Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I am a little bored with the share price action over the last few months and I thought I would buy a call option. Can I check how these work?

I am based in Europe, so I actually have to buy a warrant but I think they are pretty much the same.

So I see that I can buy 1,000 call options for TSLA at a strike price of $1,040 by 15th Dec 2023. These would cost me roughly $2 each. Does this mean that I pay $2,000 now for a call on 1,000 shares which lets me buy 1,000 shares of TSLA at a price of $1,040 anytime before 15th Dec 2023?

If so, this seems an excellent use of capital i.e. if TSLA goes up to $1,542 by then, I execute the option and make $500,000 for an initial capital outlay of just $2,000?

Am I understanding this right? Thanks for your help!

I swear somebody pissed in Jake Fisher's Wheaties several years back. Somewhere along the line he stopped ever having something nice to say about Tesla products, and frequently seems to go out of his way to rig things up so he can say something bad.
Maybe one of CR's philanthropists, the Ford Foundation (which coincidentally appears first in CR list of its philanthropist, foundations, and non profits partners), made a phone call to Jake?

MODERATOR: Rather than delete this post, this remains to show that is the kind of FUD that, were - and whenever - it appears as an attack on Tesla, is understandably and justifiably jumped on by our stout members as irresponsible. It is just as irresponsible - and reprehensible - when the shoe is on the other foot.
Either stay above the fray - or do not post. What a despicable post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone. I am a little bored with the share price action over the last few months and I thought I would buy a call option. Can I check how these work?

I am based in Europe, so I actually have to buy a warrant but I think they are pretty much the same.

So I see that I can buy 1,000 call options for TSLA at a strike price of $1,040 by 15th Dec 2023. These would cost me roughly $2 each. Does this mean that I pay $2,000 now for a call on 1,000 shares which lets me buy 1,000 shares of TSLA at a price of $1,040 anytime before 15th Dec 2023?

If so, this seems an excellent use of capital i.e. if TSLA goes up to $1,542 by then, I execute the option and make $500,000 for an initial capital outlay of just $2,000?

This thread's the place to discuss - Wiki - Selling TSLA Options - Be the House.

Police Teslas are a no brainer. So much easier to catch crooks. The other EV didn't do so well.

You are on the wrong thread but I will tell you your numbers make no sense to the point of I don't really understand what you are saying.

I see Sep 23 1050C going for 210 each right now, which would cost you 21,000.00 USD to control 100 shares at that strike price. Don't even see DEC 23 options on TD Ameritrade.

Please check out the options thread.

The shameless copying continues. This week alone, insurance and now this.

Also, remember their Ford chargers from a few weeks back?
Copying features like this is fine. Its how much of the industry moves forward.

Filing a patent for slight extensions of an idea someone else sold years prior to you? Now that’s lame.

EU Warrants usually have an associated ratio, e.g. 1:10 (1 share:10 warrants) or 1:100 which is the opposite of US options which are usually 100:1 (100 shares:1 contract). Hence why the comparison with US options makes these look very cheap ($210 vs €2)

I for one am grateful for the relaying of relevant Twitter posts. I refuse to do Twitter or Facebook but there is obviously some useful info there. Thanks for the curating.
You are wise to let others venture into Twitter. I just recently started getting on there and I'm appalled by what people believe and the hatred they have for Elon and Tesla. How so many people can be manipulated into believing the exact opposite of what is true is shocking.

I'm on twitter, see the stuff that folks put out there. Much of what gets shared here is a repeat of what I've seen already. Isn't there a better way to handle so much of twitter being posted here?

More on the twitter, I reckon folks could argue that discussing what is there is important to investors? Well, can't that stay on twitter? Is there really someone all that new worth following that won't be found on twitter?

Also, kind of like sharing what the price is. If I gave a flip about that, I can look at the price? Isn't there a better way to handle the mundane aspect of share price?
Perhaps I’m alone or in the extreme minority, but I’m not on Twitter, so I appreciate Tweets of particular merit or with new information being shared here.

Cathie saying market mistakenly turning to the past when facing disruption.

Mkt on too short a time horizon. Risk aversion. Massive mis-alocation of capital Based on prior levels.

Says AI is moving twice as fast as Moores law. Ripe.

Still in on Tesla. Likes Tesla-like stocks.

Saying we are in a rip and replace transformative time for tech like Zoom.

Relies on research and not “comps” to form portfolio. Their research is organized on technology.

Last edited:
Anyone still subscribe to Consumer Reports?

Ford’s Mustang Mach-E beats Tesla’s Model 3 as Consumer Reports’ top electric vehicle for 2022

The designation is further validation of Ford CEO Jim Farley's belief the company can not only compete with Tesla but also beat Elon Musk when it comes to EVs.​
Consumer Reports says reliability data it has collected shows the Mach-E has very few problems, so far.​
That data, along with owner reviews and testing conducted by the nonprofit group, prompted Consumer Reports to make the Mach-E its "Top Pick" for an electric vehicle.​

Perhaps Consumer Reports needs to be evaluated. According to this the Ford Mach E did poorly.

EU Warrants usually have an associated ratio, e.g. 1:10 (1 share:10 warrants) or 1:100 which is the opposite of US options which are usually 100:1 (100 shares:1 contract). Hence why the comparison with US options makes these look very cheap ($210 vs €2)
Thank you, that is why the numbers did not make sense, and why it seemed like bargain of the century. Thanks everyone!

Reactions: aGreenGuy
Just to be clear the SEC isn't the one investigating, it is the DOJ. (It appears that the DOJ got involved because the SEC isn't doing their job?)

Mentioned upthread already, but just a quick clarification.

SEC has civil enforcement powers and can sue you in court. Worse case is money damages + an injunction.

DOJ has criminal enforcement powers and can charge you in court. Worse case is monetary penalty + jail.

SEC refers serious cases to DOJ.

Perhaps Consumer Reports needs to be evaluated. According to this the Ford Mach E did poorly.

That's the only time that lap times have been disclosed and I assume it's because they had to be timed due to the nature of their testing. And thus the HUGE flaw of the Ford's power limit duration is exposed. There have been rumors of Ford's NDA on lap times... it makes sense since still to this day no mags or testers have even whispered about lap times.

Freaking FORD... so it's really not surprising that Michigan Police failed the Mach E. Looking at that article, lmao Drive Tesla Canada missed the crux of the MSP test. What a failboat. Because of the 5 sec max power limit, in a vehicle chase which is what the lap time testing shows, a Machh E cannot keep up in pursuits and just about anything will outrun the Mach E.

Last edited: