Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think people are conflating Elon's answers to questions on the $25K car such that they think Tesla isn't working on it because they think they'll solve FSD this year.

In reality, I think Elon responded directly to the question by affirming that demand for existing products is so strong, and will allow such a high volume ramp, that there's no need to release or even talk about a $25K car at this time, which would only lower output and take sales away from higher margin vehicles (makes perfect sense). And as part of that process, his mind instantly goes to: "When we solve FSD, a $25K car becomes moot."

It takes careful parsing to separate the two, and I think one could be forgiven when interpreting his answer as: "No $25K car because FSD!"

Substantiating this interpretation, we have:

16E03094-5E34-4DAB-96D0-504AB294B46F.jpeg

That is completely out of date, and we won't get an update until 7 AM ET tomorrow. (But it will be going down significantly based on the strikes/volumes traded today.)
true, there has been a LOT of put buying today and yesterday before ER

Maybe everyone got the dates wrong? Last Friday MP was $850, we closed ~ $1000. This Friday MP says $1000 (although this is going to change by tomorrow AM), we could close at $850 (or lower)..

Reactions: SOULPEDL
Gap filled now to Oct 15, 2021:

sc.TSLA.200-DayChart.GapJan-07.SP.equals.2021-10-12.png

SP dn > $100 for the day now, < $20 to reach the MA(200). No support from the "Uptick Rule" (Options market makers have their own special SEC "exemption" which allows them to continue reflexive short selling when they sell a Put contract to a trader who doesn't even pwn the stock).

Have I missed anything? This is EXACTLY the script hedgies used last January, and as I predicted they would back during the Oct/Nov runup. Rince, Repeat. Ignore the earnings report. Do whatevers, regardless, and w/o consequences.

But Elon added 200K twitter followers today, so there's that... :p

I think it takes too long to get one up and running. And Elon did make a comment on the call something along the lines of "you wouldn't believe how many fabs were under construction". Which is probably why they think chip supply won't be an issue by next year.

So if they started building one now, it wouldn't be done before the supply crisis was over. i.e. not a good use of capital.
Yes, very expensive and slow to build a new Chip FAB.

Crammer was on this morning speculating how Intel Corp might be too late with their new factories. He felt the lack of supply today was from double bookings, and that chip supply returns Q3 (or Q4 I think he said). Intel is also constrained by both die and substrates (3rd party, for the chipsets).

I personally experienced vanishing inventory (rapid, mass hoarding of key components I needed). My supplies return this Sept. That date keeps coming up as well with other backorders. Transitory I say, and I agree with Crammer this time. Chip production could easily be excessive in '23, just in time to light-up all those Tesla Factories!