Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other than a public dog and pony show and a slap on the wrist, what changed as a result of that? Remember Jack Rickard's estimate on daily profit of the oil industry? What's 2.3B to them?

I don't think I'm powerless, nor anyone else. But I also don't think platitudes on a message forum are making a huge difference. I'm sincere in asking for ideas because I would like to do more to end shenanigans and see more fairness and justice in the world.

Maybe this, leave as little as possible in banks, use Credit Unions more, and encourage others to do so as well.

It is good to remind folks about the constant FUD of mainstream media, even tho applauding "positive" changes of attitude from some journalists is problematic as they are NOT real changes, these journalists just had to eventually APPEAR as they are impartial now, because they have no choice, they want to keep what credibility they have left - the reality disconnect would crush them into the Gordon Johnson category if they tried to continue their FUD reporting.

HOWEVER, and especially in a forum like this where we know better, maybe we could move past this defensive /distracting stage -and fight Tesla's real enemies rather than their foot soldiers.

We now know who they are - besides the obvious oil & gas / coal & utilities interests /ICE : most large financial conglomerates including the big 7 Wall Street banks (Dept of Justice repeat criminal felony offenders, who just pay a symbolic fine whenever their SEC accomplice is forced to sue them after the Justice Dept actions) .

A call to arms: we can do things that are more effective than debunking the journalists and go in the right direction with little changes on our part. Here are a few to start with:

1. keep as much of our USD deposits in Credit Unions rather than the usual banks (JP Morgan, HSBC, Goldman Sachs etc ). It may be necessary to keep an account at one of these larger banks out of necessity, but why not keep as much as practical in Credit Unions? That is because credit unions are not for profit, they benefit local businesses and do not gamble with derivatives (like banks do, at the expense of the taxpayer when they lose or help manipulate markets). CU's contribute to the real economy, not our increasingly larger paper economy.
Why let the FUDsters use our deposits to attack Tesla, when we have the choice not to leave our deposits with them?

Credit Unions used to be restricted as to membership, but that is not true anymore - they offer completely similar services as banks and most still offer free checking which is getting rarer /more difficult to find for banks unless of course you are a big client. Some CU's are very large, for example Penfed, or even Apple Savings Bank in NYC with perfunctory membership requirements. Or your old college or employer credit union.

These deposits in credit unions will NOT be used by Wall St financial companies to short or manipulate TSLA, besides other problematic consequences.
It would be great if a majority of people did this, but still, every bit helps

2. Use as much as possible disruptive financial products that are actually just as safe but more efficient/ faster and less expensive than their traditional counterparts. I can think of a couple, which I can recommend: TransferWise for faster /less expensive international funds transfers, and the Cash app which lets you transfer instantly funds to family /friends/ others you trust, but also pay for anything with its associated Visa credit card. This is a disruptive Fintech from Jack Dorsey (ex Twitter CEO and now Square/ Block) which now owns its own bank. Finally on the way to realizing what Elon Musk wanted X.com aka Paypal to achieve: eliminate the (unfair but profitable for established institutions) inefficiencies of our financial system.

3. Use your influence to have any direct or indirect investments in fossil fuels divested from funds where you have a voice, similar to Harvard's $42B endowment fund recent decision

4. Any other means you can think of to address this cold war the FUD has /is currently engaging against Tesla at its roots/ heads. Avoiding putting investments in companies funding the anti Tesla FUD, voting for better political leaders (are there any?).. Maybe someone can start a new thread figuring out what other actions can be taken.

https://www.carbonbubble.net/

View attachment 754004

Edit: grammar/ illustration and refinements added - and meanwhile another recent "positive" article in the NY Times today Jan 8 by Jack Ewing reports positively on how Elon's quirky approach to make its own components in house paid off this year, but as expected HAD TO end with the usual negative /deceptive FUD concluding comments (likely dictated by the NY TImes overlords):

".. Tesla vehicles still suffer from quality problems. The company told regulators in December that it planned to recall more than 475,000 cars for two separate defects. One could cause the rear view camera to fail, and the other could cause the front hood to open unexpectedly. And federal regulators are investigating the safety of Tesla’s Autopilot system, which can accelerate, brake and steer a car on its own.

“Tesla will continue to grow,” said Stephen Beck, managing partner at cg42, a management consulting firm in New York. “But they are facing more competition than they ever have, and the competition is getting stronger.”

Setting the stage for a bailout handout by showing the public that all of the EV makers could be "just like Tesla" if they had billions of funding too.
Few things in this world would be stupider than that....very few. Legacy had chances for the past 10yrs (ad in the sound of me pounding and stamping my feet). They simply chose NOT to do the work. And no, the Bolt or Mach e does NOT count, nor will others without better batteries and drivetrains. They are not scalable or profitable enough to compete. Few things in life are this apparent (engineering focused).

Once FSD is solved even a better drivetrain won't help them...

Last edited:
Tesla doesn't need any funds -- they're growing as fast as they can and have plenty of cash buffer. But they can't do it alone -- we need at least ONE other American car company to survive and at least pretend to compete against Tesla if we're not going to lose the whole industry.

Why do you believe we need at least one other American car company to survive? Pretend competition doesn't accomplish anything.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against GM and Ford both surviving and thriving, but I don't see that happening. Wishing these two companies could be efficient manufacturers that can offer good value to their customers doesn't make it more likely. Currently, they offer terrible value.

Nah for the most part you did. The only reason it didn't have the afternoon selloff was the macros/QQQ's were strong into close. When compared to the QQQ, TSLA's trading was pretty weak.

Volume was anemic today

Lowest volume day of the year for TSLA to date, if my quick check on this is correct.

The other thread is all about selling options, not about losing mon… eh, buying options.
1644358730618.png

Happy I didn’t call this right.

Oh, they tried (and failed) multiple times, most notably at 2:15 pm and again at 3:45 pm:

TSLA.202202-08.16-00.png

Today was also notable in that we had three (3) MMMD attempts, none of which succeeded, and which were ultimately defeated by 10:45 with jost a little bitte of volume. ;)

SP action is always a 'tug-of-war', imho there's at least 6 distinct group of players (if you count retail bulls and bears). So you never know day to day who will win, and then it's transitory at best. Wall St. has no concious memory.

Cheers!

Last edited:
But that Sankey diagram provides effectively no insight as to how much electricity is consumed in the transportation sector, correct? Other than the negligible...what? Urban light rail?
It's also not 2021/22 data so it's not going to really illuminate this rather sudden move to EV from ICE. Sure is an interesting document. I wonder about the quality of the data and how it is collected.

Hey look, Volvo gets it!

"This is the biggest technology shift since we switched from wood to steel," a Volvo engineer told Automotive News Europe. Volvo's head of engineering and operations told the outlet that the new process will cut down the time it takes to assemble large aluminum parts by 75%.

Hey look, Volvo gets it!

"This is the biggest technology shift since we switched from wood to steel," a Volvo engineer told Automotive News Europe. Volvo's head of engineering and operations told the outlet that the new process will cut down the time it takes to assemble large aluminum parts by 75%.

You mean Geely gets it.

Last edited: