Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone wanna jump in here on twitter and have some fun? This guy is a total toad....

Attachments

• 51E253D3-7A63-4E5F-AB53-CEAF719C071B.png
    51E253D3-7A63-4E5F-AB53-CEAF719C071B.png
    880.3 KB · Views: 100
what the hell is up with the bloomberg tracker now its saying over 80k model 3
The VIN reports coming in support that number. If we don't have somewhere in the neighborhood of 80,000 Model 3s produced it will be a spectacular failure for VIN counting which has been somewhat useful for a long time. To be clear it could be much higher but that just seems too improbable.

• Informative
Reactions: gene and neroden
The VIN reports coming in support that number. If we don't have somewhere in the neighborhood of 80,000 Model 3s produced it will be a spectacular failure for VIN counting which has been somewhat useful for a long time. To be clear it could be much higher but that just seems too improbable.
Probably a lot easier to vin count when they are delivering to US and Canada. Now they’re delivering to six different countries/regions makes sense that vin counting won’t be as accurate.

Probably a lot easier to vin count when they are delivering to US and Canada. Now they’re delivering to six different countries/regions makes sense that vin counting won’t be as accurate.
Long gone are the days of unbridled optimism when we would all ignore such possibilities and get super excited for the huge quarter Tesla seems to be having. To me it is a great time to accumulate. At some point the stock will rally and bring all the momo traders back. Right now it just looks like dead money.

If he kept it secret before then isn't this a clear-cut case of short and distort?

Fast Money used to have little pop up boxes that would appear next to the panelists with disclosures of positions held in stocks mentioned on the show. They did away with them some time ago, but continued to provide the disclosures on the CNBC website. Now I don't see anything. Melissa Lee (the moderator) frequently asks the panel members if they hold a position. The panelists will also often volunteer the information. But there should be mandatory disclosure any time a panelist is going to "talk their book".

Anything less doesn't seem right.

Long gone are the days of unbridled optimism when we would all ignore such possibilities and get super excited for the huge quarter Tesla seems to be having. To me it is a great time to accumulate. At some point the stock will rally and bring all the momo traders back. Right now it just looks like dead money.

Nope. We are living in upside down town. If Tesla sells 100,000 cars and shows a profit the stock will drop 12 bucks.

Just sayin.

Are you sure that was a 4/5 expiry call option? That strike is currently trading at ~$5.00 and the low I see is $4.80. If true, you got an incredible deal. I sold some 3/29 $275 calls and those are trading at $1.33 currently.
Yes, I want to get some April 5 calls myself. Looking at 290 strike for about 2$. Going to wait a little bit more for time decay and to see what the price does. In the meantime, picked up a few more shares and Jan 400s for $11.

Pretty disgusted with Wall St and at the same time kinda in awe of how blatant they are with manipulation. No one for a second believes the BS demand reports this morning...….they're literally quoting the exact same FUD from a month ago(Jan/Feb US numbers are down). I'm very disappointed in investors though(not retail investors). It seems like everyone on Wall St is either in the game to drive the share price down or just complicit to let it drop all they way down to 250 share before they'll start buying, regardless of how much progress the company makes. I'm actually starting to think that a lot of the funds that hold tesla shares bought them not to ride the share price higher, but to maximize downward selling pressure in coordination with FUD and short attacks. Again though, it's my personal belief that the industries Tesla will be disrupting are bankrolling Wall st funds behind the scenes so I don't expect many of you guys are going to join me on the conspiracy bandwagon lol :)

It would be nice to hear something from the company or Elon. It's not material information to reaffirm guidance already given or to just say "We see no demand issues at all". We here all know from the anecdotal evidence(Euro delivery dates being may now), reports of SR+ orders not being delivered until Aug, etc...) that it's all BS.

Tesla is the biggest test of my investment thesis. Kind of like ppl shorting the 2008 crisis. They cannot believe the kind of stuff that was pulled to keep the whole housing market up. Yet, the data is in front of them screamed collapse. Tesla is like that but for the bull side. Both have a similarity though. In both cases, the other side is actively working against you because there is a huge entrenched industry with many jobs associated with it. When all is said and done, we will probably be staring down at multiple family's lives ruined from a changing industry.

Last edited:
Nope. We are living in upside down town. If Tesla sells 100,000 cars and shows a profit the stock will drop 12 bucks.

Just sayin.

Sad but true... also, anyone reporting numbers from VINs or calculating oversea’s shipments, you are doing TSLA a disservice by taking away a possible surprise beat. What will happen is: the media will take your number and this will become the new Q1 consensus number.

Then of course the actual number will come in slightly below (due to undelivered, etc.) and we are back at a miss.

All this stuff with the SEC, the media FUD, very wide error bars on production forecasts from analysts, the depressed stock price... what lies at the heart of it all was the poorly conceived guidance note attached to the Q4 results.

Without proper explanation as to why, you imply in writing that you’ll produce at a similar rate to Q4 for the first half of 2019. Fair enough to change your prior guidance on the timing of 10k per week, which is now contingent on Shanghai opening. This seems a sensible pivot. But what was so odd was saying that the target for 7k per week Model 3 at Fremont was now as far away as the end of the year. And yet the anecdotal evidence suggests they’re not that far away weeks after the statement.

And then an hour after the letter is published, you toss out that conservative guidance on the call anyway and say it’s overly conservative, we’ll do much better.

There is just too much distraction around short term production and demand. I used to think that the publishing of monthly numbers would only serve to increase the distraction levels. But no longer. If Tesla wishes to preserve its brand, it either has to get much more professional with its guidance or else give the market more real-time info.

All they had to say in their letter was: “With the Shanghai factory now intended to produce 3k a week we have decided for now to target a steady state of 7k a week in Fremont, which can be achieved with minimal capex. The timing for this depends on many variables [discuss on call] but is targeted for between the middle and end of 2019”.

I remember the days when there was a campaign to ban program trading. It's not really possible to ban program trading (how can you tell whether it's a program or a human?) but they really should have banned a few things:
-- high speed trading should be illegal; this can be enforced by a tax on each trade, which would simply make it impossible to make a profit doing high speed trading
-- algorithms trading on newsreading should be illegal; they've caused at least five flash crashes already and are so dumb that they're pretty easy to spot.

Actually no, AI is pretty smart and getting smarter as time goes on. It’s called machine learning for a reason.

Just one more week. Tesla is really hurting itself by not reporting monthly figures. Even if they are fodder for FUD (they will be since FUDsters will deliberately ignore seasonality), atleast we'd be talking about concrete numbers instead of rumors.

Month 1 of the quarter will be really bad due to overseas shipments. Month 2 will have the same issue. In month 3 all the shipments finally hit their targets along with domestic deliveries. Talk about fodder...

Unfortunately, the media FUD definitely works on people.
However, it only works on people who have never been for a ride or driven in a Tesla before.

My mother in law recently went with an Audi A5 over the Model 3, because all the FUD stuff got her scared. When she flew in to see us and tested our Model 3, she now said she is jealous and has regret over the choice.

Anyone who actually experiences a Tesla usually is converted from all the FUD crap.

Totally. Forget advertising. Launch a Tesla only taxi service. Works just like advertising, except the money flows in, not out. And oh, it’s useful.