Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mary did even more. She made me $97.43 richer today. I just now opened my mailbox for which USPS Informed Delivery indicated was likely a week's worth of junk mail. Instead, one item was a check from GM as settlement for their 2014 ignition switch fiasco involving my 2006 Chevy Cobalt. GM outside attorney Tony Valukas determined the need for this settlement; he was two years ahead of me in our high school.

I still own the car. I may roll it out of the garage tomorrow morning and treat myself to a sumptuous breakfast!

Thank you, Mary Barra. ;)

Wikipedia: General Motors ignition switch recalls

Last edited:
Anyone else starting to feel like Jbcarioca Has a team of researchers and writers creating his posts?
That was how it felt with factchecking - an absolute unit of a TMC writer - the GOAT imo. He occasionally writes amazing stuff as Tesla_truth but it is not the same. Arguably fighting FUD (highly effectively) is a little more important than educating us though....

I mentioned in another thread how Elon's "giving back to society morals" has rubbed off on everyday astronaut "Tim Dodd". There are many more including factchecking, karen, @DaveT , @Papafox etc.

My wife ordered a Model Y LR back in August with expected delivery in December (East Coast). She logged on today for the first time in a couple of months and expected delivery is now June. Has anyone had a similar experience? IIRC @The Accountant ordered a few days later and had expected delivery in January? Has that changed?

Mine is all over the place. I ordered a 7 seater Y with tow hitch back in August with an expected delivery date of December. Since then the delivery date slid to January, then March then May, then last week back up to January, and now to June. I have no idea what’s going on with the timing. I’m not worried about it because I snagged an inventory Model Y the last day of Q3. I just haven’t cancelled my reservation yet.

There are only two possible answers:

1) Cancelled or delayed orders are moving reservations forward
2) Tesla is producing and delivering cars at a faster rate than they projected.

I suspect it has more to do with #2 and less with #1 for the following reason:

The reservations being moved forward have lower prices by a significant amount than Tesla is currently offering for new reservations. I don't suspect too many people who had locked in a lower price and were getting close to delivery would cancel. And then you have the time value of the reservation. A car available now (or soon) is worth more than one available at an indeterminate time in the future.

I think it's pretty clear production numbers are higher than Tesla was projecting when they estimated delivery timelines.
Or some parts supplier came through so they could ramp it up.

Elon chiming in on Mary Barra interview. Andrew Sorkin does raise some compelling questions, but Mary avoids answering any tough questions like a pro:

Mary had to dodge the questions. While they were pretty basic questions any reasonable answer she gave would make GM and/or the POTUS look bad. She did an A-1 job at dodging them, not an easy task for most people. When you are in charge of a failing flailing company you had better have good PR skills. And that, she has.

Mary did even more. She made me $97.43 richer today. I just now opened my mailbox for which USPS Informed Delivery indicated was likely a week's worth of junk mail. Instead, one item was a check from GM as settlement for their 2014 ignition switch fiasco involving my 2006 Chevy Cobalt. GM outside attorney Tony Valukas determined the need for this settlement; he was two years ahead of me in our high school.

I still own the car. I may roll it out of the garage tomorrow morning and treat myself to a sumptuous breakfast!

Thank you, Mary Barra. ;)

Wikipedia: General Motors ignition switch recalls
Well, that’s poor timing on my part. I recently sold my 2005 Cobalt.

Really? That car is ugly! Maybe just a bunch of old people around here, IDK...
Was it those big lights? Or the painted door handles. Hubcaps?
Looks 80's to me. Nice bumper on the doors though.
I'd be bummed if that was my rental car, for an hour.

1638155577706.png

Really? That car is ugly! Maybe just a bunch of old people around here, IDK...
Was it those big lights? Or the painted door handles. Hubcaps?
Looks 80's to me. Nice bumper on the doors though.
I'd be bummed if that was my rental car, for an hour.

View attachment 738477
Inexpensive, and other than possibly killing you, it’s darn reliable and decent mileage.

If you will notice, the timing on all these leaks come right around the day before market opens. Looks like Tesla doesn't do anything on the weekends... KIDDING!

Seeing as @Artful Dodger pointed out a strong overseas market now with factory openings announced soon, we're in for a whopper tomorrow I think. Just a hunch. And then Elon comes in a sells that magical number of chairs. But when he's done and Santa starts showing up, hold on to those shorts.

Forward Observing

My father ~ never voted for a presidential candidate that won. His last seven years as his mind drifted away; I would not allow him to vote. Remember Ross P by the way?

My father wrote an interesting article about taxes in the late eighties and published in, I believe, Money magazine; basically how we could donate money to the government as a tax write off.

He earned his BS (his real initials) degree, in business at USC ~ bill footed by Northrop Corp. He invented a check valve for Northrop. He was the accountant for the Hawthorn Presbytery ~ you know it as SpaceX town. In his early retired years he volunteered to prepare tax statements for elders in Lake Tahoe, CA.

My father was a solidly good human ~ he put this country ahead of personal gain.

While I am adjusting to my new life courtesy of TSLA (employees); I would love to tell my neighbor at the lake (Benson) that this year, and this year alone I will have paid for his air force colonel’s (on list to general) pre tax salary ~ including flight pay. That would be a hit in the shorts from MajorBS (US Army ~ Retired). I hope Elon is paying taxes from a good place, but I DO NOT know. Bottom line ~ he is paying taxes ~ least that’s the story. And, he did not need a note from his doctor about his non-bone spur.

If you did not have this government to complain about, another one would be in its place. Government must have taxes to govern. Always have and always will. Bottom line. . .

It's easier to keep 100 frogs in a wheelbarrow while running down a hill* than it is to keep this thread on topic. Ten more covid posts: executed. Twenty posts about taxes and politics: banned for life to off topic galore. Everybody knows these subjects don't belong here, yet here we are again.
*You didn't write "while wearing klompen". Nevertheless, thanks for the image:)

That was how it felt with factchecking - an absolute unit of a TMC writer - the GOAT imo. He occasionally writes amazing stuff as Tesla_truth but it is not the same. Arguably fighting FUD (highly effectively) is a little more important than educating us though....

I mentioned in another thread how Elon's "giving back to society morals" has rubbed off on everyday astronaut "Tim Dodd". There are many more including factchecking, karen, @DaveT , @Papafox etc.
Yep I do so miss some of those you listed. It sorta hurts to know that some of em hated the site's management more than they loved us.
But Jbcarioca comes at us from so many different angles/subjects. And he's cutting edge as far as "his" (team's) perspective.

Reactions: Thumper and Lessmog
while we are still OT/week end mode.
I called a realtor today. I might be buying an island.
And NO, I am not a Muskenaire...yet.
I used to have a plan of selling my home down here in Florida, and taking the money, and buying a couple of acres in the woods with some water moving through it. I used to comb the realty sites. There was one piece of land that looked ideal. It would have stretched my financial plan. I looked at that piece of property every day until it wasn't on the market any longer. I was aggravated that I didn't make an inquiry ( ie. low-ball em).
Well today (Sunday) I saw it was listed again. I called the Real estate company immediately. He has to talk to the owner.
For some reason real numbers are gauche here so I'll phrase it in terms of savings.
30 months ago it would have cost about a quarter of my savings. Now it costs 1/25th.
It ticks all my boxes..though in reality the island is in the middle of the rocky-bottomed creek and is underwater with any kind of flooding. I'll own the land on each side of it though. And I can do the Alabama Boy Feng Shui of having my cabin with water on the South side of it so on a Winter afternoon I can sit on the porch up against the wall out of the North wind, and catch some Sun directly from the Sun and off the water.
Even crazier is the stone grist mill foundation and dam (re-fit hydro-electric for the home and cyber(nota)truck). The grist mill caught on fire in August of 1948 ( I found the news article already.)
And the other Tesla aspect. It is 29 minutes to Auburn University. Most of it on hwy 280, an easy road for level 3 autonomy.

while we are still OT/week end mode.
I called a realtor today. I might be buying an island.
And NO, I am not a Muskenaire...yet.
I used to have a plan of selling my home down here in Florida, and taking the money, and buying a couple of acres in the woods with some water moving through it. I used to comb the realty sites. There was one piece of land that looked ideal. It would have stretched my financial plan. I looked at that piece of property every day until it wasn't on the market any longer. I was aggravated that I didn't make an inquiry ( ie. low-ball em).
Well today (Sunday) I saw it was listed again. I called the Real estate company immediately. He has to talk to the owner.
For some reason real numbers are gauche here so I'll phrase it in terms of savings.
30 months ago it would have cost about a quarter of my savings. Now it costs 1/25th.
It ticks all my boxes..though in reality the island is in the middle of the rocky-bottomed creek and is underwater with any kind of flooding. I'll own the land on each side of it though. And I can do the Alabama Boy Feng Shui of having my cabin with water on the South side of it so on a Winter afternoon I can sit on the porch up against the wall out of the North wind, and catch some Sun directly from the Sun and off the water.
Even crazier is the stone grist mill foundation and dam (re-fit hydro-electric for the home and cyber(nota)truck). The grist mill caught on fire in August of 1948 ( I found the news article already.)
And the other Tesla aspect. It is 29 minutes to Auburn University. Most of it on hwy 280, an easy road for level 3 autonomy.
I recall seeing a patch of land off Fla coast (west) and water in the middle land on each side for sale (in my search for waterfront property). Not kidding, I was looking around New Port Richey area I think. I used to live in Hudson.

As a kid, the area used to be just fine with a seawall, no floods. When I revisited more recently, the front of my old house had been modified (parts washed away) and many homes were on stilts bc that's the new law there. So I'd be careful, the ocean's coming soon I think. Bring dirt?