Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously doubt Tesla is going to cover drivers who opt out of safety score. That is their competitive advantage. It’s in their best interest to send drivers with crappy safety scores to other insurers.

The only way it would make sense would be to price the alternative insurance at the same rate they would price the bad driver insurance. Otherwise bad drivers would just switch to it and good drivers would stick with the safety score insurance.
Not to get into the details of insurance, but they still wouldn't even want them as customers at the same price. If insurance Co X has a rate of $100 as the average risk of it's customers, then Tesla won't want a "bad driver's" business for $100 because that particular driver should be $150. We are just going to accept that if you drive in a risky manner, you will pay more.

Reactions: Ogre
I work with intelligent, educated people who have told me they would never buy a Tesla because of the X,Y or Z they heard. I'm sure I don't live in a bubble filled with suckers. This is sentiment that can be found everywhere.

I've been invested in Tesla and on this site since 2013 and my observation is the demonizing has only increased. Especially after the success of the last two years.
I hear the same thing about Apple products all the time. People just hate them for whatever reason. Hasn’t stopped them from becoming the largest company in the world by market cap. So I wouldn’t worry too much about what those around you are saying.

Not to get into the details of insurance, but they still wouldn't even want them as customers at the same price. If insurance Co X has a rate of $100 as the average risk of it's customers, then Tesla won't want a "bad driver's" business for $100 because that particular driver should be $150. We are just going to accept that if you drive in a risky manner, you will pay more.
That’s exactly my thought.

If low risk drivers gravitate towards the safety score based insurance, the drivers who remain are by definition the ones who are the riskiest. Let those guys go or charge them through the nose for insurance.

I think Tesla’s ultimate goal is to encourage people to use FSD and Autopilot for almost all driving. Then as Tesla improves the safety and performance of those technologies, their insurance rates can decline.

There is a weird dynamic here too. At some point is it going to make sense for Tesla insurance to pay for FSD?

Tesla Insurance now available in Illinois. Just switched.

So about $200 cheaper then progressive for a 2015 Model S and a 2018 Model 3. Starts with safety score of 90. Dont know if 2015 Model S supports updating of safety score. We will see. That $200 is based on paying premiums in full every 6 months with progressive and Tesla Insurance monthly. No option other than monthly. Dont see insurance cards in the app. Will Tesla send them in the mail?

Oh also since we use an M1 Visa to pay the insurance we get a 10% reward from M1 since we hold Tesla stock.
Had their insurance almost since day one and until Octoberish when we sold both our S and X.

We were saving I think about $750 annually compared to Farmers. Payment was monthly via ApplePay. So only 2% for me.

Paper? Nah. Everything be digital.

I agree to an extent, but I really dont know why he doesnt publicly challenge some of the people. Now I am very progressive, but differ with some that seem to think that combatting climate change cant make people very rich. Sorry that doesnt fly. Innovators should be reward. I believe in aggressive changes to make taxation more equitable, but dont believe in taxing unrealized gains. Its the abusive little known loopholes and financial instruments that need to be regulated differently. The IRS should get higher budgets to go after more complex scenarios that wealthier people employ.

I do think Elon should respond to Bernie with a public "Hey Bernie, lets sit down and talk about how Tesla is combatting climate change and see what we can do together." Need to separate the combatting climate change from the using Elon as the boogie man for taxing billionaires.

I do think Elon should publicly invited President Biden for the grand opening of the worlds largest Electric Vehicle factory in Austin Texas. Has the added benefit of having to bring Texas Governor together with President Biden. Abbott will hate that and President Biden will have to do a press event with Tesla.

I do think Elon challenges liberal minded people so that conservative minded people dont think Elon really cares about the environment as much as he does. The people I have taken the most flack from for owning electric vehicles are conservative family members.

Honestly, I think you are being naive about the motivation of the schoolyard bullies. That attacks on Elon have been, from day one the bullies entered the school, very pointed, coordinated, and relentless. You believe the bullies have, at some level, good intentions. I believe most of their intensions are purely financial self interest. Talk is a waste of time, it would be just political posturing by all sides - and the bullies will not change their mind, as their pockets are not filled by Elon, but by companies and interests that are threatened by Elon. Elon tried something like you suggested, like agreeing to interviews from NY Times, having a dedicated pr department to combat the FUD - all produced nothing good. Because the interests are different - if he paid the articles, like everybody else does, then the coverage would be positive - but also ineffective/just another useless GM style fluff piece.

And in fact by going his way, ignoring the media, the media attacks have become less and less effective, and lately in fact some of the Media realizes that good stories about Elon are good for them too - it differentiates them from the crowd in a good way - hence the Time etc person of the year.

I suspect pretty soon something similar will also happen with the schoolyard bullies - sooner or later they will come to Elon, groveling for positive attention.

I want to know when Elon is done selling.

8CA60B8D-ACF0-4C4E-BDBD-6F018F6B7A24.gif

I work with intelligent, educated people who have told me they would never buy a Tesla because of the X,Y or Z they heard. I'm sure I don't live in a bubble filled with suckers. This is sentiment that can be found everywhere.

I've been invested in Tesla and on this site since 2013 and my observation is the demonizing has only increased. Especially after the success of the last two years.
Lol....demand problems! :rolleyes:

It takes two to FUD, one to spout it and another to accept it as real. Do not engage! Stop watching television.

Reactions: Skryll

And yet you have to wait almost a year to get the most popular Tesla config.......I would say the people you know/work with are their own echo chamber.

Sure there are people out there that dislikes Tesla's or Elon but the data points to them being the minority by far. My own personal experience is the exact opposite of yours. The dislike of Tesla's has gone down dramatically.

olli-shuttle-crash-678x381.jpg

LIDAR is the future (for Arborists). Unfortunately, the safety driver (a lone occupant) was seriously injured in the crash.

Cheers!
I am more confused about the safety driver that could not react to safely save himself. What is the point of these safety drivers? The whole rrason some HATE FSD is the lack of professional safety drivers. Looks to me like Tesla beta tester are doing a better job.

I am not saying either is bad or good, I guess. Just that governments should be Ble to see either style is at least equal.

It's telling that I kind of want to replace my 2020 Model X with a refresh version for the new interior, faster CPU, and other small improvements like reduced cabin noise, etc. Never would have done that before!
Yes. I'm dying to upgrade my 2018 3. The only reason I'm not is because I have a tri (quad) motor CT on order along with a Roadster. Need to save those pennies. Well, and some other toys were purchased this year as well.

You’re rather judgy.

For the record, there’s a middle ground. A point of balance. One neither has to be a snowflake nor an insensitive rock.

I’m one of the least sensitive humans on this forum and yet even I can understand it’s not about the specific attack but rather the culmination of attacks day in and day out.
Wait what, you're human!!? :p

Honestly, I think you are being naive about the motivation of the schoolyard bullies. That attacks on Elon have been, from day one the bullies entered the school, very pointed, coordinated, and relentless. You believe the bullies have, at some level, good intentions. I believe most of their intensions are purely financial self interest. Talk is a waste of time, it would be just political posturing by all sides - and the bullies will not change their mind, as their pockets are not filled by Elon, but by companies and interests that are threatened by Elon. Elon tried something like you suggested, like agreeing to interviews from NY Times, having a dedicated pr department to combat the FUD - all produced nothing good. Because the interests are different - if he paid the articles, like everybody else does, then the coverage would be positive - but also ineffective/just another useless GM style fluff piece.

And in fact by going his way, ignoring the media, the media attacks have become less and less effective, and lately in fact some of the Media realizes that good stories about Elon are good for them too - it differentiates them from the crowd in a good way - hence the Time etc person of the year.

I suspect pretty soon something similar will also happen with the schoolyard bullies - sooner or later they will come to Elon, groveling for positive attention.
Who said media? I said people like Bernie and President Biden. Make the discussion open for media to film and thats that. I dont see the financial self interest Bernie gets from saying things about not combatting climate change or Biden ignoring Tesla. It is very clear why Biden is ignoring Tesla. It is voters in the rust belt thinking about themselves. Biden putting Elon on a pedestal just gives ammo for GOP to say Biden is hurting jobs in the rust belt. Democrats wont lose California by pumping up Ford and GM. Biden wont get Texas by pumping up Tesla.