Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time for Elizabeth to Shut the Front Door
I am totally in favor of corporations and individuals paying their fair share, but Elizabeth Warren attacking innovators such as Musk (who will be paying $15 billion in taxes this year - more than anyone in history has EVER paid) is beyond the pale. I think fighting for the people is admirable, but making s*** up is not. Simply greedy and ignorant.

This is a lengthy, but very, very informative video on the spat between MUSK and WARREN, outlining the FACTS in the matter and Tesla's impact on the economy.

youtube.com/watch?v=V5fG0oZMr-I&t=604s
She obviously doesn't follow Elon closely and only knows what's happened in the past. I doubt she would have said what she did if she knew what is currently taking place.

Last edited:
You mean in terms of a sell block of 934k should only account for a 1-2% drop? That's just doing basic math on the amount of shares traded daily, even when you factor that 50% of the trading is the same share being sold over and over again.
no, when you mentioned when he's 82-88% done sentiment could possibly change from wait and see to FOMO

I expect a lot of rebalancing among passive funds to occur at the closing cross. The liquidity would provide an excellent opportunity for Elon's broker to sell. I'm really hoping we see at least another tranch - if not two - sold off today.

All I want for Christmas is for Elon to have scheduled all of his remaining shares to be sold today ;)

Congrats to all those who got in at the 'gap-filled' price point ($910 on Oct 25, see 2nd chart below) :D

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2021-12-17.10-55.png

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2021-12-16.20-00.50d.png

Cheers!

Today's 7:00 a.m. update for TSLA Options Open Interest is out now (please see the chart attached below). Based on "Call - Put" for each contract strike price (2nd Column from the Right), it appears that Options Market Makers will have strong motivation to push today's Closing SP toward $950.

I expect strong buying interest into a Close at ~$950. Not advice, just my opinions based on what I see. Do your own research. Look both ways b4 crossing the Street. GLTA!
Now how about that...

I keep having this discussion with investment minded friends. Yeah things are shaky and look overvalued, but are they really, and if they are, where else will you put your cash? Yes inflation hurts growth stocks, but equities are priced in USD so an inflated dollar translates into inflation in stock prices.

Beyond that, ok so you sell and go to cash. Now you are looking at a negative real return of 5% or worse. Bonds pay almost nothing. Gold is flat to down. Crypto is flat to down. Real Estate is sky high already. Cash is just waiting for some signal to get off the sidelines in my opinion.
You have to remember that inflation is measured against last year when we fell into a recession due to the pandemic. Inflation measured over a two year period would not look anywhere near as bad.

no, when you mentioned when he's 82-88% done sentiment could possibly change from wait and see to FOMO

Well that's just the game of chicken amongst Wall St. When you get to say 88% done selling, everyone knows he's close to wrapping up and all the buying money that has been sitting on the sidelines will be trigger happy.

Then you have all of the hedge funds and MM's that are shorting and naked shorting getting an itchy finger to cover because they don't want to be caught in their short position.

Then add into the mixture that everyone knows there's only a certain amount of time left before Q4 P/D numbers.

I think once we get to say 88% done selling, you'll see the biggest jumps in share price on the final two days that Elon is selling. No one's going to wait until he hits 100% to pile back into the stock. Anyone waiting until 100% are going to be late to the rally party.

"Those new vehicles -- and all GM's EVs going forward -- have a different battery from the Bolt, dubbed Ultium, which promises superior performance. But that will make it difficult for GM to sell Bolts with an inferior battery, even if the fire problem is fixed."

The Ultium still uses the same large format pouch cells.
I would say the test truck in the video has a cabin that is clearly open to the bed area (above the seats). But more telling as to what this might become is the look of the bulkhead between the bed and cabin (immediately aft of the rear seatbacks). It's thick looking in a way that makes me think it's not fixed to the sides of the vehicle. I believe what we have here is a motorized bulkhead that adjusts from a large crew cab pickup with a 6-foot bed to a work truck with an 8-foot bed. It is likely the climate control can heat the entire vault too which will allow it to replace a lot of large SUV's. Whatever is going on here it's leveraging the construction of the Cybertruck and its electric powertrain to do things no traditional pickup could possibly do. The limitation of a traditional pickup when it comes to things like this is the frame is flexy and twists on uneven ground causing the bed and the cab to move independently of one another while the Cybertruck will be solid and rigid with very minimal flex, even with 3500 lbs. of payload inside. That rigidity is what allows Tesla to do things no one has attempted previously. In mild weather, the Cybertruck will also be able to operate in modes that would cause carbon monoxide poisoning if it had a tailpipe.

I truly believe that Tesla is creating a wondertruck here that will stun the world with its jaw-dropping functionality and all-around abilities. Not just specs on paper but real-world awesomeness. Even some diehard TSLAQ are going to want one of their own once they pick their jaws up off the ground. Unfortunately, most of them won't have a spare $60K laying around. This will likely become the best-selling pickup in America.

Yes, it has slightly softer lines, smaller, less aggressive wheels and tires, and is a little more compact overall but it's still a very large vehicle on the inside and versatile in ways people have only dreamed of. Until now. Legacy pickups are going to quickly look very 'frumpy' to most people.
Much like a Chevy Avalanche was 10 years ago. Good idea,bit didn’t sell well.

Kinda looks like Elon is in fact selling today.

That pattern looks very familiar….only difference is there’s buying volume to counter it
One wonders if the selling (and the corresponding buying) instructions in Musk's selling plan go like this, so as to minimise chance of information leakage:

Divide into n tranches.
Start on X day, with aim to complete by Y day.
On each day roll a dice. In early weeks do not roll on Fridays. In very early weeks do not roll on Mondays.
If a 6 is rolled then sell one tranche that day.
(after a while, then start rolling on Mondays as well)
(after a while then start rolling on Fridays as well)
If insufficient days left to sell all n tranches by Y day then close out with double tranche selling until cleaned out.

She obviously doesn't follow Elon closely and only knows what's happened in the past. I doubt she would have said what she did if she knew what is currently taking place.
Exactly. Til this point, Elon has paid basically zero federal tax relative to his wealth. Maybe 1-3% of $300B. That's a problem.

Is she expressing it properly? No.
Is she working towards a better solution that status quo? TBD.

If Elon weren't the Technoking and a wonderful person, and were in fact a more traditional corporate industrial billionaire scumbag, he could easily continue to pay very minimal taxes. Bezos paid .98% from 2014-18. Fortunately for us, the country, and the world he isn't, but senators deal in policy, not deciding one at a time who deserves to pay what in taxes.

Asperger's folks DO NOT like unfairness. And it is entirely unfair Elon gets demonized for simply following the tax code. But that's one of the burdens of being a billionaire and Elon just needs to get over it. Feel free to snipe back when someone pokes you, but at some point constructive conversation needs to lead to better policy.

Last edited:
You have to remember that inflation is measured against last year when we fell into a recession due to the pandemic. Inflation measured over a two year period would not look anywhere near as bad.
Not sure what you mean. It's not like we had deflation at that time. I think the problem with cash happens regardless though. Rates have a long way to go before cash might make sense.
1639760605615.png

LIDAR is the future (for Arborists). Unfortunately, the safety driver (a lone occupant) was seriously injured in the crash.

Cheers!
Obv I can't celebrate anyone being hurt, but I've been told (insulted) so many times about how safety drivers are superior because they are trained. Unlike idiot Tesla drivers.

olli-shuttle-crash-678x381.jpg

LIDAR is the future (for Arborists). Unfortunately, the safety driver (a lone occupant) was seriously injured in the crash.

Cheers!
Indeed, this IS a "Dangerous Experiment".

Cheers!
Ouch! I just saw one on Wednesday for the first time and thought "cool".
Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 11.58.33 AM.png

These shuttles are calleed Olli 2.0, manufactured by Local Motors (LM Industries). Head Office in Chandler, Arizona, US prototyping in San Jose California.

The Whitby, Ontario, CA vehicles travel on a pre-determined 3.7 mile route at a maximum speed of 12 miles/hr. Intent is eventually for no human interaction, however these have human drivers during this testing state. This simply shows how hard autonomous driving is, and how far advanced Tesla has become.

Cheers!
What does the safety driver do if it doesn’t involve dodging trees?

Good thing it wasn’t a pedestrian.