Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So basically he said 3 rates this year since he said it was communicated as such
I disagree. To rule out increases in consecutive meetings implies decisions have been made for the entirety of 2022. That's simply never going to get a yes answer. That answer is neutral, a yes would have been a wildly dovish shift.

We are all good folks, relax! Jerome said exactly what we needed to hear.
He also said we are having pretty much 3 rate hikes since it was communicated to the markets and that is their expectation.

I disagree. To rule out increases in consecutive meetings implies decisions have been made for the entirety of 2022. That's simply never going to get a yes answer. That answer is neutral, a yes would have been a wildly dovish shift.

We are all good folks, relax! Jerome said exactly what we needed to hear.

They've guided 3 increases and his answer opened up the possibility to 7. We all know it won't happen and he's simply not letting the Fed getting backed into the corner. It doesn't change the increase guidance right now, but they are clearly open to more than 3 that has been priced in.

I have zero worries long-term on this, but the statements being made right now are not going to help the speculation on treasuries.

They've guided 3 increases and his answer opened up the possibility to 7. We all know it won't happen and he's simply not letting the Fed getting backed into the corner. It doesn't change the increase guidance right now, but they are clearly open to more than 3 that has been priced in.

I have zero worries long-term on this, but the statements being made right now are not going to help the speculation on treasuries.
In lawyer talk the possibility of 7 raises was always open, they were guiding for 3. And they reinforced that today. It's wonderful news. People(and markets) are just on edge.

Here are the only sentences you need to know and the algos and market participants will be keying in on.

“Quite a bit of room to raise interest rates without impacting the labor markets”
”my strong sense is we can move rates up without undermining it (the labor market)”
”highest level of employement that is consistent with price stability”.
“That is my PERSONAL view”
”very broad support on the committee for the judgement that it will SOON be appropriate to raise the target range for the federal funds rate”

So, IMHO this is not a pull back from earlier statements or more dovish policy positions but rather, yes, we know we need to pull back on accommodations and start back with fed funds policy increases - now its just a question of when.

IMHO baring some global conflict towards the end of February, (I put the odds of that now BELOW 50%.) they will make a 25 bps move at the March Meeting.. Lots of volatility between now and then as companies valuations are re-rated, and large portfolios are rebalanced.

In lawyer talk the possibility of 7 raises was always open, they were guiding for 3. And they reinforced that today. It's wonderful news. People(and markets) are just on edge.
Agree that they are on edge, but this is simply a hawkish speech and the market is responding to that. There are already cracks in the 3 guidance, this is expanding those... so speculation on 4 or 5 is going to run wild for the next two months.