Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People need to stop blaming the call, Elon, and the analysts for this. They are not the ones responsible. Elon being on the call didn't confuse the analysts or make them think bad things were happening; they almost all either reconfirmed or increased their price targets. They get it, Tesla is doing great, and has a great plan for 2022:

Note: None of them lowered their price targets.

So who/what is responsible for this drop? I don't know, some of it is macros, but it seems like someone really wants to bring TSLA down, and it isn't because Elon was on the call this quarter.
Thank you! Excellent points. This should be the narrative, not whether EM was on the conference call.

So who/what is responsible for this drop? I don't know, some of it is macros, but it seems like someone really wants to bring TSLA down, and it isn't because Elon was on the call this quarter.

Wall Street could have not found a better polarizing figure than Elon to bring TSLA down. They were likely going to take any small negative from the call to suit their narrative, it just so happened that Elon on the call was the icing on the cake they were looking for.

I will admit that I lost money from selling puts but I'm not blaming Elon or Tesla. I knew the risks going in so it's all good.

I still have >80% of my wealth in Tesla and for that I'm very thankful to Elon and what he was able to achieve. At the same time critiquing Elon should not be a crime, there is nothing wrong in saying Elon on the call was not exactly a positive. I think Elon gets it too. I expect him to make some changes for Q1 ER.

Hey yo, 4680 in production!

View attachment 761440
The 4680 form factor only accounts for about 50-70% of the benefits here. Lots of other bits which won’t be realized for a few years. No word on whether these new batteries will be using the new anode material (Tesla Silicon) which is a big chunk of that range increase. So we’re not going to see all of the benefits here.

Costs will also be much higher as they are ramping.

But… yes, it’s great seeing an important puzzle piece dropping in!

It’s not constructive criticism. That’s the point. I’ve been here longer than you. You’re not the first, nor will you or anyone else in a tizzy, be the last to think they know better what Elon should or should not do, what he should or should not say.

At best it’s 🥱. This man, this company, this bunch of crooked suits is what you signed up for. Sorry, not sorry, it doesn’t fit your temperament or personality. Get over it or move on because I assure you history repeats in a few months.

Personally, I think you’re a funny guy. But you’re way, way too emotional right now along with a bunch of others. Don’t bet what you can’t afford to lose. Learned that lesson at 15 years old.
Thats fine. I placed the majority of my bet 7 years ago, if it goes to zero, it would suck but id be ok, my life would continue as it is now.

Wether or not something should or should not be done is not up to me, what happened or what happens is the result. Im just commenting on what an outcome is, wether its good or bad through eyes of another, and try to figure out why. That might not matter at all, but that's what criticism is. Im not going to post the Websters definition here, but yeah, it is constructive criticism... wether you agree with my dumb criticism is another thing. Perhaps go read my post again, I was as critical of myself as the rest.
Cheers.
BT

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Confession
I'll use a paragraph of your very good post to make a confession.

When the Cybertruck was revealed in Nov 2019, I was sick to my stomach watching it. I was angry at Elon for messing with my investment dollars.
The next day when the stock dropped 6%, my anger grew.
But then something changed. As I started to read and listen to different perspectives, I began to see what Elon saw all along. The Cybertruck was a game-changer . . . .and this is why I had originally invested in Tesla . . .not a "me too" company, but a Disruptor. Others started to see this too and the stock recovered (and of course has continued higher).

Now to the earnings call Wednesday. This was suppose to be a blow out quarter. I was hoping the earnings call would go the way of Nadella's Microsoft call where the stock rose during the call. . . .and then we got humanoid bots, you don't understand the value of FSD, no new products this year, etc.
I was once again angry at Elon. And when the stock dropped the next day by 12%, my anger grew.

Now that I have read and listened to other perspectives, just like with the Cybertruck reveal, my anger has gone away and I am now more bullish then ever.

Optimus: My CEO Still Has the Innovation Mojo
I learned from the call that an Optimus product launch may be sooner than I had thought. In my financial models I would have put the the launch of an AI product (other than FSD) in years 8-10. The emphasis on Optimus during the call demonstrated to me Elon's commitment to this and I now believe that a product will be revealed closer to the 4-5 year portion of my model than the 8-10 years. This is a new revenue stream with a lower reliance on battery supply than the Auto and Energy business. Now I can finally see how revenues can continue to grow 50% or higher out in years 5,6, 7.

A Focus on Execution
Extraordinary 2022 Financial Results are a certainty. Elon and Zach revealed that Shanghai and Fremont can provide 50% growth. That's 1.4m cars.
With Berlin/Austin, we can get to 1.65m . .that's 76% growth. And with no distraction from Cybertruck/Semi, the Austin ramp will surprise the most bullish investors. I had $14 non-GAAP EPS for 2022 but we can perhaps see $16 in 2022 (vs $6.78 in 2021)

FSD - Elon Wouldn't Shut Up About It
There was something different about this. This was not just Elon over-promising as in the past; we heard Elon frustrated that analysts did not understand the breakthrough and value arriving. Elon has more information on FSD than we; he sees what we can't. My gut tells me that some autonomy skeptics will start to believe in autonomy this year.

I'm feeling better today - the stock will recover and move higher . . . be patient.
Re. Bot: Elon said it was very important. We better believe him.
The bot is being developed right now. (And perhaps have been, in stealth mode, for some time)

Hard to know when it is a 'product' ready for sale. Or perhaps better: a worker or workforce ready for hire. 4-5 years sound plausible - perhaps conservative.
I think Tesla could make the bot a product in a year from now: They have likely been working on it in stealth mode for some time. Off course a year from now, the bot won't be fully baked, it will be very 'raw'.

There are multiple reasons for keeping the bot very close to the chest for now.
BUT - I would wager that they will start to use bots internally in very short time.

So even 2-4 years before the bots become a 'product' they should have an effect on Teslas efficiency.
Hard to quantify, but a good effect. Perhaps "nutty" good.

My suggestion is that you add a variable/parameter for 'bot efficiency' when you do your models and forecasting.
A first guestimate could be increasing Tesla's productivity with 1% per quarter from 2023 onwards. Just a WAG.
The future EAs, ECs and other Tesla news will hopefully enable you/us to 'dial in' the BE-factor.

Last edited:
Wall Street could have not found a better polarizing figure than Elon to bring TSLA down. They were likely going to take any small negative from the call to suit their narrative, it just so happened that Elon on the call was the icing on the cake they were looking for.

Wall St. decided to 'play the man, not the ball' years ago with the very first NY Times hit piece on the original roadster. They've plumbed 6 levels of hell since, and now Elon's the one still standing, and laughing in their faces.

Current FSD safety data isn't really FSD safety data. It's actually FSD plus a human monitor safety data. That combo safer than a human by end of 2022, I think that's likely. FSD ready for anything near robotaxi level without human monitoring by end of 2022... I put that at less than a 5% chance.

I read on here yesterday that the the code is undergoing another major rewrite. I don't know if that is accurate or verified. I know in software development that a project nearing completion doesn't undergo a major rewrite.
FSD is one of those projects that will never be complete. It will go from one shippable state to another more capable shippable state as long as the world keeps changing. In between those states, there will be rewrites, good version and bad versions, but there will always be something that can be improved.

Here is Deutsche Bank's follow-up note on their callback with Tesla IR. Lots of good nuggets in here that come straight from Tesla. Some of my highlights:
  1. Tesla believes it can bring down the cost of existing M3 and MY considerably; these models can serve cheaper markets with more economical prices in the future. Another reason to de-prioritize the Model 2 for now.
  2. Nothing is set in stone with the company's strategy, meaning Model 2 is not shelved indefinitely if it makes sense to produce it in the future.
  3. Expedited costs along with warranty/recall costs amounted to about $360 million of the total $700 million headwind (with the remaining $340 million related to payroll tax impact from Elon's compensation plan),
  4. Management views Optimus as a side project. They hope to complete a prototype this year and have it first handle menial tasks at Tesla facilities before marketing it to other companies in the years ahead.

View attachment 761372
View attachment 761374
View attachment 761375

This Caught My Attention
I know that FSD is a touchy subject at the moment but this Deutsche Bank (DB) comment caught my attention.
Speaking with Tesla Investor Relations after the call:
“Tesla’s goal is for FSD to reach what is considered Level 4 autonomy by regulators by the end of this year. As such, Tesla will start to seek approval from regulators for a release by the end of 2022.”

12 Key Points from 4Q21 Earnings Call (11 from EM and 1 from DB )

I listened to TSLA EC a second time today ... this is so freaking bullish ... I really don't get what all whining and handwringing is about (from Investors... as for the gamblers i understand, EM is not running his business for your short term bets)
below are verbatim excerpts from EM opening remarks:

1) And while we battled, and everyone did, with supply chain challenges through the year, we managed to grow our volumes by nearly 90% last year

2)Additionally, we reached the highest operating margin in the industry in the last widely reported quarter at over 14% GAAP operating margin.

3) So, we've begun production at both Texas and Berlin, we started that last quarter.

4) in Texas, we're building the Model Ys with the structural battery pack and the 4680 cells, and we’ll start delivering after final certification of the vehicle, which should be fairly soon.

5) Nonetheless, we do expect significant growth in 2022 over 2021, comfortably above 50% growth in 2022.

6) Although we're not ready to announce any new locations on this call, but we will through 2022, look at new locations and probably be able to announce new locations towards the end of this year, I expect.

7) Full Self-Driving. So, over time, we think Full Self-Driving will become the most important source of profitability for Tesla. It's -- actually, if you run the numbers on robotaxis, it's kind of nutty -- it's nutty good from a financial standpoint. And I think we are completely confident at this point that it will be achieved.

8) So, on the product road map front, there's quite a lot to talk about. I'm not going to go through every sort of thing that we're working on because I think a lot of them deserve product launches of their own as opposed to a few minutes on an earnings call.

9) The fundamental focus of Tesla this year is scaling output. So, both last year and this year, if we were to introduce new vehicles, our total vehicle output would decrease.

10)So, we will not be introducing new vehicle models this year. It would not make any sense because we'll still be part constrained. We will, however, do a lot of engineering and tooling and whatnot to create those vehicles, Cybertruck, Semi, Roadster, Optimus, and be ready to bring those to production hopefully next year. That is most likely. But like I said, it is dependent on, are we able to produce more cars or fewer cars?

11) So, in terms of priority of products, I think actually the most important product development we're doing this year is actually the Optimus humanoid robot. This, I think, has the potential to be more significant than the vehicle business over time.

he then asks Drew to talk 4680

12) DB: our in-house 4680 effort to provide us flexibility and insurance as we attempt to grow as fast as possible. As we sit today, sales from suppliers is actually -- it sort of exceeds our other factory-limiting constraints that you mentioned, Elon, in 2022 or to say differently, 4680 cells are not a constraint to our 2022 volume plans, based on the information we have. But we are making meaningful progress of the ramp curve in Kato. We're building 4680 structural packs every day, which are being assembled into vehicles in Texas. I was driving one yesterday and the day before. And we believe our first 4680 vehicles will be delivered this quarter.

I will agree the Q/A gets a bit confusing for those who do not understand EM communication style ... but i prefer the open dialogue (HVAC example) to the scripted BS from most other public companies .. they are joking around about disrupting another entire sector of the energy business ... challenging other companies to step up and accelerate the mission ... and when these other companies don't do it in a few years ... you can bet Tesla eventually will as it is in their mission to do it if others wont....