Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aren't these sold pretty much exclusively in areas of California where it hasn't been below freezing in like a generation or two at least? (LA and SF)

Don't know about the US - but Toyota sell these in Norway. Even after most filling stations were closed after one blew up in quite the spectacular fashion.

Don't know about the US - but Toyota sell these in Norway. Even after most filling stations were closed after one blew up in quite the spectacular fashion.
IIRC there were about 38 H2 cars in Norway, most of which stranded out of reach for a filling station after that energetic blowout, which BTW activated the airbags in a ModelX passing by on the throughway. Some years ago. Are you saying Toyota still sells them??

AFAIK in the US they are only sold in CA.... and nearly all of them are sold in the SF or LA area (maybe SD?) which is also where nearly all the filling stations are.

Where it hasn't been below freezing in decades. Which is why it's weird I got at least 2 disagrees when I pointed that out.... surprising to find climate deniers in this thread.

1990 last year it got below freezing in SF.

1978 for LA.

And just for completeness- 1963 for San Diego-

AFAIK in the US they are only sold in CA.... and nearly all of them are sold in the SF or LA area (maybe SD?) which is also where nearly all the filling stations are.

Where it hasn't been below freezing in decades. Which is why it's weird I got at least 2 disagrees when I pointed that out.... surprising to find climate deniers in this thread.
Yeah, you're doing it again, assuming there is California, and forgetting Europe where Toyota sells these cars because of more stringent emission standards and high taxes on internal combustion engines.

IIRC there were about 38 H2 cars in Norway, most of which stranded out of reach for a filling station after that energetic blowout, which BTW activated the airbags in a ModelX passing by on the throughway. Some years ago. Are you saying Toyota still sells them??

Yes they do. I remember I read about some sold as company cars somewhere in Norway - some months ago. They were close to a HY filling station. But still. Pretty weird!

• Informative
Reactions: Lessmog
....The competition is coming....

Not sure it "beats" the MY, but worth monitoring the competition....Tesla having inferior range is unusual.

I don't know how often in the ICE world they compare BMW M3 to a v6 camry but that's what they did here.

They compared a 5.2 second car to a 3.5 second car. Then they say how "you can even get the longer range version" but that's a 7.4 second car. Eventually by these metrics a golf cart will beat a Tesla if they just make it more quiet and give it longer range.

Not sure it "beats" the MY, but worth monitoring the competition....Tesla having inferior range is unusual.

uhhhhhhh....you realize you're linking to Edmunds right?

Plenty of people get the EPA estimated range in a Model Y, both LR and P. You really think Edmunds drove the Model Y the same way they drove the Hyundai? Really? Of course it's easier to NOT get the EPA estimated milage in a Performance Y because you can just accelerate non-stop. The Hyundai is too weak to push it like that.......so of course they got better milage.

Plus the obvious bias in comparing the Performance Model Y to something that doesn't compare to it's acceleration/power like @Singuy just pointed out.

Last edited:
Yeah, you're doing it again, assuming there is California, and forgetting Europe where Toyota sells these cars because of more stringent emission standards and high taxes on internal combustion engines.
From Wikipedia:
"As of December 2019, the Mirai is available for retail sales across most of Europe including in the UK, Denmark, Germany, Belgium, France, the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Sweden, and Norway.[14] About 640 Mirai had been sold in Europe by the end of 2019. Copenhagen added 100 taxis in 2021."

"As of December 2019, global sales totalled 10,250 Mirais.[unreliable source?] The top-selling markets were the U.S. with 6,200 units, Japan with 3,500 and Europe with 640.[7] As of December 2021, US and Canada sales totalled 9,263 and 221 units respectively.[8]"

Best I can gather, production is fewer than 5000/yr, half of which are sold in USA. Not seeing a huge impact on the LEV market in Europe.

Reactions: EVCollies
uhhhhhhh....you realize you're linking to Edmunds right?

Plenty of people get the EPA estimated range in a Model Y, both LR and P. You really think Edmunds drove the Model Y and the same way they drove the Hyundai? Really? Of course it's easier to NOT get the EPA estimated milage in a Performance Y because you can just accelerate non-stop. The Hyundai is too weak to push it like that.......so of course they got better milage.

Plus the obvious bias in comparing the Performance Model Y to something that doesn't compare to it's acceleration/power like @Singuy just pointed out.
Yes and we have found pretty much all of these EV competitors cannot sustain peak power for longer than a few seconds. This goes for the Mach E and the ID4. Also a lot of these cars fail to hit their 0-60 performance times unless under strict conditions.

So anytime you see these headlines...just add like 5 to 10 asterisks next to it because it'll take a few months to dig up the mountain of limitations these car makers are hiding under the hood.

Here we see a performance Mach E couldn't hit anything beyond 124mph, couldn't hit their 0-60 times, and get schooled by a 2 liter diesel. Where were these rant reviews 8 months ago? It took over 50 seconds for the performance Mach E to go from 100km to 200km, while it took 10 seconds in the performance Model 3. The Mach E on their website list their performance car to have over 100hp over the model 3 performance. BUT you know, crickets from edmunds about that...but the whole world raised their pitch forks because the Plaid had a 1.99 second 0-60 with roll out so it's false advertising ....booohooo.

Last edited:

1990 last year it got below freezing in SF.

1978 for LA.

And just for completeness- 1963 for San Diego-
You got a disagree because it in fact gets below freezing all over Cali. 🙄

Dave thinks that the deferred tax (valuation allowance) is 80% likely to be taken in this coming ER.

27 mins in:
Good so we can stop talking about it. Stock price does nothing and analyst backs it out. If anything we will have a quarter of tesla bulls praise how awesome earnings have gotten without including it with context, Then our earnings drop next Q will lead bears to talk about how Tesla's earning growth is over for a quarter without any context.

Not a real issue, there are no more Ioniq 5 cars available for sale in the US till .. who knows when; there were 160 delivered in 2021, guessing it's in the order of a couple thousands or so total max for the 2022 US market. By 2023 it's a new ball game with the 4860 and the usual 5% production line improvements

Last edited:
Good so we can stop talking about it. Stock price does nothing and analyst backs it out. If anything we will have a quarter of tesla bulls praise how awesome earnings have gotten without including it with context, Then our earnings drop next Q will lead bears to talk about how Tesla's earning growth is over for a quarter without any context.
Will be backed out by analysts BUT will be accounted for in the P/E multiple and considering the macro environment where stocks are being irrationally discounted........it could actually help quite a bit.

Having said that, I think they should hold it for Q1, but we'll see.

Last edited: