Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course we are all entitled to hold our opinions. It seems they differ on this point. (Refer to NYT, LAT, CNBS most of the time, etc) since at least 2013 and almost never letting up. No, it's not just anti-Musk. The man is a Disruptor of gargantuan size. IMO. YMMV.
fair enough on the long list, but it is not coordinated. he does say and do more than a few things that would bring heat down. His disruptions aren’t just limited to to his noble and/or interesting endeavors. none of the attention, good, bad or indifferent seems to affect his approach to life or operating the companies.

Elon has a very large number of followers on Twitter. Politicians (who otherwise ignore Elon) exploit this by their attacks. Suddenly the number of eyeballs hearing from that politician multiplies x-fold, possibly by 1 or 2 orders of magnitude. That is how you do marketing.
Greenpeace attacked Apple over Environmental issues. Apple was certainly not bad let alone the worst, but attacking Apple guaranteed publicity.
Just like you don’t hear complaints about other EV manufacturers using cobalt. You hear it in combination with Tesla (the company that worked really hard to find compositions that use less of it).
Politicians should work for the common good, but as the (brilliant and highly recommended) book The Dictator’s handbook by Bueno de Mesquita et al explains: politicians are there to remain in power and satisfy the needs of the minimum of recipients to stay there.

With all due respect, I think you’re being a bit naive. Politicians want to demagogue people. It’s how they keep their base together. Identify an enemy and vilify them. Trump did this famously with illegal immigrants. Biden and other progressives have long attacked wealthy people. Bernie and Biden have no intention ever talking to Elon, all they want to do is attack him, whether it makes sense or not.
Yes and publicly inviting President Biden to visit the Gigafactory opening puts it on Biden. Same with a public discussion with Bernie about what is happening and what isnt on climate change puts it on Bernie.

Elon has a very large number of followers on Twitter. Politicians (who otherwise ignore Elon) exploit this by their attacks. Suddenly the number of eyeballs hearing from that politician multiplies x-fold, possibly by 1 or 2 orders of magnitude.
Greenpeace attacked Apple over. Apple was certainly not bad let alone the worst, but attacking Apple guaranteed publicity.
Politicians should work for the common good, but as the (brilliant and highly recommended) book The Dictator’s handbook by Bueno de Mesquita et al explains: politicians are there to remain in power and satisfy the needs of the minimum of recipients to stay there.

I don't want to get flagged for posting about politics, so I'll just keep this short n sweet. Some might agree, some might not.

But this assault on Elon, especially now that he can say he's paying the most taxes in US history, is backfiring on all of the Democrats that are attacking him or ignoring him. I've been tracking sentiment on twitter and also just in the circles I'm around that's a VERY pro liberal/Democratic part of the country and this assualt on Elon is backfiring

Elon has a very large number of followers on Twitter. Politicians (who otherwise ignore Elon) exploit this by their attacks. Suddenly the number of eyeballs hearing from that politician multiplies x-fold, possibly by 1 or 2 orders of magnitude. That is how you do marketing.
Greenpeace attacked Apple over Environmental issues. Apple was certainly not bad let alone the worst, but attacking Apple guaranteed publicity.
Just like you don’t hear complaints about other EV manufacturers using cobalt. You hear it in combination with Tesla (the company that worked really hard to find compositions that use less of it).
Ah man. I don't know what to say. Getting to political mudslinging and Elon is not even running for office.

Reactions: Lessmog
This is not a great strategy. Or at least not how it’s been recently illustrated.

Essentially it has turned my otherwise positive image of some political figures into quite negative.

The recent example where a popular senator was trashing Musk about taxes even as he is selling billions of dollars worth of shares which will generate billions in tax revenue… that’s not smart marketing.

Likewise, politicians saying we don’t need billionaires running the space program which was previously run by far less efficient billionaires.

These are politicians I am otherwise largely compatible with. They have shifted my view from positive to neutral at best.

I don't want to get flagged for posting about politics, so I'll just keep this short n sweet. Some might agree, some might not.

But this assault on Elon, especially now that he can he's paying the most taxes in US history, is backfiring on all of the Democrats that are attacking him or ignoring him. I've been tracking sentiment on twitter and also just in the circles I'm around that's a VERY pro liberal/Democratic part of the country and this assualt on Elon is backfiring

In fact, an analysis showed that a very large majority of independents support Elon vs the schoolyrd bullies. Thus the attacks on Elon are a catastrophic political error, for it is the sentiment of the independents that mostly control the winner of the elections. And boy does Elon kick ass in that demographic. A wise schoolyard bully would align with Elon, but wise they are not...

fair enough on the long list, but it is not coordinated. he does say and do more than a few things that would bring heat down. His disruptions aren’t just limited to to his noble and/or interesting endeavors. none of the attention, good, bad or indifferent seems to affect his approach to life or operating the companies.
Now, this is veering off-topic.
But it seems to me that Elon trudging on so apparently unperturbed by the constant attacks confuses those who attack. They are used to meeting a different response (like suicide?) and don't understand why Elon just will not go away and let them evil on. Also, some attackers are simply not sophisticated enough to grasp what he is doing, or even sometimes how brutally they get mocked instead. Pilloried on their own petard, as it were. In particular, as someone remarked just now, ELON HOLDS THE MEGAPHONE OF TWITTER and holds it up to his venomous enemies *, to their detriment.

Goodnight.

* as a mirror. Mixing metaphors. So sorry.

Where have you been? Never affected his life?

Let me just give you one example off the top of my head. When they pointed fingers at him for owning possessions like his homes, guess what he did?

Of course there’s been coordinated attacks on him, his companies and the stock. Either you’re naive or you’re not as well informed as you think you are.

Let me just give you one example off the top of my head. When they pointed fingers at him for owning possessions like his homes, guess what he did?

Of course there’s been coordinated attacks on him, his companies and the stock. Either you’re naive or you’re not as well informed as you think you are.
Actually, a third alternative presents itself to me now. One that I shall Ignore. Thanks for the tip o'cat.

After a hot streak where there were 30+ days of closing above 1000, things cooled off a bit and they went into a funk, losing 8 of 13. Today it looked like they were headed for a blowout win, but the lead was slowly whittled away but still a nice win that hopefully puts them back on the winning path. Even with this latest slump, they are still up 32% for the season.

Today
Score:932.57
Margin of W/L:5.65
Attendance:30,030,452
High - Low:51.62
Season
Record:132-111
Total margin of wins:2,451.58
Total margin of losses:-2,224.68
YTD gain/loss:226.9032.2%
Price/52 week high75.0%
Best Win:115.18Oct 25
Worst Loss:-139.44Nov 9
Last 10:5-5
Streak:W1
Avg margin of victory:18.57
Avg margin of defeat:-20.04
Avg Attendance:26,527,002
Avg Attendance of Last 10:22,856,013
Avg High - Low:33.95
Avg H - L of Last 10:50.52

affect HIS APPROACH to life. He does it his way. Of course he responds to external stimuli. HIS WAY. Coordinated by who? A shadowy cabal of course. He’s like every other major public figure. Some attack, some worship, some like some things about them and not others. I will give you the shorts, who are unbelievably evil. But that was more like an uncoordinated mob with torches

I mean, I like Elon's approachability, but imagine if he was like Larry Ellison and just not react to these shenanigans?

Bullies love to get a reaction from the people they bully. Ignore a bully and they will find another victim.

Did Bill Gates recently get in the news on his wealth? The guy got caught cheating on his wife and worst he got was antivaxxers thinking he's putting 5G chips in vaccines.

For being first principles, all those twitter fights seem an unnecessary distraction.

I mean, I like Elon's approachability, but imagine if he was like Larry Ellison and just not react to these shenanigans?

Bullies love to get a reaction from the people they bully. Ignore a bully and they will find another victim.

Did Bill Gates recently get in the news on his wealth? The guy got caught cheating on his wife and worst he got was antivaxxers thinking he's putting 5G chips in vaccines.

For being first principles, all those twitter fights seem an unnecessary distraction.
But none of us (or them) is going to change how Elon elons. It's futile to try.

Edit: And with that, I really need to reboot go to sleep.

Good lord, Ellison. Can’t even think of him and his unbelievably ponderous software in same equation as Musk, who for all his quirks does the engineering equivalent of inventing a ballet even while dancing it. But OK on the way Ellison comports himself.

Are they really Twitter fights though? Musk seems mainly to give his view in a single shot and move on. If it’s fighting, it is a pretty efficient method.