Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exuma has the most beautiful beaches though.
But renting is preferred for sure.
Most Exuma beaches are small and often rocky. There is a huge coral reef just outside Georgetown harbor, if it still is there. Very, very few divers so it was still pristine.In a number of other Exi=uma islands, including Clove cay, there are small reefs so a profusion of happy fish inhabitants.

Agree.
When I was younger and just starting to invest (in my 20's), I often made investment decisions based on a television interview with a CEO or analyst . . .or based on a short article in Forbes or Fortune. I quickly learned that was a losing investment strategy; but many people don't learn this lesson. I so often hear from friends and colleagues that they will invest in company xyz based on a soundbite they heard. Many retail investors don't spend the time to really understand the company they are investing in. Many will listen to Mary and invest in GM because they are the leaders in EV.
I wonder about Jim Crammer. He seems to talk like CNBC crowd, then goes off on the true occasionally.
Like his old interview that Curt keeps sharing over the years explaining manipulation. He also raves about TSLA. So with him I never know...

Ok, here it is:
I bought it in 1988 and installed water desalination, 100% solar power (that is a long story, an adventure because almost nobody thought it would work, Instill operates) and a few other things. It is the only privately owned island in the Brigantine cays. The only way in and out real private plane or a commercial flight to a nearby island and a long boat ride. I also installed a gigantic wine cooler. I learned a lot about every efficiency and solar power, it the end it worked perfectly, even in a Cat 5 hurricane. We also used one of the early Iridium satellite phones (the novelty of that meant I lost no clients but the service was VERY laggy. and seriously expensive, but it worked.

Anybody who wants a private island should follow the @lafrisbee example and choose someplace close to facilities and not too exotic. I loved our island, but it was so remote and inaccessible that sometimes a week would pass without a visible passing boat. In an emergency...do not have an emergency. The nearest qualified physician was hours away. FWIW, the Christies photos were taken by my spouse as we were circling the island in our CE525. We planned an airstrip but never built it.

Now we are all in for Tesla and TSLA. Don't ever buy an island unless you can cope with all the hassles and can stand to lose your entire 'investment'. You might end out making money but you'll probably wait a long, long time to sell. It took us 2 1/2 years plus a few months for exchange clearance. In the eventual end ours was profitable. The nearest occupied island to ours was owned by Hume Cronin and Jessica Tandy. Wonderful people but they both died before it sold.

Recommendation: Keep TSLA and rent an island from time to time. It's cheaper, easier and usually fun.
That’s a cool story but people should also know there’s a lot of other island options that aren’t that remote or exotic or extravagant. They should also know that there are options for emergency help that aren’t super expensive; like you can pay a monthly/yearly fee for a medi-chopper.

Obviously, based on the fact most people live in groups of varying sizes, social remoteness doesn’t work for most people. The experiment that’s been running the last two years certainly has reinforced the need for most to have social interaction. But there are a handful of us who were born to thrive in such an environment.

TSLA is affording many people to live as they’ve always dreamed; don’t squash people’s dreams even if they don’t appear practical or didn’t work for you (general).

I rewatched The Big Short over the weekend and it made me mad all over again, but for a different reason. This time I realized how *everyone* was doing the exact same things to Tesla/TSLA and that just like how the shorts almost lost because it took more time for things to correct than it should have because of the fraud going on, it took more time than it should have for longs to be rewarded and along the way some longs didn’t make it.

Since I’m not in the teslanaire club yet, I have to be content with the emotional island I’m building.
I'm no financial expert, but stick around and HODL. Good luck, a little helps!

I did notice there is a very large % technical people on this forum. It was the most amazing thing about the survey for me. No nonsense, smart people that can talk not only Nuts and Bolts, but who made the Nuts and what Bolts to avoid, pun intended.

Can confirm.

In my early 20's I started investing in the stock market and based my picks on:
- financial newspaper articles
- what a friend invested in
- the news

Suffice to say, that didn't work out for me that well. On my winners I took fast profits when they increased in value by 10 or at most 20 %. My losers I kept holding because "it'll go back up again soon, surely".

I lacked a true internalised reason for investing in/believing in the companies I invested in. Therefore I never had faith a large SP rise was permanent. Or I could not evaluate drops correctly given the fact that I lacked understanding of the inner workings.

Fortunately those days are behind me and I didn't have too much to invest back then. I guess it's a learning curve that many face.

And that's why I am 100% in TSLA. I don't have the time (or interest/passion) to understand any other companies the way I do Tesla. If I invested in anything else, I would simply be guessing / following the news.

That’s a cool story but people should also know there’s a lot of other island options that aren’t that remote or exotic or extravagant. They should also know that there are options for emergency help that aren’t super expensive; like you can pay a monthly/yearly fee for a medi-chopper.

Obviously, based on the fact most people live in groups of varying sizes, social remoteness doesn’t work for most people. The experiment that’s been running the last two years certainly has reinforced the need for most to have social interaction. But there are a handful of us who were born to thrive in such an environment.

TSLA is affording many people to live as they’ve always dreamed; don’t squash people’s dreams even if they don’t appear practical or didn’t work for you (general).

I rewatched The Big Short over the weekend and it made me mad all over again, but for a different reason. This time I realized how *everyone* was doing the exact same things to Tesla/TSLA and that just like how the shorts almost lost because it took more time for things to correct than it should have because of the fraud going on, it took more time than it should have for longs to be rewarded and along the way some longs didn’t make it.
I enjoy hearing about other people's experiences both good and bad. It helps me learn and make decisions in my own life. I appreciate what you, jbcarioca and others share with us. I have learned a lot of things, not just all things Tesla, in the TMC forums! Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
I enjoy hearing about other people's experiences both good and bad. It helps me learn and make decisions in my own life. I appreciate what you, jbcarioca and others share with us. I have learned a lot of things, not just all things Tesla, in the TMC forums! Thanks everyone.
So do I. Often when some TSLA topic or another is controversial I know I can always expect differing views. I treasure posters like @Krugerrand and @bkp_duke, among quite a few others who question conventional wisdom regularly and present well reasoned views. When I totally disagree with them I still learn, and change my mind from time to time. Thanks to you both and all the others.