Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Results from poll:
When will TSLA break $900?
August 2021 Votes: 7 5.0%
September 2021 Votes: 12 8.5%
October 2021 Votes: 26 18.4%
November 2021 Votes: 19 13.5%
December 2021 Votes: 19 13.5%
January 2022 Votes: 25 17.7%
Post January 2022 Votes: 33 23.4%

Only 13% were too optimistic. The vast majority were too pessimistic. Unusually Including myself as I had November.
TSLA SP Poll

Next poll closes in two weeks:
Poll - gross vehicle margin Q3 2022

Cost basis $42/shr for 6m shares. Bought in 2014 & probably holding for another 10 years.

Roger Penske advised against Tesla.

Baron looks for investment opportunities where the investment is heavily investing. This was Tesla.

Others can’t do what EM has done because they don’t have EM, see VW use of Elon to inspire their management. EM works 19 hours a day. Focus on supply chain helped Tesla grow through supply chain issues that others stumbled through.

Also excited by SpaceX how successful they recruit talent.

Nothing on Youtube from CNBC yet on Ron's segment on Tesla

Billionaire investor Baron on Democrats' tax plan: I don't like the proposal | CNBC.com

Guess it's too soon? ;)

Cheers!

seeing feeds/people picking on EM's wealth instead of Bezos ... I conclude it sucks to be #1 ;)
1635350581697.jpeg

This Uber/Hertz deal only makes economic sense for somebody who doesn’t own a car and wants to make a few bucks for a short period of time. Say, a summer job.

For anyone thinking about Ubering for a longer stint, they’d be far better off leasing a Tesla. This rental cost is more than double leasing costs.

But with gas and maintenance savings, this deal will still be attractive to lots of people, which is yet another demonstration of the amazing economics of EVs.

See ya, ICE!

Hertz rental is double leasing costs?

Did you calculate the lease payment for the typical 60k or more miles per year driven by a full time Uber/Lyft driver?

Now I don't know what to do with all the cash from my ITM calls I've sold. I want to gain back some shares that I had sold to buy LEAPs but not sure I want to pay $1050 quite yet. Surely we will have some sort of doldrums between now and Q4 PD/earnings. Assuming my shares don't get called away in December at the $1250-$1350 prices I sold covered calls at.

Reactions: friit
I do feel bad for the workers. They are powerless in changing their destiny. They are in denial that they are working on the Titanic.
The UAW is not powerless, just stupid for fighting Tesla and imagining legacy auto can survive while making more than 50% ICE vehicles in 2030 (greater than 50% because ICE hybrids are considered to be EVs). Jen Psaki made it clear the UAW is setting the anemic (and anti-Tesla) policies of the White House on EVs. OTOH I agree the workers are in trouble. Instead of wasting billions fruitlessly trying to prop up the pea-brained dinosaur-fueled dinosaur companies we should save/use that money for retraining autoworkers who will be getting laid off in droves soon. This can been seen as personally selfish since the economic ramifications of all those layoffs could hurt us all.

I'm not anti-union or anti-labor, just anti-stupid.

Now I don't know what to do with all the cash from my ITM calls I've sold. I want to gain back some shares that I had sold to buy LEAPs but not sure I want to pay $1050 quite yet. Surely we will have some sort of doldrums between now and Q4 PD/earnings. Assuming my shares don't get called away in December at the $1250-$1350 prices I sold covered calls at.
Speaking of LEAPS, I would greatly appreciate anyone shares decently priced end 2022 to 2023 LEAPS. Planning to buy this Friday

GM Profit Sinks as Chip Shortage Takes Toll -- Update
By Mike Colias

The gap in investor enthusiasm for shares of traditional auto makers such as GM compared with those of Tesla Inc. was amplified this week, when Tesla's valuation crossed $1 trillion. That figure is roughly 12 times higher than GM's valuation of about $83 billion at Tuesday's close.

V
Fair fact questions. Before the deal was announced, SR+ customers had to wait until February for delivery. Now, they have to wait until April. Meanwhile, you are starting to see a few (and admittedly it seems to be only a few) Hertz SR+ offerings.

I would be glad to be wrong on this point.
You don't seem ,'"glad" to be wrong.

@Sofie
switch to “dollar cost averaging/rage buy”
DCA/RB where you transfer money to brokerage, are allowed small margin interest like i do, being on fixed income retired😎😎😎☀️☀️😎😎😎 (futures so bright, gotta wear shades)
HC?BT! has worked pretty well for me so far. :cool:

* HC?BT! = Have cash? Buy TSLA!

GM Profit Sinks as Chip Shortage Takes Toll -- Update
By Mike Colias

The gap in investor enthusiasm for shares of traditional auto makers such as GM compared with those of Tesla Inc. was amplified this week, when Tesla's valuation crossed $1 trillion. That figure is roughly 12 times higher than GM's valuation of about $83 billion at Tuesday's close.
Chip shortages have actually hurt traditional auto manufacturers directly and indirectly. Used car prices are up, and some dealers are adding "market adjustment" add on to MSRP. While there have been some price increases for Tesla cars, they do not compare with those market adjustment add ons, here in the DFW area Toyota dealers add on $5k to the price to a 4Runner. This may be another reason that hertz, who like other rental companies sold their inventory to cover costs at a premium. As demand for rental cars increases, those companies now have to purchase new fleet inventory at higher prices. So the push for EVs by Hertz sounds great, but it is definitely motivated by real costs both capital and in maintenance.

Finally, what are people's thoughts on that pesky rental car insurance with regards to Tesla as an insurer and Hertz?

• Informative
Reactions: capster and Lessmog
OT
I do feel bad for the workers. They are powerless in changing their destiny. They are in denial that they are working on the Titanic.

No sympathy for fossil fuels, management, dealerships, lobbyists, owned politicians, etc...
Peanut butter! Nobody is powerless in changing their destiny. All those workers have the same access to information that all of us do.

Another looming tailwind I think we forget is the macro macro macro investment situation. Dozens of trillions of dollars are still on the sidelines sitting in cash. As traditional fossil fuel investments become a clear risk, where is all that money gonna go?

We're in a bubble that only about halfway there. I think it only gets deflated in like 2025 when gigascale renewables projects begin to soak up all that cash.

In the meantime.....where you gonna bank your cash? I think the scumbag billionaires of the world are becoming Elon believers.