Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bloomberg has a good article about nickel supplies and market. Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

It's behind paywall, but essentially:

- Two types of nickel, Class I (99.8% pure, less common), and Class II (widely available from SE Asia)
- Russia produces ~ 1/3 of Class I, which is more relevant for EV batteries
- however, Class II can be processed into Class I using newer methods, with Chinese plants in Indonesia ramping up for this
- Lots of Class II coming to market in near future
- Market prices mostly influenced by small volumes of surplus product, not producer-supplier contracts which account for bulk of trade
- Nickel is not scarce and a supply boom is underway
- Prior price spikes have been followed by returns to more normal levels after a few weeks
- Bottom line - no need to panic

A Bloomberg headline (article behind a paywall) claims that there is a massive nickel short squeeze underway. I was able to get a small snippet using Reader View in Safari...

Nickel spiked briefly above $100,000 a ton on the London Metal Exchange amid a short squeeze that’s embroiled a major Chinese bank and encouraged rule changes from one of the world’s top commodity exchanges.

Last edited:
Bloomberg has a good article about nickel supplies and market. Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

It's behind paywall, but essentially:

- Two types of nickel, Class I (99.8% pure, less common), and Class II (widely available from SE Asia)
- Russia produces ~ 1/3 of Class I, which is more relevant for EV batteries
- however, Class II can be processed into Class I using newer methods, with Chinese plants in Indonesia ramping up for this
- Lots of Class II coming to market in near future
- Market prices mostly influenced by small volumes of surplus product, not producer-supplier contracts which account for bulk of trade
- Nickel is not scarce and a supply boom is underway
- Prior price spikes have been followed by returns to more normal levels after a few weeks
- Bottom line - no need to panic

A few talked about falling knife, here's my favorite paragraph of Peter Lynch's One Up on Wall Street:
Bottom fishing is a popular investor pastime, but it’s usually the fisherman who gets hooked. Trying to catch the bottom on a falling stock is like trying to catch a falling knife. It’s normally a good idea to wait until the knife hits the ground and sticks, then vibrates for a while and settles down before you try to grab it. Grabbing a rapidly falling stock results in painful surprises, because inevitably you grab it in the wrong place.

Has the knife settled yet? Or is it still vibrating or even not stick yet?

The risk tolerance is basically zero right now... any spike in something that could cause problems, will cause some selling.
I disagree. There's always a massive appetite for risk, so long as it's priced well.

All renewables plays are up 3-5% at the open and we see TSLA being held down yet again. The dam will break and we'll pop too, but this is clearly a hold-diwn situation.

A few talked about falling knife, here's my favorite paragraph of Peter Lynch's One Up on Wall Street:

No kidding. That’s great and all, but how does one know when the knife has finally settled in and is vibrating? It never looks like a falling knife when you first reach for it. It’s only after, when your palm is splayed open that you realize it.

News? or more 'fill-the-gap' gamesmanship?

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2022-03-08.09-47.png

Last edited:
I disagree. There's always a massive appetite for risk, so long as it's priced well.

All renewables plays are up 3-5% at the open and we see TSLA being held down yet again. The dam will break and we'll pop too, but this is clearly a hold-diwn situation.
Renewables are up because energy prices spiking will naturally cause demand to continue to flood in. Especially with wind having the PTC expire soon, this gives some clarity on future demand for investors. All energy is spiking right now...

Renewables are up because energy prices spiking will naturally cause demand to continue to flood in. Especially with wind having the PTC expire soon, this gives some clarity on future demand for investors. All energy is spiking right now...
I would argue that behind *perhaps* Saudi Aramco, Tesla is the largest energy company in the world. It's also transition-focused rather than legacy. You'd think that might pop today.

I'm starting to think maybe vested legacy energy interests might be exerting influence over the TSLA share price.

I would argue that behind *perhaps* Saudi Aramco, Tesla is the largest energy company in the world. It's also transition-focused rather than legacy. You'd think that might pop today.

I'm starting to think maybe vested legacy energy interests might be exerting influence over the TSLA share price.

The market looks at Tesla as an automaker. We all know here it is BS and there is a larger aspect at play long-term, but to the market, Tesla is clearly an automaker. It makes sense considering how much revenue and profit come from the auto side of the business.

From January 2022, Tesla secured nickel all ready.

These headlines of “Tesla China Sales Drop” are always comical. They purposely ignore (in the headline at least, which is all most see/understand in 2022) that they’re up 200% yoy, that the month is only 28 days, and that there are even fewer days due to Chinese New Year. Headlines should really say sales/deliveries up. Very basic math would tell you that.

These headlines of “Tesla China Sales Drop” are railways comical. They ignore (in the headline at least, which is all most see/understand in 2022) that they’re up 200% yoy, that the month is only 28 days, and that there are even fewer days due to Chinese New Year. Headlines should really say sales/deliveries up. Very basic math would tell you that.
New Shortsville Times headlines:
"Tesla China Sales, a Mic Drop"

No kidding. That’s great and all, but how does one know when the knife has finally settled in and is vibrating? It never looks like a falling knife when you first reach for it. It’s only after, when your palm is splayed open that you realize it.
I think you need to start looking at charts. Look at 5 year charts for SQ or SHOP for good examples of falling knives. When you see charts that look like that, keep your hands in your pockets.

• Informative
Reactions: 82bert