Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wouldn't that be a feather in the cap of our investment thesis?: Tesla becomes a Flight to Safety stock. 😊

Tesla is a "flight to safety" even when considering risks beyond recessions. One example; This decade, I expect sea-level rise to increase much more rapidly than most mainstream projections show. This is going to scare a lot of people and that will drive demand in companies like Tesla. Watch a timelapse video of things melting to get an idea of what it might look like when glaciers melt and slide into the sea.

Many would call this projection alarmist, but my observations show that conventional science has underestimated the probable rate of sea-level rise and, when this becomes more apparent, people most certainly will take more notice than they do now. The reason for the under-estimation of impacts has to do with some of the same reasons disruptions are under-estimated in speed and intensity, namely that they look backwards to project forwards. However, change tends to not happen in linear fashion.

While it's always possible that projections have not under-estimated the rate of change, if it becomes apparent that change is happening faster than anticipated, it will be a real wake-up call for humanity. People would become much more fearful. We have already seen the beginnings of this realization and I expect it will only accelerate. This would act as a very real multiplier to TSLA valuation over a multi-year period. Don't under-estimate how strong this effect could become as the climate story unfolds.

So, are you saying you don't think they will balance this article out with one next week showing how hydrogen cars and trucks are green in name only (with photos of oil derricks, oil spills and refineries flaring waste products) while explaining that hydrogen cars are actually dirtier and less efficient than diesel while costing at least twio or three times as much to fuel?

I mean, certainly there is no agenda to disparage one technology over another, right? 🤪

/s
Or as pointed out up thread @Paracelsus we "in our national interest " have spent so much to ensure the oil will flow.

Surely that cost should be included.

Or as pointed out up thread @Paracelsus we "in our national interest " have spent so much to ensure the oil will flow.

Surely that cost should be included.

Indeed.

Even as expensive as nuclear power plants are, we could literally have built enough of them to power the entire country (~500 GW) for less money than the Iraq war.

At this point, most of these legacy media types are just sanctimonious wokies who never talk to anyone outside their weird little cliques and aren’t talented or interesting enough to attract people to their own substack/podcast/YouTube channel.

Bingo. All the real news analysis happens on sub stack/YouTube. Breaking news occurs on Reddit sub forums and dedicated forums like this one.

I haven't seen tesla Semi-trucks added into any 4Q 2021 projections????????? (half jokingly)
Here was mine (which I haven't updated with today's teasers) and where I had included 2 .........

1640971907035.png

Something I hope Tesla eventually makes is a six wheel HD Cybertruck
View attachment 750359

Ultra large 300KWh+ battery for towing. Designed to compete with HD duallie trucks.
Three-axle vehicles DO present the ability to have an immensely larger GVWR (more accurately, payload) than any 2-axle one, but in almost all (all?) jurisdictions in the USA they pay a much steeper registration fee; likewise at all (99%+, I think) toll booths. I’m not going to look it up but I don’t think the catch-all category “light truck” catches 3-axle vehicles, too. So a supremely larger cost, meaning it is out of consideration for any but that segment of the commercial industry who truly need it - and that is a small market indeed as such hauling capacity likely is better served by a Class 5 or greater vehicle; or the hyper wealthy for whom paying such fees matters ikkle.

I haven't seen tesla Semi-trucks added into any 4Q 2021 projections????????? (half jokingly)

That actually brings up a good point. Semi could be a bright spot in Q1 for Tesla.

Tesla/Elon have been downplaying any news/developments that come out about the Semi. We know Pepsi is taking delivery of at least a couple Semi's this quarter. I would imagine that has to be reported on the P/D report, even if Pepsi is using the first couple for testing purposes.

Then you have Elon saying there will be product updates on the Q4 earnings call. I think most took this as new developments/updates on the Cybertruck. But it could be also related to Semi starting official deliveries in Q1. Either way, actual Semi production/deliveries are not being accounted for in estimates so it's a upside catalyst. Given fuel cost nowadays, Tesla could up the price of the Semi and they would still have non-stop ongoing demand.

Three-axle vehicles DO present the ability to have an immensely larger GVWR (more accurately, payload) than any 2-axle one, but in almost all (all?) jurisdictions in the USA they pay a much steeper registration fee; likewise at all (99%+, I think) toll booths. I’m not going to look it up but I don’t think the catch-all category “light truck” catches 3-axle vehicles, too. So a supremely larger cost, meaning it is out of consideration for any but that segment of the commercial industry who truly need it - and that is a small market indeed as such hauling capacity likely is better served by a Class 5 or greater vehicle; or the hyper wealthy for whom paying such fees matters ikkle.

These outdated regs need updating!
🤓

I think 6 wheels would have a lot of synergy with an electric platform for towing and hauling.

Three axles also are more energy-consumptive, because of the greater footprint. That is one of the several reasons that heavy haulers like concrete mixers and Class 6 (7? Not sure) dump trucks have a liftable axle: when the haul weight is not there, they pull it up. Unfortunately, I don’t believe the superstructure in Tesla’s CT can make allowance for the space needed for a raised axle & tires.
Summary: an utterly minuscule market.

China numbers gave me the motivation to deploy most of the rest of my powder. Grabbed some March 1100s and sold a put for March as well.
Three axles also are more energy-consumptive, because of the greater footprint. That is one of the several reasons that heavy haulers like concrete mixers and Class 6 (7? Not sure) dump trucks have a liftable axle: when the haul weight is not there, they pull it up. Unfortunately, I don’t believe the superstructure in Tesla’s CT can make allowance for the space needed for a raised axle & tires.
Summary: an utterly minuscule market.
It would also require a battery 2x larger than the top CT to realistically power a F350/dually equivalent CT for any significant range while towing. Those trucks will be diesel for a while yet.

Some comedy to start the day...

This morning's New York Times paper edition has the front page headline "Can a Dirty Mine Fuel Tesla's Green Ambitions?", complete with pictures of toxic sludge and mine tailings, impoverished children, and belching smoke stacks. Pages A10 and A11 are devoted entirely to framing Tesla/Musk/Tesla Owners as environmental and social hypocrites in almost every paragraph, and states "...manufacturing electric vehicles emits nearly twice as much carbon dioxide as does producing cars run on fossil fuels..."

My favorite line: '"Going green" or "acting local" are nice bumper stickers for a Tesla.'

The closing paragraph: "Green nickel is not green for us," said Gilbert Atti, the groom's brother. "Tell that to Tesla, that big American company."

Anyway, a real doozy, even for the Times, hahaha, they definitely put a bit of effort in this one.

In other news, the Dieselgate-scandal settlement check involving our Sprinter van came in the mail yesterday--the $3,515 will symbolically go to buying TSLA shares.
From your comments, I was expecting much worse from the article than I saw when I read it.

To me it read as this:

Tesla is going deeper into their supply chain than competitors by sourcing raw materials including Nickel. With their involvement in mining in New Caledonia, they are trying to bring Nickel mining there up to higher standards, e.g. safety and clean energy, than are common in the mining industry.

and this:

New Caledonia has advantages because it is part of France, for example, being European brings the high standards and expectations of the EU. New Caledonia has disadvantages because of its colonial legacy in general and some of the history of the mine in specific.

Yes, the comments about Tesla’s actions appealing to Tesla owners could be taken to imply that this appeal is the only reason that Tesla is doing this and the comments could be taken as mildly snarky—or not.

The quote at the end could be taken as you did as being a takeaway about Tesla (which is how most people would take it and probably why the editor most likely wanted it there). It could also be taken as ‘look at what Tesla has to work with given this is what many of the locals think’ which may be what the author intended.

Given the NY Times loathsome history of reporting about Tesla and Musk, their failure to put their reporting where their mouth is about climate change, and their general inability to admit fault for their biggest, um, mis-steps, this article could be almost be considered a glowing endorsement of Tesla in its kinda-sorta-but-not-there-yet beginings of even-handedness (one backhanded compliment deserves another, don’t you Times reporters & editors think? ;) ).

didn’t see it coming, but Gary be funny:

Hair on my neck just stood up. Imagine if Tesla had an internal goal equal to the number of shares he sold each time. Out in plain sight, this would be amazing on the surface (either that, or a nifty coincidence). At minimum, nailing it would demonstrate manufacturing supremacy against all headwinds - which they've clearly achieved regardless.