Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Simply, it will not. The rapid acceleration in the number of EV's and the ten year lifespan of the vehicle.
Because of the growth in demand for such material the "portion" will stay very low for many years. At a minimum 10, probably closer to 25 years.
However the actual amount will increase steadily over the next 20-30 years.
That is incorrect. Much of the material enters a scrap/recycling stream that is like a pile of spaghetti thrown at a wall in a drunken rave party. My computer is sent to the local dump and placed in an electronics bin. That is delivered to an aggregator, they pull battery pack and separate major components, maybe or just ship the whole thing to India or China. There it is further broken de own and chips melted for gold etc, battery may or may not be recycled, etc. The copper is separated and resold to a scrap dealer, he melts it and sells it to a copper dealer, that copper dealer sells ingots to LG in Korea. LG in Korea takes that copper and produces copper foil, that copper foil end up in an LG battery back burning up in a Chevy Bolt in your neighbors garage. And the cycle is repeated. That is really the heart of Redwood's business model. Simplify the process and create their own cathode and anode materials. They are setup for a million units in the current facility and that is all scrap and recycled material based. Which is to say that the 1 Redwood facility is set to produce enough material to satisfy 100% of the USA EV anode and cathode battery needs of 2020. They have hardly begun.

As a society do an ok job on recycling, so much better than when I was a child 50 years ago. Some things like cars it is amazingly efficient, it almost all gets recycled so that when a car is sent to scrapyard it can be back in a car in as little as 3 months. Consumer electronics are a huge source of leakage. Smart of Redwood to start looking at that for feedstocks. Scrap is such a terrible supply chain issue that it is also low hanging.

The rare and expensive bits and pieces for the battery packs, the copper and heavy metals and such are already entering feedstock. It is not a zero sum game. Battery packs at the heart of it are just materials that are replacing other materials that have efficient recycling (ICE cars). There is already a huge amount of copper in a car, lead, gold, palladium, platinum, special stainless steels, etc. That all gets captured.

What's going to be new is Lithium and raw iron (don't think the LiFe packs use steel, we actually use very little iron in raw form anymore). Lithium is just so abundant that it is much to do about nothing. Lithium refining...that is a constraint. I expect LiFe to be the bulk of the additional capacity in 2023 and beyond because it is just so compelling and those batteries may not be recycled for decades but they also won't really matter from a global scarcity POV, recycling would neither constrain nor advance a mission.

The hard points are just a few metals such as nickel and some magnet rare earths. Price increases in any form will cause increase search for replacements.

TA-DAA! There's the Mid-BB! Just before 10:10 a.m. Awesome.

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2022-01-06.10-13.png

Achievement Unlocked! :p

Cheers!

As a long term investor in Tesla this price action means nothing.

I have the same faith in the execution of the company as I did last week and in the last several years.

However, it is distressing to see how easily the SP is pushed around by a greedy few.
Of course, macros play a part. But the piling on by the "MM's" to exaggerate every down movement is hard to watch.

I think I am going to go take a walk.

Remember the market values a powerpoint presentation more than record YOY actual car production, sales, and delivery, each step of which was scrutinized in gory detail for tesla. The purpose of this is to make money off the spread. TSLA remains very predictable in its price movement which benefits those cashing in on the movement. HODL is easier to understand with multi year timelines.

Lots to discuss here, but simple version: the BEV pie is growing rapidly, and there are more and more people cutting individual tiny slices of it; everyone's slice is getting slightly smaller as a percentage of the total, while growing in absolute size.

Yeah, it's not easy to explain simply. Just imagine a pizza slice that's slowly getting narrower but at the same time it's rapidly getting longer.
It's even simpler than that. There is no "EV Market", there is only the "Automobile Market" (and light trucks).

As a long term investor in Tesla this price action means nothing.

I have the same faith in the execution of the company as I did last week and in the last several years.

However, it is distressing to see how easily the SP is pushed around by a greedy few.
Of course, macros play a part. But the piling on by the "MM's" to exaggerate every down movement is hard to watch.

I think I am going to go take a walk.

Yes, its PSYOPS targeting the weak and the easily defeated. Helped by their ownership of the legislature, the regulator, and the book keepers. We have only one advantage: We're right; they're wrong.

Hey, I have an idea. You should go for a walk. You'll feel better when you get some distance. I prefer 5K... ;)

Cheers!