Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are not building more Lightning trucks faster because they don't have the batteries. Ford set up a joint venture with battery cell maker SKI to build 3 GF in the USA to make 129 GWh/year of batteries. The first is expected to come online in 2025.
What happened to them building 200k Lightning in the next six months? Was it not possible to foresee this battery shortage last August?

What happened to them building 200k Lightning in the next six months? Was it not possible to foresee this battery shortage last August?
Was that ever a real projection anywhere? I’ve never heard that, I head they were hoping to build and deliver up to 100K in 2022 AND 2023 combined. Their original projections were for 20K in 2022 only. ..if you could point to a link that would be interesting. And just F-150, not Lightning plus Mach E, etc.

Last edited:
For those of us that can pry their eyes away from the TSLA ticker, The Electric Viking does a good job describing the changes to the Cybertruck from prototype to potential production model. IMHO the latest version looks better than the prototype. Elon has stated there will still be changes and fine tuning of the design, however the Cybertruck is becoming more refined. Understanding how well this pick-up truck will decimate the current ICE line-up of pick-up trucks is fundamental. Note these 22 points are observations from The Electirc Viking based on his interpreation of drone flyover footage readily available on the internet and need to be verified.

Changes include:
1. Larger side windows.
2. Slightly more rounded edges.
3. Different rims.
4. Front lighter up higher.
5. Additional day time running lights below front "lighter".
6. Side mirrors sized for a typical pickup truck.
7. Higher roof line with larger greenhouse (window sizes).
8. Black running boards.
9. More realistic rear bumper
10. Slightly shorter bed (6' from 6-6"? Not sure. If shorter, may be deal breaker for some).
(I'm thinking it may have potential to have the rear seats removed or folded down with the pass-thru to allow for cartage of larger items within the bed, as an extension of the bed).
11. Front windshield is curved (most likely for aerodynamics strength, think arches)
12. Monoarm windshield wiper (regen wiper blade? generate energy during high speeds?)
13. The back seats are clearly open to the bed.
This is huge, If the vault and passenger cabin are open to each other, this puts this vehicle in an entire new class of vehicle, combination of pickup truck, van, and SUV, potential for 3rd row seating, longer carrying bed (jost not both at the same time).
14. The front end looks slightly different.
15. Different tires (more practical).
16. The top front lightbar up higher.
17. The rear bed gate is less angled or nearly vertical.
18. The inside of the bed is molded plastic? or painted?
19. Slightly more rounded edges overall.
20. Three small amber lights at centre of front (May be required for trucks >80" wide.
21. Appears to be slightly smaller and a little bit shorter. (Mostly reduced from the front, so may not impact size of bed. To be verified.
22. Latest prototype appears to have optional solar roof which slightly overhangs the bed (vault).

Last edited:
Elon’s selling pretty much capped it from the start….

1639706727194.png

1639706768807.png

10. Slightly shorter bed (6' from 6-6"? Not sure. If shorter, may be deal breaker for some).

13. The back seats are clearly open to the bed.

I don’t think either one of these is as clear as what he suggests here.

Personally, I would like if this were true, it would make the truck great for over-landing and we don’t really have any EVs which are good at that type of driving. The lack of kitchen/ meal prep area makes it a little less versatile than a van, but it makes up for it with lots of other versatility.

He didn’t mention it, but the whole area around the hitch receiver looks a lot more built out too.

Reactions: JRP3
Screenshot_20211216-184321_thinkorswim.jpg

I've been slowly adding these vertical spreads.
Expiration: Jan 2024
Buy to open: 1 call $2300 strike
Sell to open: 1 call $2475 strike
@ $12.00 limit

At this price each vertical call spread is costing a total of $1,200 with a max profit of $16,300 for about a max 13.5X return. Takes very little buying power and equally low increase in margin requirement if you're using margin.

I believe Tesla will be trading closer to $3,000 by the end of 2023 so I feel comfortable with this trade.

Of note, it is best to close out these vertical spreads close to expiration so that the sale is taxed at long term cap gains (if tax is a concern). If the short (sold call w/ $2475 strike) is assigned and your broker automatically exercises your long call (bought call w/ $2300 strike) this would result in short term capital gains to be assessed.