying about existing orders that have already been placed, which is already substantial. That's the key part of what I'm pointing out. All of the orders that have already been placed have to be fulfilled as the non-CATL battery SR.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rarity
The UAW is not powerless, just stupid for fighting Tesla and imagining legacy auto can survive while making more than 50% ICE vehicles in 2030 (greater than 50% because ICE hybrids are considered to be EVs). Jen Psaki made it clear the UAW is setting the anemic (and anti-Tesla) policies of the White House on EVs. OTOH I agree the workers are in trouble. Instead of wasting billions fruitlessly trying to prop up the pea-brained dinosaur-fueled dinosaur companies we should save/use that money for retraining autoworkers who will be getting laid off in droves soon. This can been seen as personally selfish since the economic ramifications of all those layoffs could hurt us all.

I'm not anti-union or anti-labor, just anti-stupid.
You are a dyed-in-the-wool Terry Pratchett fan. And if by lamentable misfortune you’ve not read his books, run, do not walk, to your nearest bookstore, library, or even to Amazon.

From Monstrous Regiment:

The enemy wasn’t men, or women, or the old, or even the dead. It was just bleedin’ stupid people who came in all varieties. And no one had the right to be stupid.

Funny how the S-curve works, even here we weren't quite ready to flip the switch to being mainstream. Now within 12 months you can probably select an EV-only Uber option nationwide in the US and a Tesla will show up. Maybe a year later and it's a robotaxi. We are there folks.

In my former life I negotiated procurement contracts between S&P100 corporate buyers and travel suppliers. I can tell you for certain that Hertz making this deal caught the attention of procurement heads and CFOs who make the annual commitment to one rental group at set corporate rates. A LOT of these people will now insist on Hertz because of their EV fleet. Hertz now gets the price benefit of exclusivity, likely on the order of 20% more profit than the competition who are racing to the bottom on midsized ICE. Smart move.

Initially I just thought Hertz was doing this as a re-IPO gimmick and I tipped my hat to them. Hearing about Uber this morning only reinforced that. Now that I've sat and pondered it, they've made a pretty bold move that should pay off nicely out in the real world.

My favorite EV application idea has always been a hub-less car rental scheme for Oahu, Hawaii. Build out smart charging infrastructure so vacationers simply request an available car wherever they happen to be standing and are guided to the closest one. Meanwhile, the car sits there soaking up cheap excess solar/wind supply and could even be feeding back to the grid for balance or at night when they're not in demand. This might be the next type of thing Hertz could explore. I know for a fact that Avis was looking into this type of product with Waymo a few years ago, and I assume has since dropped it.
Great post! I didn't know this is something you did.

I'm wondering if corporate buyers of travel services can score ESG points if they have a policy of renting EVs wherever possible. Moreover, if Hertz had PPAs with wind and solar generators to cover the power needed to keep the fleet charged, this could add even more ESG points to the package. After that, a next step could be to add Tesla Semi to their auto hauler fleets. Essentially they could build a whole net zero carbon ecosystem around the Tesla package for maximum ESG points.

Over the years, Musk Inc. has thrived by vertically integrated operations. All the way from Musk's imagination to the end consumer. Hertz, Carvana, Uber, and Uber drivers are not end consumers. They are all middle men that five years from now will not provide a valuable service to Tesla or end consumers.

Tesla is entering into an environment that constrains how it operates. If Tesla gives a dollar to the Hertzes of the world, politically speaking it is difficult to stop giving dollars to the Hertzes on a regular basis. And then Tesla has to do special things for the Hertzes because Tesla is not allowed to compete with the Hertzes.

The sensible thing to do is just to not give dollars to the Hertzes of the world in the first place. Problem solved.
So, maybe I am the one confused here. :rolleyes:
But it seems to me you are reading it backwards: Hertz will give dollars to Tesla, not the other way around.
Sorry to say, Tesla never gave me a dollar that had not been lent out in the first place even though I have bought their cars. All of my precioussss comes from holding TSLA stock, and a little bit from derivatives. Very little. Still hodl'n tsla btw.

Oh, I now see @EVMeister and MANY others already made my point.

Diess @ VW did this - not fired yet.
He had a private meeting in addition to the public cheer-leading one? I didn't know about that. I'm not surprised. The problem is Diess has already been hamstrung by his board who asked for an alternative way of solving the problems without firing a bunch of people. I think his heart's in the right place but a 3-day meeting with the top 200 managers is not going to solve anything even if Elon is cheering them on. That massive meeting is exactly the kind of thing Elon would never do. It appears Diess can't buck the corporate culture at VW so VW is doomed with the rest of them. If Diess actually followed Elon's advice then he (Diess) would be fired. He certainly wouldn't have had a 3-day meeting with 200 people.

Attachments

• ub.JPG
    ub.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 71
Diess @ VW did this - not fired yet.
I'm of the opinion that's exactly what he's trying to do. Worst case he's truly in charge of VW, best case he becomes head of Automotive at Tesla.

I think we can all agree Elon's work on cars is mostly done and it's time to move his focus to Energy and SpaceX. He can poke his head back in to make sure the doublings of capacity at various GF's moves optimally.

GM Profit Sinks as Chip Shortage Takes Toll -- Update
By Mike Colias

The gap in investor enthusiasm for shares of traditional auto makers such as GM compared with those of Tesla Inc. was amplified this week, when Tesla's valuation crossed $1 trillion. That figure is roughly 12 times higher than GM's valuation of about $83 billion at Tuesday's close.

GM's revenue this quarter ($26.8b) is now less than double Tesla's ($13.7b) and if you take out the money GM received from LG ($700m) for the Bolt recall, profit was about the same...

In 2016 GM's revenue was 20x Teslas.

2023 Tesla will beat Ford and GM in revenue.