Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this environment, Elon decided to send a message that he is not purposely tax dodging. So perhaps impossible to do what you said with getting maximum punishment from the court of public opinion. But I do agree with you that it's the best possible outcome for his tax dilemma.

True, I agree he probably won't do it, unless it is to give the big middle finger to someone about that whole 6B can feed the starving thing.

But, it is of course possible.

If you can find the information for what qualifies as a union shop, no Union employee can own stock in the company. I struggle to see how to disagree that the intention is that workers do not own stock.
I've been hearing that too but I don't know what the rule is.

I can say that Boeing is a shop with several unions but they allow BA stock ownership. A 100% BA fund is even one of the 401(k) options.

So the people who have done the math on this: Elon ends up with more net shares after all this because he exercised his options expiring in 2022? That's what I'm coming up with, do others agree?

The timing on this is not coincidence. Elon needs to file his insider selling forms 6 months in advance with the SEC, so the exercise of his options and then selling of some of the exercised shares must occur no earlier than May of next year. His options expire in August. It's way too convenient that Elon would do this poll now.

This is galaxy brain-class 4D chess. His stake actually increases in size when all is said and done, he pays a bunch of taxes to make the Twittard mob shut up and go away, and the stock's momentum is held in check for a bit which is something Elon has expressed a desire for in the past.

I have no problem with Elon selling 10% of his total shares. What I find most surprising, as a Tesla investor, is Elon's tweet "I will abide by the results of this poll, whichever way it goes", as if a Twitter vote is some source of truth. Twitter can be a source of useful information, but it is also a source of (crypto) scams and people who want Tesla to fail.
Agreed.

Twitter has legions of fake accounts used to push propaganda by various governments. All of those accounts are able to vote.

I haven't seen anyone mentioning another possibility ...
1. elon sells 10% of his shares
2. TSLA goes down
3. elon exercises his stock options
4. elon pays all the taxes
5, elon repays all the debt
6. with remaining cash he buys some TSLA shares at open market now at lower price

Problem?
His lawyers may advise against this due to SEC concerns. (referring specifically to part 6. of your master plan)

I haven't seen anyone mentioning another possibility ...
1. elon sells 10% of his shares
2. TSLA goes down
3. elon exercises his stock options
4. elon pays all the taxes
5, elon repays all the debt
6. with remaining cash he buys some TSLA shares at open market now at lower price

Problem?
6. Is the interesting one. He could easily do something unexpected. For instance he could start an electric Aviation enterprise, a space venture or an AI based security enterprise etc

• Helpful
Reactions: Johan and Lessmog
I would like to know how “hours per car” is worked out.

Herbert Diess: (from Electrek article):

“And in Brandenburg, Tesla wants to build half a million cars with 7,000 people – direct and indirect. And with an impressive productivity: expected 90 units per hour in one line, 10 hours per car.

500,000 cars per year produced by 7,000 employees, direct and indirect, is 500,000/7000=71.4 cars per employee.

Assuming 8 hour days, 5 days a week for 52 weeks, then man-hours is (8 X 5 X 52)/71.4= 29.1 hours per employee per car.

I suppose hours per car are not necessarily man-hours alone, but what else? The figures he gives should be meaningful in an equation.

Maybe his calculation somehow comes from “90 units per hour in one line”. Assuming 2 shifts: 90 X 16 X 365 = 525,600 per year, which works. But that only accounts for 40 seconds per car. Obviously, additional time must be spent by the 7,000 employees (direct and indirect) on off-line tasks. In that case, it’s still 29.1 man-hours per car.

Any suggestions?

In that case , Elon selling his shares is not dilutive
But exercising the options thereby obtaining newly minted shares has a dilutive effect on the share price.
No??
Exercising options isn’t dilutive because those option shares were already included in the fully diluted EPS calculations. Just like other employee stock options are also automatically included in such calculations. The street just assumes people aren’t dumb enough to not exercise their options.

In that case , Elon selling his shares is not dilutive
But exercising the options thereby obtaining newly minted shares has a dilutive effect on the share price.
No??

Yes, options issued as executive and/or employee compensation are always dilutive (assuming they are exercised).

Thanks to Elon and Tesla employees, there exists something of value to dilute!

Last edited:
I absolutely think it is a low probability @SunCatcher. But consider for just a moment the very act of Elon so publicly entertaining the idea of not selling. That possibility never even existed in the minds of MM’s just moments before the Tweet. This was serendipitously also an act of legalized cruel & unusual punishment to those who had made a career punishing Elon and his team, and slowing their efforts to advance a more sustainable planet.

I sincerely hope and believe that a 4D Chess player like Elon has found some satisfaction in this surprise move that must have made some MMs that might have gone too far out on a limb wondering if they need to suddenly hedge against their previous hedges IMO. So I don’t think Mondays trading will be as simple as a 10% drop followed by a recovery from people buying the dip. No way. Elon just infused confusion into the minds of those tasked with confusing the minds of retail investors. Boss move as @mongo pointed out.

Elon was glad to publicly humiliate the CEO of Robinhood for halting GameStop trading when shares weren’t readily available and Hedgies were getting eviscerated. He stood up against WS and MMs for the benefit of all of us. And now after both the Hedgies and Robinhood were let off the hook by the SEC, we find Elon’s own TSLA in a gamma squeeze with MMs believing that they will soon be able to cover their short positions with the 2% of TSLA float that Elon should be bringing to the market soon. But then in full Saturday College Football Game Day-Lee Corso-style Elon says “Not So Fast my friends……….I will let Twitter decide your fate”. I love it! What a stud. Because the MMs know Elon’s principles are important enough to him that it is within the realm of possibilities. Elon is playing the role of The Man in Black. He has placed the wine on the table in the form of a Twitter post and the MM’s are no longer confident which glass contains the iocane powder.

We can’t know if the last few weeks have smelled a bit like GameStop behind the scenes in this period of very unusual trading. But we do know Elon is willing to take a stand against such behavior in a most public way when necessary. And while my gut tells me this is just a taunting - I am enjoying the moment - and I am looking forward to the next Tweets from Elon when he ‘taunts them a 2nd time’

Interesting!

I thought the recent meteoric surge was dizzying fast - and you are saying it would have been a lot faster if the MMs couldn't afford to hedge, almost knowing that Elon would soon sell - so you assume that they have actually succeeded in slowing down the surge a lot?!
That didn't occur to me - wow!

But the poll itself is set to finish in a few minute - wouldn't Elon have to then extend the voting in order for the MMs to be affected?
Or are you saying that even if the poll ends with sell, Elon has not specified a precise time frame for selling, which then throws a spanner into the MM hedging calculations?

I just remembered that it was theorized that Elon and Tesla were actually very kind, almost graceful in saving some big WS players last year with the cap raise - but you are saying that this time it might be different?
Perhaps promises were made last year to keep manipulating hands off TSLA , but promises were not kept ...?
And now Papa Elon is ... dissapointed and trying another approach to get the message across?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D

I can say that Boeing is a shop with several unions but they allow BA stock ownership. A 100% BA fund is even one of the 401(k) options.

Yes, the rule is just for this bill. Having trouble finding the bill in its current state.

Unions are tricky as they control the narrative to their members with the company largely locked out for negotiation NDA reasons. Institutional hood winked membership.

• Helpful
Reactions: Gigapress