Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone point me to any data and/or estimates on the split between model 3 and model Y production at Fremont ? For that matter S/X split would be interesting as well. It is really only out of curiousity re mfg ramps and line capacities, as I don't drill to the financial level of detail of ascribing different prices, costs, margins. This is what I have at present.

1640196275582.png

I've been trying to get better granularity on my near-term (24m) forecasts. (Previously I'd only done some annual numbers). You can see why analysts are reluctant to put their estimates out there, the numbers just get unbelievably large, fantastically fast. Here is what I get if I assume no revenue growth in energy or services, and I assume that shareprice responds to maintain PE at approx 130. These are just bonkers numbers.

1640196739063.png

I hope Tesla start issuing this level of data routinely. Plus in about a year's time start issuing more data on energy division and services (inc chargers).

Yep two more tranches left, most likely before the new year, right guys?
Somewhere between 2-4, and my guess is it will be completed by the new year (I think 3 sales... one more this week and two next).

Cat is out of the bag though on how the market will react to it (which we all knew anyway), so the shorts front running it likely won't be able to dive the stock as much. When the dives happen, the market will step in for some short-term gains.

Last edited:
I hope Tesla start issuing this level of data routinely.

Lol, you know that is NEVER going to happen, right? Tesla has been specific in saying that month to month variations in production are meaningless, and to focus on the long-term trend.

Providing more granular data is just feeding the trolls and short-sellers. Just look what happened 2 weeks ago with the China sales numbers being 2K below "expectations" (thanks tweeter Gary). Except that production was UP, and Tesla started shipping to remote areas in China earlier in the Quarter.

So focus on the noise, at your peril (and our entertainment). :p

Lol, you know that is NEVER going to happen, right? Tesla has been specific in saying that month to month variations in production are meaningless, and to focus on the long-term trend.

Providing more granular data is just feeding the trolls and short-sellers. Just look what happened 2 weeks ago with the China sales numbers being 2K below "expectations" (thanks tweeter Gary). Except that production was UP, and Tesla started shipping to remote areas in China earlier in the Quarter.

So focus on the noise, at your peril (and our entertainment). :p
I hear the toilets at Fremont are going to be clogged again and the working conditions are going to be poor as the sewage floods out but it will put out any fires that may have started at the time. Everyone will have to work X-Mas overtime. Sorry Holiday overtime.

Can anyone point me to any data and/or estimates on the split between model 3 and model Y production at Fremont ? For that matter S/X split would be interesting as well. It is really only out of curiousity re mfg ramps and line capacities, as I don't drill to the financial level of detail of ascribing different prices, costs, margins. This is what I have at present.

View attachment 747045

I've been trying to get better granularity on my near-term (24m) forecasts. (Previously I'd only done some annual numbers). You can see why analysts are reluctant to put their estimates out there, the numbers just get unbelievably large, fantastically fast. Here is what I get if I assume no revenue growth in energy or services, and I assume that shareprice responds to maintain PE at approx 130. These are just bonkers numbers.

View attachment 747046

I hope Tesla start issuing this level of data routinely. Plus in about a year's time start issuing more data on energy division and services (inc chargers).

It looks like you have estimated the rate of revenue growth, but margin assumptions don't show up in your spreadsheet. So, you have estimated earnings per quarter (from which the share price is projected) but I can't see how you get there from revenues without making margin assumptions.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
It looks like you have estimated the rate of revenue growth, but margin assumptions don't show up in your spreadsheet. So, you have estimated earnings per quarter (from which the share price is projected) but I can't see how you get there from revenues without making margin assumptions.
This is the quarterly spreadsheet I have with much the same format as the annual one I have previously shown. I don't drill down to the level of individual model or trim margins, I just assume a lumped automotive margin. In this I have held the automotive gross margin constant at the Q3-2021 level which I think is a fairly conservative modelling assumption (2022/2023 - my guess is material input costs are up, consumer prices are correspondingly up, logistics will go down, manufacturing efficiencies will likely improve - all of which I ignore). So in this model the increasing profits come primarily from a combination of increasing automotive volume and relatively constant overheads. As you can see the numbers go bonkers.

Are there any Fremont 3/Y splits out there ?

July 26, 2021:
Oh, and happy TSLA christmas everyone!

Wait until battery manufacturing costs drop to $35/KWh and Tesla is building megapacks on a production line making several hundred per day.
‘member when I said 1k by Christmas several months ago?

Told ya so!

Not seeing the $1K here... or anywhere since July 1st, 2021. ;)

Cheers!

Last edited: