Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, they are really trying to clear S/X inventory. Either they're trying to meet targets, or this is yet another bread crumb pointing to a refresh. Hard to discern one from the other.

EDIT: Nevermind, misinterpreted. :) With that said, will take the opportunity to make note of a smoking deal on this X100D. Urge to buy so bad. Someone buy it before I convince myself to pull the trigger.

Double edit: It's true!

Holy shi, that is an AMAZING deal!

Reactions: Mobius484
Yes, I get you. But don’t you also agree that if you’re doing short trips, longer range is less important? Each of those stops is a “potential” charge stop, and the vast majority of people (>99% I’m sure) don’t do 9 or more 20 mile drives in a day.

That wasn't the argument being made that I responded to.

Range anxiety is the number one reason I've seen people hesitant to switch. Some of my family asked about the cold impact, and were scared off by it. Doesn't matter if I explain to them how it works, pre-heating the pack, having a garage and being plugged in every night, or that ICE cars get worse range in the winter, too, but most owners don't track it like we track range in a Tesla. It scares some people away.

And after my experience, I wouldn't feel comfortable owning this car without a garage. Some will.

Anyway, I'm not looking to argue with you. I do see your points. I don't like it when other people dismiss someone's experience as 'fake' or 'bullshit' just because they haven't experienced it.

You're looking at the daily chart.

Last week I've sold a 270 put expiring tomorrow. I wonder if it will get exercised...
Lol, the BB don't move by just by displaying a chart.

Here's the 6 month chart. Look in the top left for the red BB values.

Cheers!

sc.TSLA.6-MthChart.2019-03-21.17-33.png

To the owner, it doesn't matter what is causing the extra usages. The reality is that the car has less range in that weather. Sure, drive for several hours, supercharge, and you'll do better, but that isn't the point. If you live in a cold climate and do not have a garage, then less range is a reality for you every day in that weather. I never claimed energy disappeared, as you implied. I'm discussing real world usage, which is what some people are claiming to be bullshit.
We have a heated garage and much less range in winter is still very much a reality.

To the owner, it doesn't matter what is causing the extra usages. The reality is that the car has less range in that weather. Sure, drive for several hours, supercharge, and you'll do better, but that isn't the point. If you live in a cold climate and do not have a garage, then less range is a reality for you every day in that weather. I never claimed energy disappeared, as you implied. I'm discussing real world usage, which is what some people are claiming to be bullshit.
FYI, I would not call others' experience BS as I don't know.
It seems these could be differences-
  • (older) S vs 3
  • Garage(w/ preheating) vs parking outside and starting the car cold
  • Colder temps. I only saw 6F min this winter (one of the trips)
Another point based on my experience- when I'm done skiing and return to the car, it shows ~10 miles less of remaining range than when I parked it. So, it's been in the cold and nothing like 30%.

But then it could be that the first 30-40 miles I go downhill and that helps the battery warm up w/o extra losses? I don't know. I just know it works fine for me overall.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger

But range only matters if you tends to drive longer than that range, where you have to find charging.
If you only to short trips with hours in between to cool off, than the chance of you need charging in the middle of the day is significantly lower, right?

It’s been awhile since I graduated college, but

Asia + North America + Europe = 3 continents, right? Why is Elon saying 2?

Maybe I’m getting the math wrong somewhere.

No push on deliveries in US during Jan/Feb. Likely most sales there happened out of inventory cars, since we know all production was for Europe/China then. Now in March, production has shifted back to N.Am spec cars incl the SR, and a big end-of-Qtr push on deliveries.

Exactly as we said they would do, way back in early January.

Cheers!

Reactions: neroden