Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The ship was carrying a combination VW ID.4, Audi Q4 and e-tron, Posche Taycan, and over a thousand ICE vehicles.
More Proof of how far advanced Tesla is....

Several years ago Bears reported Tesla was dumping thousands of produced vehicles in the ocean because they could not sell them, or they did not even function.
And now Legacy Auto is doing this?
And they got it so wrong. First they didn't get it sunk. And now the act is making the news. Proof Legacy Auto is many years behind Tesla.

Are there any examples of a particular hardware solution being specified for auto safety requirements? When I was involved with government procurements, we were very careful to specify performance requirements, not anyone's favorite hardware solution. The reason was obvious - so as not to promote/penalize any particular competitor.

For on-going requirements, this could also eliminate future superior systems as technology evolved, or force continuous rewriting of the specifications.

I think it would be very difficult for the government to specify LIDAR as a requirement for autonomous vehicles. They would instantly open themselves up to protests and lawsuits, and they'd likely lose.

edit: as an example, I don’t think the government specifies HOW to engineer a car for crash-worthiness, but rather the types of impacts that should be protected against and the specifics of the tests that will be used to evaluate compliance.
Here's an example of the Fed specifying the need of a type of hardware....

§ 571.111 Standard No. 111; Rear visibility requires a "mirror" for visibility behind you....

S5.1
Inside rearview mirror. Each passenger car shall have an inside rearview mirror of unit magnification.

Outside rearview mirror - driver's side.

S5.2.1 Field of view. Each passenger car shall have an outside mirror of unit magnification.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mike Ambler

This seems like another good reminder this exists though:

Or maybe this?

It was slight exaggeration on my part (intentionally), but literally, as an MD, I can tell you it was a "rare diagnosis".

Now, you go to any major metro area childrens' hospital and they have "asthma rooms" in the ERs to treat kids coming in with an acute exacerbation.

Areas with low pollution have exponentially lower rates of asthma.

MOD: And with that, this now way-OT discussion ends.

The shameless copying continues. This week alone, insurance and now this.

Also, remember their Ford chargers from a few weeks back?
Doesn't Tesla's public domain usage of Dog mode make Ford's ability to be granted a patent less likely?

• Informative
Reactions: Mike Ambler
Doesn't Tesla's public domain usage of Dog mode make Ford's ability to be granted a patent less likely?
Ford will probably sue Tesla to remove it or license it. Ford patented the process one week after Elon tweeted about doing it but before dog Mode was available in the vehicle.

Ford is "trying" differentiate their use by doing a lot of different things like adjusting seats, opening windows, opening roofs, etc etc, to make it different. But yea, there's a huge case for Prior Art by Tesla. Hell, Ford even references Tesla's manual of Dog Mode, so... and furthermore its stupid by Ford given Tesla's stance on Patent sharing.

More Proof of how far advanced Tesla is....

Several years ago Bears reported Tesla was dumping thousands of produced vehicles in the ocean because they could not sell them, or they did not even function.
And now Legacy Auto is doing this?
And they got it so wrong. First they didn't get it sunk. And now the act is making the news. Proof Legacy Auto is many years behind Tesla.
According to this veteran merchant mariner, the Felicity Ace will not sink, it has intricate sensors to detect where exactly the fire started, crew did attempt to put the fire out which started in a deck level where the cars are stored (roughly ~4000 cars), crew is safe and they are waiting to tow the vessel back to port. So looks like we might get to know, eventually, what caused the fire.

According to this veteran merchant mariner, the Felicity Ace will not sink, it has intricate sensors to detect where exactly the fire started, crew did attempt to put the fire out which started in a deck level where the cars are stored (roughly ~4000 cars), crew is safe and they are waiting to tow the vessel back to port. So looks like we might get to know, eventually, what caused the fire.
See what I mean...Legacy Auto can't even sink a ship.

'They' have to come up with some sort of hit piece every day and that's just today's. There will be another along tomorrow.
Like a bad smell, if you're exposed to it long enough you don't smell it any more.
I think we're close to peak stink.
I'm very sensitive to FUD. But, I am concerned about this one. Tesla has been fighting to eliminate phantom braking for over a year now without success. Vision only was heralded as the answer. But, they still have not figured it out yet and therefore cannot just send an OTA, because they still lack the solution. Granted they might have improved it (not my experience at all), but I do have concerns about this being a pickle.

Why all the hatred for the Hummer EV???

Sure it’s inefficient, but it is still 100% electric and compared to a regular Hummer is an incredibly good vehicle for the environment.

I wouldn’t buy one of course, but we should be cheering on a revamp of any horrendous gas-guzzler into a pure EV model.
The Hummer EV displaces one fossil fuel-burning vehicle. Even if you own 7 ICE cars, and you are driving your Hummer EV... you are not driving any of your other cars. => it displaces one ICE car.

If GM had decided to put the 240kWh of batteries into four 60kWh vehicles, that would displace four ICE vehicles.

In other words, GM continues the use of 3 ICE vehicles every time they collect all that battery material together and sell it in one BEV.

Imagine if Tesla did something similar and collected together TEN 100kWh packs into one behemoth 1MWh personal transportation vehicle - they could say it has the longest range, most power, etc. etc. but it would only displace one combustion-engined car at any given moment. Therefore... Tesla does not do that because it slows down the mission. The Hummer EV is not accelerating the transition to sustainable transportation. It is decelerating it.

Tesla's patent in the public domain doesn't make it any more or less likely. The patent office doesn't care what's in the public domain.

So Ford can file its own patent for any invention just like anyone else, as long as it is new, useful, non-obvious, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: kanweg
Here's an example of the Fed specifying the need of a type of hardware....

§ 571.111 Standard No. 111; Rear visibility requires a "mirror" for visibility behind you....

S5.1
Inside rearview mirror. Each passenger car shall have an inside rearview mirror of unit magnification.

Outside rearview mirror - driver's side.

S5.2.1 Field of view. Each passenger car shall have an outside mirror of unit magnification.
Fair. Most likely a holdover from when no other solution (e.g., miniature video cameras) was apparent. It shows the error of doing this. If the required view was specified rather than a hardware solution, cameras could be candidates now.

Hopefully, the government won’t get into the business of designing autonomous driving systems.

Russia has a lot of nickel too, IIRC.

"With nearly seven million metric tons of nickel reserves, Russia was the fourth-richest country of that metal. Furthermore, Russia is the third-largest producer of nickel from mines, following Indonesia and the Philippines. In 2020, an estimate of 280 thousand metric tons of nickel was produced in the country."

"With nearly seven million metric tons of nickel reserves, Russia was the fourth-richest country of that metal. Furthermore, Russia is the third-largest producer of nickel from mines, following Indonesia and the Philippines. In 2020, an estimate of 280 thousand metric tons of nickel was produced in the country."

Russia is also the predominant holder of illicit bitcoin. No surprise there.

Sell off has become a little incoherent here and makes more sense if it is because of the economic backdrop rather than the potential of the advertised hot conflict. But even then... do not think it makes sense.

We are in the ugly position here as a collective species that the announcement of official hostilities on the Ukrainian border will probably result in a rally.

I have referenced this a couple of times but here we have hard confirmation that the current crisis has opened a market nicely for the USA LNG industry that the fossils have been pining for and pushing for a couple of decades.

I must observe as well that there are huge forces in both the USA and Russia whose interests are aligned to keep the potential or current hot / cold war going for as long as possible, with the rhetoric as heated as possible. This, of course, would be the fossils and defense industries in both countries. It is a dangerous game they play. A foolish one as well as a real break out of war is unpredictable, but you cannot convince them of that in the end. They have a plan I am sure....

I purchased calls for next week at 910 strike starting at 885 and have more orders scaling down for the rest of the day. Hey, wouldn't be the first time I got cleaned out ... or made a killing for that matter. A rip rally might be in the works for as soon as tomorrow. MMs love to clean out put buyers just like call buyers. They play no favorites.

It would be foolish to follow my lead and as such, not an advice.