Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla insurance quote in CA is very cheap, compared to anything else in the market - and frankly I DO NOT want them to deploy the ridiculous Safety Score system for it. Here’s hoping.

Undoubtedly folks who will save a lot will want it, and people who have more fun (or are higher risk drivers) won’t. Not sure if there is an option to have the regular policy and opt out of Safety Score in Texas or Illinois?

Either way, to me it’s the obvious insurance option if you’re expecting FSD/autonomy to mature in the coming years and want to be a part of it as seamlessly as possible. Will be quite a mess for a while with other insurance providers.

It seems to be that Dana Hull is starting to peice together that there are political forces working against Musk and Tesla. This sort of intrugue is a very big story for a journalist. There is so much for her to dig into. Why is it a President who claims to want to boost EV can't bring himself to utter a single word of recognition about the efforts of the number one EV maker in the world that happens to be a US company? I get the impression that Dana sees that the politics here are really off kilter here. Something strange is going on here and her investigative instincts should be driving her to try to find out. If she can lay this bare, it would be the biggest scoop of her career.

This veteran FUDster posted a surprisingly (for her) balanced article in Forbes yesterday. When the classic villains start coming around, you know you’re winning.

Or we could be stop being so sensitive and work on the root problems. I reply here on in ON-TOPIC fashion, though I have other sentiments I would prefer to express.

Elon and Tesla aren't being "cancelled". Those of us who've been posting here and watching Elon religiously for a decade or more have seen FAR FAR greater attacks on both Elon and TSLA. The demonizing going on now is literally laughable in comparison. Elon and Tesla are all but running the world and are now untouchable.

I thought we were supposed to be tough guys that could handle a few erroneous personal attacks without losing our snowflake minds? None of this current barrage will have any effect on Elon or Tesla or TSLA. If anything it's free PR for just how "correct" Elon and Tesla are. You WANT people having this conversation.
I work with intelligent, educated people who have told me they would never buy a Tesla because of the X,Y or Z they heard. I'm sure I don't live in a bubble filled with suckers. This is sentiment that can be found everywhere.

I've been invested in Tesla and on this site since 2013 and my observation is the demonizing has only increased. Especially after the success of the last two years.

Undoubtedly folks who will save a lot will want it, and people who have more fun (or are higher risk drivers) won’t. Not sure if there is an option to have the regular policy and opt out of Safety Score in Texas or Illinois?

Either way, to me it’s the obvious insurance option if you’re expecting FSD/autonomy to mature in the coming years and want to be a part of it as seamlessly as possible. Will be quite a mess for a while with other insurance providers.

Seriously doubt Tesla is going to cover drivers who opt out of safety score. That is their competitive advantage. It’s in their best interest to send drivers with crappy safety scores to other insurers.

The only way it would make sense would be to price the alternative insurance at the same rate they would price the bad driver insurance. Otherwise bad drivers would just switch to it and good drivers would stick with the safety score insurance.

If they do / did, they really need to fix things like the frequent and irrational FCW issue that was rampant back in September / October, or the hard turning, or deciding to brake for a yellow light, etc.. to get constantly dinged for that and charged a penalty/premium just is not acceptable. The way one needed to drive in order to now lower their Safety Score was worse and more dangerous than the alternative. And, I'm not talking about hot rodding or racing off a line or taking the apex somewhere, just regular high quality safe driving but not doing it as if you have a fully open Starbucks venti coffee filled to the rim and sitting on the dash. that sort of driving is not in anyones best interest

I find the larger story behind Elon's comment directed at (Lack of) Joy Reid pretty noteworthy for anyone that has followed the attacks on Elon on Twitter and in the media over the last decade. At 1:30 into the linked NYP article containing a video clip of the Joy Reid's 'show' where she hosted Sen Warren on MSNBC Joy Reid accuses Elon of:

“misappropriating black vernacular for misogynistic purposes

And then the good Senator piles on with socially conditioning comments regarding the sources of Elon's subsidies for his business ventures coming from the taxes of "waitresses and school teachers." This later comment was very much intended to anger the working women tuning into (Lack of) Joy's show. Here is the link to the Post article:

This was predictable. We saw similar tactics used when the early 'journalist' attack dogs on Twitter of Elon were Lynette Lopes, Lora Kolodany, and Dana Hull, and many of us on TMC were angered that such a disingenuous tactic would be intentionally deployed against Elon so that any response from him could be couched as a misogynistic response to further discredit the man. It is a disgusting tactic, but apparently it must be somewhat effective towards a base of followers unwilling to be critical of their own team. So it was with no stretch of the imagination that I was certain we would see it used once again against Elon following his 'Karen' comment of Sen Warren, and I posted that here on TMC at the time. Not having cable or satellite TV here on our very rural homestead (a habit I grew quite fond of in rural Alaska), I am probably a little late to this news as usual. But having been immediately accused by @TheTalkingMule of spending too much of my time in front of a TV trying to manifest such things after I suggested we would see Elon attacked in such a way I thought this clip of Joy in the NYP article would be worth posting.

View attachment 745299

For the record, I too was very supportive of the Progressive movement early on, primarily because they appeared to embrace The Green New Deal. It was of course challenging for me to become critical of the team I had placed my bets on to advance a more sustainable future. A very senior colleague at the Alaska Dept of Fish and Game had once told me that the definition of Critical Thinking was being willing to change your mind about something you had once felt very strongly about. A simple definition, but one that seems to be very applicable all across the news these days. And the content of just about every Tesla YouTube video posted here since Robert Reich went off the deep end on Elon months ago would have been hard to imagine only a couple years ago, as they are all critical of the people we thought would be the ones to embrace and propel Tesla forward in a new political paradigm, and many of them focus on a newfound support of Elon/Tesla by the right - in part for Elon's unwillingness to be bullied, and for Tesla's ability to make more economically competitive energy products. Time has proven the ideals that many of us felt strongly about only a year or two ago were not accurate. Those ideals were based on our perception of the information available to us at the time, so there are of course many reasons why we could have formed inaccurate perceptions about those attacking Elon and Tesla now. But the only thing constant is change. The people that are attacking Elon, and Tesla, and over 100,000 dedicated Tesla employees, and everyone who is a Long investor in Tesla now in very underhanded ways are not the people we thought would be doing so a couple years ago. It was @SPadival who helped me see through some of this faster than I would likely have been able to on my own - thanks Brother. It is very liberating to move past a constraining thought or ideal.

And it was @heltok who posted not long ago (paraphrasing) that Elon has decided to go it alone and let simple economics be the propulsion behind the product instead of people or party just as Elon stated that he thought the BBB should be canned. Nice call @heltok

I would much prefer @TheTalkingMule could accuse me of trying to manifest $1,800 of higher for TSLA by the end of 2022 in an effort to double our next Roth and 501c3 rollovers in early 2022........................I promise I will do my best!
Adding to this wonderfully thoughtful post, at some point it no longer makes sense on any level to continue to take the high road when you’re constantly being disparaged, which is what I read here often. How Elon should react/respond in a manner deemed more mature by them than he did.

How about those who think that way go walk a mile in his shoes for a while and see how long they’re willing to be treated like a doormat. I guarantee they couldn’t take half the crap Elon does before losing their cool.

If they do / did, they really need to fix things like the frequent and irrational FCW issue that was rampant back in September / October, or the hard turning, or deciding to brake for a yellow light, etc.. to get constantly dinged for that and charged a penalty/premium just is not acceptable. The way one needed to drive in order to now lower their Safety Score was worse and more dangerous than the alternative. And, I'm not talking about hot rodding or racing off a line or taking the apex somewhere, just regular high quality safe driving but not doing it as if you have a fully open Starbucks venti coffee filled to the rim and sitting on the dash. that sort of driving is not in anyones best interest

With all due respect, it doesn’t seem too difficult to imagine how they will improve the product based on the data and sensors at hand, and the situational awareness the cars are developing. The scoring algorithm will continue to be refined. As Elon said, it’s literally alpha right now. Tesla has the fleet and data to be able to determine exactly which driving behaviors correlate with accidents. At a certain point, that’s going to be the final word on driver risk, because it will be entirely evidence-based from actual driving habits. Obviously no other insurance provider or OEM will have this for a long time to come.

Just like FSD, does that mean it’s ready or right for a given consumer right this second? Up to you to decide. But as an investor, it should be pretty clear where we’re headed.

Or we could be stop being so sensitive and work on the root problems. I reply here on in ON-TOPIC fashion, though I have other sentiments I would prefer to express.

Elon and Tesla aren't being "cancelled". Those of us who've been posting here and watching Elon religiously for a decade or more have seen FAR FAR greater attacks on both Elon and TSLA. The demonizing going on now is literally laughable in comparison. Elon and Tesla are all but running the world and are now untouchable.

I thought we were supposed to be tough guys that could handle a few erroneous personal attacks without losing our snowflake minds? None of this current barrage will have any effect on Elon or Tesla or TSLA. If anything it's free PR for just how "correct" Elon and Tesla are. You WANT people having this conversation.
You’re rather judgy.

For the record, there’s a middle ground. A point of balance. One neither has to be a snowflake nor an insensitive rock.

I’m one of the least sensitive humans on this forum and yet even I can understand it’s not about the specific attack but rather the culmination of attacks day in and day out.

TLDR: Once you buy a Tesla you're hooked.

An hour ago I was walking home from my local bar. Its a 5 minute walk. I saw a grey Model 3 reversing into a cul de sac near where I live, and I was interested. Anyway, I followed it down the road to have a chat with the driver (a "Tesla stalker" as my wife calls me). Previously there had been a white Model 3 parked outside the house. The driver was a nice bloke in his 60s and was happy to chat. He had picked up his new car today! He said it was the best car he's ever had and the reason he got a replacement now, was because of the >300 mile range. There is a kind of camaraderie amongst Tesla drivers. I'm on my first but I can't envisage buying any other make. Young or old, car buyers know a good car when they drive one and once you're in, you're in .

With all due respect, it doesn’t seem too difficult to imagine how they will improve the product based on the data and sensors at hand, and the situational awareness the cars are developing. The scoring algorithm will continue to be refined. As Elon said, it’s literally alpha right now. Tesla has the fleet and data to be able to determine exactly which driving behaviors correlate with accidents. At a certain point, that’s going to be the final word on driver risk, because it will be entirely evidence-based from actual driving habits. Obviously no other insurance provider or OEM will have this for a long time to come.

Just like FSD, does that mean it’s ready or right for a given consumer right this second? Up to you to decide. But as an investor, it should be pretty clear where we’re headed.
It's a shame they put the intern they weren't intending to hire full time on this. The alpha version is a copy paste of the offering that every insurance company already offers if you want to plug something into your car to prove you are a "safe driver." It's been 3 months now, where are the improvements?

TLDR: Once you buy a Tesla you're hooked.

An hour ago I was walking home from my local bar. Its a 5 minute walk. I saw a grey Model 3 reversing into a cul de sac near where I live, and I was interested. Anyway, I followed it down the road to have a chat with the driver (a "Tesla stalker" as my wife calls me). Previously there had been a white Model 3 parked outside the house. The driver was a nice bloke in his 60s and was happy to chat. He had picked up his new car today! He said it was the best car he's ever had and the reason he got a replacement now, was because of the >300 mile range. There is a kind of camaraderie amongst Tesla drivers. I'm on my first but I can't envisage buying any other make. Young or old, car buyers know a good car when they drive one and once you're in, you're in .

It's telling that I kind of want to replace my 2020 Model X with a refresh version for the new interior, faster CPU, and other small improvements like reduced cabin noise, etc. Never would have done that before!

Adding to this wonderfully thoughtful post, at some point it no longer makes sense on any level to continue to take the high road when you’re constantly being disparaged, which is what I read here often. How Elon should react/respond in a manner deemed more mature by them than he did.

How about those who think that way go walk a mile in his shoes for a while and see how long they’re willing to be treated like a doormat. I guarantee they couldn’t take half the crap Elon does before losing their cool.

Agree with the post, with the difference that I don't think Elon is losing his cool. In fact, there is, I am very sure, a lot of method to his "madness". Him, very and consistently wittily I might add, frontally and uncompromisingly attacking the schoolyard bullies garners a lot of positive will to him and Tesla among the wider populace. It also exposes the bullies as emperors with no clothes and no integrity, with very little if any sense, and makes the bullies much more cautious in further attacks on Elon/Tesla/Spacex.

I really think the bullies (moderators, look how I am nicely avoiding names ;-) ) had a pretty advanced plan to control/curb Tesla, with key movements made regarding closing down the FSD programme, and stimulating the competing companies that give their lunch money to the bullies. A plan that in many ways is either on hold now or has been cancelled.

Last edited:
It's a shame they put the intern they weren't intending to hire full time on this. The alpha version is a copy paste of the offering that every insurance company already offers if you want to plug something into your car to prove you are a "safe driver." It's been 3 months now, where are the improvements?

They have to start somewhere. The copy-paste seems like a logical set of assumptions to improve from as you build the fleet data. You need a lot of miles and a lot of accidents…even a fleet of 2M cars is kind of small if it isn’t experiencing a lot of the adverse outcome in question (at fault accidents).

Reactions: JusRelax
How do you know it hasnt improved? I would imagine most of the improvements will occur on the back end and we wont even know it in the app.

Pushing back up over $950. There was so much talk of 800's here last night, I figured we'd get a solid green day today. Seems like the movements have been unusually unpredictable the last couple of weeks. Can't wait to cross that $1000 threshold again.
My up-to-the-T.I.T.S. leverage concurs with this...

Agree with the post, with the difference that I don't think Elon is losing his cool. In fact, there is, I am very sure, a lot of method to his "madness". Him, very and consistently wittily I might add, frontally and uncompromisingly attacking the schoolyard bullies garners a lot of positive will to him and Tesla among the wider populace. It also exposes the bullies as emperors with no clothes and no integrity, with very little if any sense, and makes the bullies much more cautious in further attacks on Elon/Tesla/Spacex. I really think the bullies (moderators, look how I am nicely avoiding names ;-) ) had a pretty advanced plan to control/curb Tesla, with key movements made regarding closing down the FSD programme, and stimulating the competing companies that give their lunch money to the bullies.
I agree to an extent, but I really dont know why he doesnt publicly challenge some of the people. Now I am very progressive, but differ with some that seem to think that combatting climate change cant make people very rich. Sorry that doesnt fly. Innovators should be reward. I believe in aggressive changes to make taxation more equitable, but dont believe in taxing unrealized gains. Its the abusive little known loopholes and financial instruments that need to be regulated differently. The IRS should get higher budgets to go after more complex scenarios that wealthier people employ.

I do think Elon should respond to Bernie with a public "Hey Bernie, lets sit down and talk about how Tesla is combatting climate change and see what we can do together." Need to separate the combatting climate change from the using Elon as the boogie man for taxing billionaires.

I do think Elon should publicly invited President Biden for the grand opening of the worlds largest Electric Vehicle factory in Austin Texas. Has the added benefit of having to bring Texas Governor together with President Biden. Abbott will hate that and President Biden will have to do a press event with Tesla.

I do think Elon challenges liberal minded people so that conservative minded people dont think Elon really cares about the environment as much as he does. The people I have taken the most flack from for owning electric vehicles are conservative family members.

It seems to me that all of us have had that opportunity recently yet I’ve been reading very little other than a whole lot of caterwauling. The serious point being - those same employees also have seen their extant holdings walloped by that same discount, with all the implications that bears.
The main point I was trying to make is that there is a year end discretionary bonus in addition to the two opportunities to buy at a discount during the year. Many public companies have similar plans where employees can buy stock at a discount.

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton