Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope the handful of 11/12 $1k puts I picked up last week don't wind up ITM but... :(
Buying puts and selling calls both have similar effects on the share price. The market makers on the opposite ends of those options trades feel compelled to sell shares as hedges. Those can place downward pressure on the share price.

As noted earlier in the thread- that is not for Tesla.
(credit @mongo for originally pointing this out)

Nobody has shown any SEC doc with tesla having such a policy.

We also know that 10b5-1 plans generally will respect the insider trading window (see same link above).

Exactly the opposite- that doc (which again is for a different company) specifically says 10b5-1 plans are not restricted to that window

The only info I've been able to find specifically about Teslas trading window is this:

14 days before end of quarter is when you can no longer sell.

He has until next Friday. That’s 20 trading days since Q3 earnings. Gary’s making it sound like this will continue in for the rest of the quarter.

Please post a link to either an SEC rule or Tesla filing supporting that 20 day window.
Note: other company's plans and IPO quiet periods are not applicable.

Elon already said their going to try to flatten the wave in Q4. I read that to mean that they'll pad 2020Q1 deliveries nos. with production drawn from 21Q4, to help lessen the margin impact on opening 2 new Giga factories in 22Q1.

Tesla has recently stated that Giga Berlin will begin production with the high margin Performance Model Y. I'm sure they'll do the same at Giga Texas, but as I've suggested here before this would be the IDEAL time to introduce a "made in Texas" Plaid Model Y. Simple parts swap for the front motor from AC Induction to SRPM (w. carbon ala the Plaid S). That's why the motors use the same castings so the switch can be made seemlessly.

But a Plaid Model Y, Founders Edition, equiped with a 100KWh 4680 bty pack and 760+ hp from two Plaid PM motors would EASILY command a retail price over $100K. There'll be some positive margins in that no matter what the Q1 production numbers, and STILL a faster car than a Ferrari. Want! ;)

Cheers!

Love this idea.

Also, nothing better to show the true obsolescence of ICE than a likely sub 10 second CUV with soccer moms humiliating Lambos.

20 trading days = 4 weeks tho I think Musk only has 2 total weeks since the poll was conducted 2 weeks after 48hrs post earnings when the window opened.
I'm sorry if I'm out of touch, but is it different with a unplanned stock sale such as the one resulted from the TRTW poll? Common sense says no and next week is the deadline to do any stock sale, planned or otherwise.

Reactions: st_lopes
Please post a link to either an SEC rule or Tesla filing supporting that 20 day window.
I’m not able to search at the moment in a productive way (incredibly slow WiFi out in the middle of nowhere) for Tesla filings.

I’ve worked at multiple tech companies including Microsoft and Amazon and every company has a window each quarter between earnings for selling stock for every employee, including executives.

Edit: Sorry not for every employee. Just for employees that are deemed to have insider information based on what team and work they do for the company. I happened to be on such teams. Elon’s of course, would be on such team haha

Last edited:
It's beta, please be vigilant and keep an eye out for unexpected behavior. I too have arguments with FSD beta daily, but am able to physically overpower it even with atrophy in both arms due to long time nerve pinch in my neck. Pretty sure my Tesla M3 has the same built-in feature to be overpower as in the Teslabot.

Yea that's what I was trying to say in my post. As long as you pay attention, 99.99% of the time you will be able see a mistake coming from a mile away (ok, maybe 20 feet away lol).

Not sure why that post of mine got some disagrees? Do you (people who disagreed) think FSD is perfect? Or you think it will always be the human's fault if FSD causes an accident?

Reactions: navguy12
Elon already said their going to try to flatten the wave in Q4. I read that to mean that they'll pad 2020Q1 deliveries nos. with production drawn from 21Q4, to help lessen the margin impact on opening 2 new Giga factories in 22Q1.

Tesla has recently stated that Giga Berlin will begin production with the high margin Performance Model Y. I'm sure they'll do the same at Giga Texas, but as I've suggested here before this would be the IDEAL time to introduce a "made in Texas" Plaid Model Y. Simple parts swap for the front motor from AC Induction to SRPM (w. carbon ala the Plaid S). That's why the motors use the same castings so the switch can be made seemlessly.

But a Plaid Model Y, Founders Edition, equiped with a 100KWh 4680 bty pack and 760+ hp from two Plaid PM motors would EASILY command a retail price over $100K. There'll be some positive margins in that no matter what the Q1 production numbers, and STILL a faster car than a Ferrari. Want! ;)

Cheers!
Elon has said "we hope to flatten the wave" many times over the years. Yet there are still "waves." I think there will always be "waves" when there are long-distance boat trips for large numbers of vehicles. This will significantly decline when Berlin opens, and while there will still be boat trips to all the places in the southern hemisphere where there are sales, those waves will be "shallower," so we investors may even stop discussing them.

IMO there won't be any Plaid 3 or Y. The flagship vehicles S+X+Roadster will continue to own all the Plaid variants.

I also think they will want to be careful about the roll-out of 4680 and won't want to sing about it from the treetops with a Plaid version. IMO their plan will be to ship less batteries in each car when possible - and get more cars made. Plaid doesn't really achieve that

Last edited:

"Company publicly releases its earnings after the market opens on a Monday, the Window Period would be closed and would remain closed until it opens at the open of the market on Wednesday (assuming no intervening holidays). The Window Period will remain open for a period of 20 full trading days and will close at the end of the 20th day."

But they can still file 10b-1 forms for planned sales beyond this window into December.

• Disagree
Reactions: mongo and MP3Mike
priceshares
pre split
$31.17​
8/13/2012​
pre split
5,274,901​
post split
$6.234​
shares to be exercisedpost split
26,374,505​
shares
Stock11/8/2021M2,154,572A$6.2342,154,572D
$13,431,601.85​
acquired
11/8/2021​
934,091​
D
$1,101,093,923.72​
dispersed
11/9/2021​
3,088,047​
D
$3,353,496,896.10​
dispersed
11/10/2021​
500,000​
D
$527,271,411.03​
dispersed
11/11/2021​
639,737​
D
$687,297,093.55​
dispersed
5,161,875​
D
$5,669,159,324.407​

So from

Noted.

With more Tesla sales, the more Tesla sells, however, so I hope they'll place a service center closer to your abode. (And there's always mobile service as well.)

Second, I think Powerwall 3 will be a game changer and allow for more cost efficient solar installations, which will be key to increase adoption.

Lastly, as for "never" payback periods: for some, it WILL COST MORE to transition to a no-carbon future. Is it too much to ask for those that live in low-solar climates to pay a little extra to stop dumping their GHG's on future generations?

I hate to be blunt, but sometimes (often?) doing the right thing isn't easy, but it MUST still be done. I know we stretched to buy our first Tesla back of 2013, and it was a huge risk as dozens and dozens of car companies have failed over the years, but we spent the money because it was the right thing to do . . . .

My earnest hope is that this sort of thinking, and the joke that is COP26, is what is driving Tesla's massive (and growing) order backlog. People are waking up and realizing that The Problem isn't going to be solved by global "leaders." It's going to be solved by US, personally, not buying fossil fuels, one person at a time.

Yeah, I don't disagree. Currently Tesla Solar and Tesla Powerwalls aren't even available in my area. Maybe someday. My dream is to have a Tesla Solar roof and powerwalls but that will probably be years away due to no availability and $$$.